I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Parking was maxed out before the game and people had to park 3/4 a mile away from the stadium.  The tailgating bus had nothing to do with the cab. I saw the bus and just waited for one of the cabs to pass.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

UltraMax 400, M6 35 f/2

Looks like the lens hood has been somewhat defeated on LHS of image. Can't think of another explanation (the M6 has just had a CLA,  and although the first roll following the overhaul, all the other frames look ok to me).

• Like 16

Happy New Year! I shot a roll of Tri-X with an ND 1.8 and old Summilux 50 with some interesting results ... well, interesting to me at least 😬My goal for 2019 is more creative camera angles!

• Like 18

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 19

2 hours ago, RayD28 said:

Parking was maxed out before the game and people had to park 3/4 a mile away from the stadium.  The tailgating bus had nothing to do with the cab. I saw the bus and just waited for one of the cabs to pass.  

Nice photo. It makes me reflect on life: In youth, I contemplated polygamy as possibly a good thing; age allows me to better see problems with the concept.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Final market before Xmas, Keswick ...

M6, VM Nokton 40, Kodak T-max 400

• Like 14

On 12/25/2018 at 1:23 AM, benqui said:

Tmax 3200, 2.8/50 Elmar, M6

and of course a merry christmas to the crazy film enthusiasts here in this forum. It is a joy to see all the different photos which are taken by film!

Hi and happy new year.

I've seen you've been shooting a lot of TMax P3200 with excellent results and I have a couple of questions for you. What EI do you shoot it at? What do you feel about the grain? I shot 2 rolls at EI 1600 (sometimes overexposing by another 1/2 stop) and developed them for 3200. It looks to me this is another film that really needs light otherwise it gets really grainy. I know nominally it is a 800 iso film. It seems to work great when the scene has a lot of contrast: in this case the grain is less visible in the highlights; while when the scene is flat, the grain is everywhere. 

Maybe next time I'll rate it 800 and develop for 3200. 

Of course, forgive me if I have said stupid things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Leica M6 - Summicron 2/50 - JCH streetpan400 - Rodinal

A heads up on a Clifford Still and Photography exhibit at the museum in Denver.  It would be useful if the museum published a catalog, but we will have to wait to see if that happens.  I did not see it listed among their publications. 

https://clyffordstillmuseum.org/exhibition/clyfford-still-photography/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb AntonioF:

Hi and happy new year.

I've seen you've been shooting a lot of TMax P3200 with excellent results and I have a couple of questions for you. What EI do you shoot it at? What do you feel about the grain? I shot 2 rolls at EI 1600 (sometimes overexposing by another 1/2 stop) and developed them for 3200. It looks to me this is another film that really needs light otherwise it gets really grainy. I know nominally it is a 800 iso film. It seems to work great when the scene has a lot of contrast: in this case the grain is less visible in the highlights; while when the scene is flat, the grain is everywhere. 

Maybe next time I'll rate it 800 and develop for 3200. 

Of course, forgive me if I have said stupid things.

Hi Antonio, also a happy New Year for you and your family!

Of course these are not stupid questions at all. With EI 3200 the film looks very grainy, but I use it when I have a person in the light and the rest is much darker. But if I have enough light, my favorite EI is 1600 and develop it for 1600 with XTol. With 1600, the grain is much easier to handle. But I am still in the testing phase. There is a lab in Germany (MeinFilmLab) which develop and scan film in a very good quality and the owner of the lab told me that the film shows very good results with EI 1000. During my next shooting, I will give it a try.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, benqui said:

Your Portra is really perfect for your color street photography. The Ektachrome seems to be a little greenish. Is this a result of the pushing process?

I know Adam likes to push and pull and develop at totally different speeds, all part of the fun and discovery of using different films. When it comes to Ektachrome, my thoughts are box speed a 1/2 stop underexposed really brings out the beauty of the film. Anything else is like trying to turn a Ferrari into a Jeep. At least in my opinion. I am thankful Adam pushed and posted, saves me a roll from trying the same!!!!!  Good thing it is easier (for me) to have a steady hand with a Leica M. Happy new year to one and all.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, benqui said:

Your Portra is really perfect for your color street photography. The Ektachrome seems to be a little greenish. Is this a result of the pushing process?

Thanks, Marc.  I totally agree about the Portra 400.  I push it a stop most of the time and the colors are really terrific - and then there is the latitude.   I do see the greenish hue in the shadows of the Ektachrome photo that I shared last light.  I think it has more to do with me trying to open up the shadows in the scanning process too much than it does with the native characteristics of the film.  This is of course slide film and the conditions are by no means controlled especially in the early morning with the shifting shadows and narrow bands of light.,which I really love but some times the slides film just doesn't flex enough on the exposure.  This image came very contrasty.  You'll see that the faces are well exposed but the deep shadows are all crushed.  I love this but think there probably isn't enough subjects in the light to hold up.  

Here is a photo of the positive to show that there is no greenish hue in the shadows.  They are black with a slight warmth which is mostly from the push.  I am also sharing another version of the photo that matches more closely the positive itself.  The Hasselblad X1 does a phenomenal job with the shadows of slide film.   I found so many details in the shadows by lifting them in the scanning process than you could even see in the film on the lightbox!  The downside is that the scanned add a slight greenish hue to the deep shadows in order to fill in the space.  It is correctable but you have to go back to the level of exposure that is inherent in the positive and only lift the shadows slightly.

I actually like the scene.  There is something about the angle of the person in the front juxtaposed against the person just behind that makes my eyes move around.  I may make a test print and see if the exposure holds up on paper (which I have my doubts about :(

All really fun to discuss and thanks for the observation.  I just finished two more rolls of E100 pushed a stop and look forward to getting the results tomorrow!!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sblitz said:

I know Adam likes to push and pull and develop at totally different speeds, all part of the fun and discovery of using different films. When it comes to Ektachrome, my thoughts are box speed a 1/2 stop underexposed really brings out the beauty of the film. Anything else is like trying to turn a Ferrari into a Jeep. At least in my opinion. I am thankful Adam pushed and posted, saves me a roll from trying the same!!!!!  Good thing it is easier (for me) to have a steady hand with a Leica M. Happy new year to one and all.

Steve - According to a friend who was able to beta test the Ektachrome before it was released and has used it extensively, the film should be easily pushable with good results up to three stops.  Here is a test of 1, 2 and 3 stop pushes with the film:

https://emulsive.org/reviews/film-reviews/kodak-film-reviews/film-review-kodak-ektachrome-e100-shot-at-ei-100-200-400-800-first-impressions?fbclid=IwAR3FiuWzYCzlIOR_7bOwZGU386d8lx_QV6FsDDNDGDsxVJb4rIjB25tdpNw

I personally agree with this up to a stop but wouldn't "push" my luck more than that simply because the lighting tends to constantly be changing and the more the film is pushed the less of the otherwise narrow latitude it will have and the more prone I will be to ruining the image.

I think the very contrasty results that I have shared are simply a function of the very contrasty environment in which I was shooting.  (I get the same contrasty results from the Portra 400 that I use in these early morning very contrasty situations: 

In a well exposed scene, the one stop push should boost the contrast and color saturation just slightly.  Still very much a Ferrari and perfectly good.  You only start getting Jeeps if you screw up the exposure, which is very easy to do with slide film in these situations.   Reluctance to push even one stop is like never driving your Ferrari above the speed limit 😉 

After I finish the handful of rolls of E100 I will probably go back to Portra 400 and only return to the E100 for an occasional change of pace.  

• Like 15