I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Might I perhaps humbly interject a lens-related question?

I'm seeking a 28 mm or 35 mm lens for my Leicas but have difficulties deciding on which models and versions to consider in each of focal length.

The only lenses I have experience with in these focal lengths is the 35/1.4 FLE, which I sold mainly because it was too big, and the 2,8cm Hektor, which is OK but rather slow at f/6.3.

There is such a bewildering array of options that I am finding it difficult to even begin considering to think about which one(s) to choose.

Thank you in advance
Philip

• Thanks 1

Monsoon rain. North India in July. [Agfa Vista Plus 400]

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

16 hours ago, Ernest said:

Bumble Bee Number
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm & Nikon F2 Micro-Nikkor 55mm
Portra 400 & E100

Coming back to this one, Rog.  Some freshly tarred crosswalk awesomeness, me thinks... 👏

9 hours ago, stray cat said:

Ansel, er I mean Adam (got confused because of the visualization), this scene of Dumbo with the two bridges is just brilliant - it ups the ante even for you, which is saying a lot. Absolutely superb and I can only imagine your HORROR when you realized that roll hadn't accompanied you home and that JOY when you found it some time later. Remind me to tell you one day about the time I left my whole camera bag (full of gear) in a national park sometime! Back to your scene - the American flag on the right hand bridge is the icing on the delicious cake.

Rog, I feel you have entered ever new territory with these latest three assemblages. I am particularly taken with "Gray Mean" and its trompe-l'œil virtuosity. Brilliant work.

Apostolos, Keith, Philip, Marc - everyone, I don't want to leave anyone out - the quality of work just keeps getting better and better. Thank you all, it makes visiting here a "must" every day.

Good on ya, Phil - I appreciate that.  Of course there are many ways to skin a landscape.  I'm sure they can even be shot from the hip 😂.  But with all of this clunky manual film gear and the effort involved with developing and scanning, I tend to favor the pre-visualization approach.  :)  I like the artistic process of executing, using the various tangible and intangible tools that we have at our disposal.  

1 hour ago, philipus said:

I'm seeking a 28 mm or 35 mm lens for my Leicas but have difficulties deciding on which models and versions to consider in each of focal length.

The only lenses I have experience with in these focal lengths is the 35/1.4 FLE, which I sold mainly because it was too big, and the 2,8cm Hektor, which is OK but rather slow at f/6.3.

There is such a bewildering array of options that I am finding it difficult to even begin considering to think about which one(s) to choose.

Thank you in advance
Philip

Philip - I have used many 28s.  The older cron is tempting as prices have come way down.  I bought one but then sold it b/c I though it rendered too contrasty.  I really love my pre-aspherical elmarit.  There are 4 versions and I have the 4th (the last before the aspherical version) and really love how it renders on film.  It also won't break your bank. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, philipus said:

Thank you in advance
Philip

Philip, I have the 35/2.0 asph and it's perfect in every regard on digital, and on film; hard to fault it if perfection is the criteria. However I wouldn't say it's a lens of character, the elusive something that's hard to describe. If choosing again I think I would choose character over perfection. Probably best to research by looking at images of several candidate lenses.

• Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 20 Stunden schrieb philipus:

This is excellent Jörg. Looks like there was a fantastic sunset that evening.

Thanks a lot, Phil,

it was a fantastic sunrise that morning 😉

Regards Jörg

20 hours ago, philipus said:

Speaking of films that have been lost, and found again, here's an homage to transparency film. Velvia 100 shot on a print of a photo which I shot on the old Ektachrome 200 some 15 years ago.

Flickr
M6TTL 90 Elmarit-M two flashes Ektar 100 X1

Nice idea, Philip!

19 hours ago, benqui said:

Tmax 3200 with 1600, M4, Apo 90

Another absolute stunner!

12 hours ago, A miller said:

Here's one from last Thursday evening.  I have had this particular scene VISUALIZED for quite some time and have been meaning shoot it before the clocks (and thus evening light) changed.  

I have a photograph of this scene that I am really happy with at sunset with a much wider 90mm lens.  But I wanted to get a little closer so that the two bridges were more prominent and like bookends around the lovely skyline of Dumbo, Brooklyn.  I wanted to capture this scene just as the magic hour set in when the lights of the bridges turned and when the sky was dark enough to hold the color saturation in the sky as well as the water.  I really like how the Ektar captures this magic hour blue, particularly juxtaposed against the strong yellows of the artificial lights.  

I got a bonus with the trails of a boat's lights running across the frame.  With my ~3 minute exposure I had thought that they wouldn't show.  But I like that they did.  

One interesting post script to my story is that I accidentally dropped this roll of film on the ground on my way back to my car and didn't realize that I did so until I got home.  It was a late Thursday evening and I really almost jumped out of my window from frustration.  And after a half hour or so of my brain swelling at the thought of missing out and shooting a blank on that great scene, I schlepped back to my car and drove back to the spot under the FDR bridge where I took the photo and searched around with a flashlight and finally found the roll on the side of the road (see pic below).  I nearly cried with joy :)

Ektar 6x17, 180mm Schneider APO Symmar

Supe composition, light and colours. Glad you recovered the roll!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, philipus said:

Thank you in advance
Philip

Hi, Philip.

I have been using the 35mm f/2 ASPH for the last twenty plus years. No complaint at all: small, light, unobtrusive. There is a new model I think, but I see no reason why I should replace it. I'm also considering the 28mm f/2.8 ASPH for myself. I have decided to go for the previous model; it is said the new one is optimised for the digital M's, so the older one will be more flexible. Hope I was of help.

Paul

Edited by atournas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Philip, I have the 35/2.0 asph and it's perfect in every regard on digital, and on film; hard to fault it if perfection is the criteria. However I wouldn't say it's a lens of character, the elusive something that's hard to describe. If choosing again I think I would choose character over perfection. Probably best to research by looking at images of several candidate lenses.

Philip, I come back to your 35/28mm question. Steve above is very right: the 35mm cron is a bit "clinical" in rendering. Perhaps you don't like such kind of imaging.

Paul

• Thanks 1

vor 6 Minuten schrieb A miller:

I've been parading this around today, but I really do think it is 148 pages of fun and exciting flash street photography from photographer's around the world.  

One of my "snow bunnies" made it in 😂   Glad to represent the otherwise tiny (if nonexistent) film community, and, of course, NYC.  💪

I highly recommend checking out either a hard or a soft copy HERE

Congrats, Adam!

Regards Joerg

16 minutes ago, A miller said:

I've been parading this around today, but I really do think it is 148 pages of fun and exciting flash street photography from photographer's around the world.  

One of my "snow bunnies" made it in 😂   Glad to represent the otherwise tiny (if nonexistent) film community, and, of course, NYC.  💪

I highly recommend checking out either a hard or a soft copy HERE

Adam, 

Well done, and an excellent picture it is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, philipus said:

Thank you in advance
Philip

I guess you'll get as many answers as there are photographers to this one Philip. I can only add to that kerfuffle by recommending the lenses that I have in that focal length, which I absolutely would replace like for like if (horror of horrors) something was to happen to them: the 28mm Elmarit version IV (same as Adam recommended) and the 35mm Summicron version IV (the one immediately pre-aspherical). Sometimes I just look at the way these lenses translate light onto film and just smile away. It's all personal of course. I also have two Summaron 35mm f3.5s and these are outstanding, tiny lenses too, but the f2 Summicron is just that bit better in marginal light. Good luck with your search - whatever you choose you'll make beautiful pictures with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1