I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

7 hours ago, sblitz said:

couple of shots from London, tri-x, R6.2, 80mm R summilux -- outside shot was by the Bank tube station next to Mansion House, the woman is a guard at Gagosian, was visiting the David Bailey prints for sale .... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I love both of these shots, Steve.

• Like 1

Another taken at the mill using Lomography 400CN, Pentax MX, 85mm f2 

• Like 17

vor 7 Stunden schrieb sblitz:

Here is another version of the first shot, in case anyone wants to vote ...

My eyes seem to be in need of more training, as I can't make out any differences. What I can say though, is, that I love the classic look of the picture, with this cinematic, contrasty rendering with the full scale from black to white. The expression in the face of the man with the umbrella leaves much room for interpretation, as he seems lost in thoughts about the day, his past or his future. A man of class, welldressed in his suit and with the shiny polished shoes, walking on the wet pavement, heading to a place we will not know, let aside that we also have no clues about the place he comes from. It is pictures like these that make them superior to a movie, as all the before mentioned riddles would have easily been solved with a slight change of the point of view and some explanations brought in by the voice of a storyteller. I think you have captured an everyday scene perfectly. Thank you very much for sharing this moment of life here with us.

Edited by Sparkassenkunde
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I prefer the first version, Steve, because the slightly higher contrast makes the man stand out just a little bit clearer. This is in fact one of the best street photos I've seen for a while and really expertly executed with the right combo of focus and blur. The composition is also very interesting. My eyes first go to the mysterious man that James described so well, but soon discover the other two figures walking off in other directions. I like images like this, which create a sort of expanding visual universe.

couple of shots from London, tri-x, R6.2, 80mm R summilux -- outside shot was by the Bank tube station next to Mansion House, the woman is a guard at Gagosian, was visiting the David Bailey prints for sale .... 

This is also excellent I think, it's become an abstract of sorts, reduced to the minimum necessary building blocks. 

Zurich .... right by the train station ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, philipus said:

Another reflective abstracty sort of thing (same roll as previous one).

London

Flickr

Like this very much, Philip. A sort of Leiter composition involving reflections and the colour red. There seems to be eye contact, but equally she could have been window shopping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Shadows & Steps.  MP, 35mm Summaron f2.8, Portra 400.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, philipus said:

London

Flickr

These two window abstractions are just captivating: placement, color, blur, editing, grain. Overlays of signage (language) and imagery (visual), always intriguing from your astute eye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Red Pass No. 4
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm
E100

Another limited edit study. Kind of like the erasure of some fossil language record.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Another taken at the mill using Lomography 400CN, Pentax MX, 85mm f2 

The theatre of interrogation, so accusatory, the in-focus/out-of-focus, the burning glare of the bulb, the assault of texture, dead earth colors, and the "object"--no, I don't want to find out what it is or how it works. This is just so Samuel Beckett What Where. YouTube it--short and haunting. Double-bill it with Harold Pinter's Mountain Language. Love your editing in these shots. There's language here.

Cheers,
Rog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, philipus said:

London

Flickr

This gets a "Wow!" from me, Philip. The more you look, the more you see. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ernest said:

The theatre of interrogation, so accusatory, the in-focus/out-of-focus, the burning glare of the bulb, the assault of texture, dead earth colors, and the "object"--no, I don't want to find out what it is or how it works. This is just so Samuel Beckett What Where. YouTube it--short and haunting. Double-bill it with Harold Pinter's Mountain Language. Love your editing in these shots. There's language here.

Cheers,
Rog

Thanks Rog, it's always great to get a response from you in you inimitable style; makes it worth posting a picture just in case it somehow resonates with you.

Thanks too for the references, will definitely take a look.

• Like 3