I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, sblitz said:

Scanning and putting it on the internet takes something away. My suggestion would be to try a roll yourself and let us know here what you think. My general feeling is that you don't get the drift into blue/green that you got with the old Ektachrome. Some liked it, I never did. I think the color drift is much better than Velvia and there isn't that oversaturated look. I am, however, interested in hearing your view. My "kibbitzing" with Adam on his pushing is just having some fun, since I know he loves to do that type of thing as well as take long exposures, which, btw, you don't have to adjust for a drift with Ektachrome.

Steve - How else are we to enjoy the slides nowadays besides scanning???  Do you really spend that much time sticking your eyeballs into your loupe on your lightbox?  Doesn't too much of that give you a backache? 😭

5 hours ago, Pax Koduri said:

Miss Marvelous

Hasselblad 500CM + 120mm Planar + Kodak TMAX100

Oh yes, beautiful Pax!

5 hours ago, sblitz said:

Great shot, as always, but I am getting tired of the Portra pastels, which has nothing to do with your photos just using this pic as a jumping off point about the film. I can in Capture One adjust the color curves to get a different, less pastel look, but this is what I like about Ektachrome -- and yes it would be better at 400 and with the latitude of portra, but then it wouldn't have the positive aspects of a transparency (including the cleaner scanning).

Thanks, Steve.  I am less discerning than you, I guess.  I love pastels (especially with family photos, as it really gives a classic look, see my attached from last

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

summer as an example of why I love Portra 160) as well as strong colors.  It's great to have the variety.  

4 hours ago, joergel said:

Leica M2 - Super-Elmar 3,4/21 - PanF in Perceptol

Awesome, Joerg. You really have a great signature, which is a pleasure to watch!

1 hour ago, benqui said:

Congrats Adam! These outstanding blizzard photos deserve it to be published!

Thanks a lot, Marc.  I need to get off of my ass on that!

1 hour ago, benqui said:

I do not care about the car: I just see a beautiful codriver (or driver) for a Ferrari, Jeep or whatever

Thanks, glad to know I am in good company :)

1 hour ago, benqui said:

M6, Apo 50, Portra 400

I agree with Gary.  You show such great B&W portraits and then throw in some great color for a refreshing change pace; not that any refreshing is needed - you know what I mean :)

Edited by A miller
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, A miller said:

Very cool, Rog, and I think I see some Northern Lights packed in there, too.  I just tear at the thought of scraping my teeth agains the sandy texture of this image! 🤐 

Fantastic colors, Rog.  What is JCH Streetpan?

Japan Camera Hunter StreetPan 400. High contrast, so I thought I'd try it.

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/shop/jch-streetpan-400-film/
https://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/09/16/japan-camera-hunter-street-pan-400-film-review/

Yeah, ADOX grain and color is something, like the mantra goes, total implosion. Thanks for introducing it with your stellar NYC shots, and thanks for your offer. I managed to commandeer a few rolls from down under, but it's as rare as hens teeth, so I have to keep my mind right, Luke. Gotta keep a cool hand on the shutter release.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wayne said:

Stunning. I wish I could see the print....and the negative. Everything else aside, it is kind of disorienting in the fact that the boulders, such they are, can appear  as a macro shot of pebbles; the tree a dried up weed. It could not be any better.

Thanks,

Wayne

12 hours ago, A miller said:

Thanks, Cailn.  I am known to some as the "hamburglar" :)

Very cool effect, Joerg.  An outside of the box idea that works very well.  

Very cool, Rog, and I think I see some Northern Lights packed in there, too.  I just tear at the thought of scraping my teeth agains the sandy texture of this image! 🤐 

Gorgeous, Phil.   Kudos for the effort in digging this up and bringing it back to life.  There are so many things to love about this image.  But for me it is the depth of the shadow detail  and then the peak of the (controlled) highlights in the tree branches.  That range is really brilliant.  I will go against the grain here and say that wet print may not be the holy grail.  I think the deep blacks and transition between tones is very much a function of what paper you use and printer.  A really good quality paper, such as an Ilford baryta paper, and a light jet printer such as an Ice or Dursta would replicate those coveted qualities of a wet print but also achieve the additional detail that as scanner is able to extract out of the negative.   Sure, it may  not have that same exact physical feel as a wet print.  But unless we are going to get lap dances and fondle our prints rather than putting them under glass and on a wall that really isn't going to be a differentiator - at least for me.

Having said this, I am sure the wet print s sublime.

Congrats again!

11 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Fairy atmosphere picture Joergel

Really beautiful black and grey  tone

Beautiful contrast in color Philip

The reflection and the color are superb Adam

Best H

7 hours ago, robert blu said:

This is superb! I agree with the many positive comments already made

robert

robert

Thank you sincerely Wayne, Adam, Henry and Robert, and to all who gave my tree/rocks picture encouragement.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Fantastic colors, Rog.  What is JCH Streetpan?

Japan Camera Hunter StreetPan 400. High contrast, so I thought I'd try it.

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/shop/jch-streetpan-400-film/
https://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/09/16/japan-camera-hunter-street-pan-400-film-review/

Yeah, ADOX grain and color is something, like the mantra goes, total implosion. Thanks for introducing it with your stellar NYC shots, and thanks for your offer. I managed to commandeer a few rolls from down under, but it's as rare as hens teeth, so I have to keep my mind right, Luke. Gotta keep a cool hand on the shutter release.

Mind how you go eating those eggs, though, least ye run afoul of the "man with no eyes."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, A miller said:

Steve - How else are we to enjoy the slides nowadays besides scanning???  Do you really spend that much time sticking your eyeballs into your loupe on your lightbox?  Doesn't too much of that give you a backache? 😭

Oh yes, beautiful Pax!

Thanks, Steve.  I am less discerning than you, I guess.  I love pastels (especially with family photos, as it really gives a classic look, see my attached from last

summer as an example of why I love Portra 160) as well as strong colors.  It's great to have the variety.  

Awesome, Joerg. You really have a great signature, which is a pleasure to watch!

Thanks a lot, Marc.  I need to get off of my ass on that!

Thanks, glad to know I am in good company :)

I agree with Gary.  You show such great B&W portraits and then throw in some great color for a refreshing change pace; not that any refreshing is needed - you know what I mean :)

OY!!!!!!!!!!!!  Really! I don't plop the pics in a slide projector, but I do think the transfer likely take some luminosity away that perhaps isn't gone with, for example, a print. And I am open, very open, to hear what others think and their experience. I am hardly putting my thoughts out there as a last word on the subject but, instead, as a first word so we can all explore the results in this corner of the forum as people post Ektachrome.

As for the the portra, it is just my opinion about the film, not your shots, and the pics of the family are beautiful and I am not even sure Ektachrome is better for a portrait. All about exploring and I certainly welcome to own opinion that I am growing a weary of the pastel look of Portra. It is not an indictment of the film, or people's use, our spaceman got a great portrait a few posts ago. I am just looking for a different look rather creating it in PP. Nothing more complicated than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, sblitz said:

OY!!!!!!!!!!!!  Really! I don't plop the pics in a slide projector, but I do think the transfer likely take some luminosity away that perhaps isn't gone with, for example, a print.

Steve - How can one make a print with your Ektachrome without a scanner???? 🤔

1 minute ago, A miller said:

Steve - How can one make a print with your Ektachrome without a scanner???? 🤔

you know as well as I do that there is scanning and there is scanning, and I am just getting my scans from color house 24MB TIFF files, could probably create better myself. Then, there is the conversion to a jpeg for internet viewing to be uploaded into the forum, and there is the quality of the screen people are using. Many Many Many people have said the uploaded pic is not as good as what they have at home. 

I venture to guess that as beautiful as those wide shots of Manhattan are, they are that much more stunning when you print on the paper of your choice -- and you have been successful in selling it.

So relax, there is a lot to learn about this new film, it is not the same Ektachrome they just gave it the same name because it has trademark value. They would call it Kodachrome if they thought they could get away with it. Let's watch this nice part of the forum unfold over time with Ektachrome shots, at box speed, at 80ISO, pushed one stop, pushed two, and have fun with seeing the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sblitz said:

you know as well as I do that there is scanning and there is scanning, and I am just getting my scans from color house 24MB TIFF files, could probably create better myself. Then, there is the conversion to a jpeg for internet viewing to be uploaded into the forum, and there is the quality of the screen people are using. Many Many Many people have said the uploaded pic is not as good as what they have at home. 

I venture to guess that as beautiful as those wide shots of Manhattan are, they are that much more stunning when you print on the paper of your choice -- and you have been successful in selling it.

So relax, there is a lot to learn about this new film, it is not the same Ektachrome they just gave it the same name because it has trademark value. They would call it Kodachrome if they thought they could get away with it. Let's watch this nice part of the forum unfold over time with Ektachrome shots, at box speed, at 80ISO, pushed one stop, pushed two, and have fun with seeing the results.

Gotcha, Steve.   But all film scans suffer from compression - not just Ektachrome.   Never really stopped me from appreciating the finer qualities of the different film stocks.   Nuff said on this one, though :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sblitz said:

Hi Steve I know this subject very well as I practice and read in many articles Photo ...  the result is someone here calls me  

"can's worms"

You are right to scan in TIFF Steve , and with max bits if you can 24 bits is good , so the "palette color"  is richer 

The size when I scan in TIFF (with only 16 bits -scan Nikon CS- is 120 MB) for ONE picture ,  it's very big and I have a hard disk for saving all my  photos in TIFF .

And in addition , when you watch pictures in Tiff it is better and nicer , than in Jpeg compressed like  when you post here .

You lose in quality in Jpeg  and in addition too sharp like digital pictures IMO .... I remind you  and as you already know the scanner

has a CCD sensor WITHOUT  Bayer Filter  , not the same case when you scan with a digital camera with Bayer F (color denatured) . 

Best  H

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Calin said:

First Ektachrome 200 second Fuji C200.

Same camera same lens same flash same exposer.

Fuji is not for people

1-

9 hours ago, Calin said:

2-

Calin  a little "yellowish"  with Fuji as usual  ....  skin color is more faithful with Ektachrome Calin

Thanks for you comparison post.

Best H

Liberty square, Tbilisi

Flickr
40/4 CFE+PC Mutar Ektar X1 Edited by philipus
  • Like 14

5 hours ago, stray cat said:

For a couple of years my professional specialty was koalas. This one was easy to find - she and her baby were in our backyard:

Koala, Somers 1998

Nikon N8008, AF Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 IF-ED, Ilford FP4+

Lovely animal portrait Phil :) On a technical note I really like the just deep enough depth of field.

• Like 2