I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another with the CM in the same garden. Was testing my CM before taking it on a holiday.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

from an exhibit

M6, Summicron 35 asph, HP5@1600

20181118-DSC01716 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 18

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Wayne said:

Thanks for the compliments. Among other things, this camera and lens combo have inspired me to move forward with the enlarger Mike so graciously made it possible for me to obtain. I was, as is my habit, looking at the negatives at various angles in reflected light and became absorb by the depth of the image presented....A depth I never quite see in a scan. It is magic. Light and chemistry. Infinite. Thanks again, Henry, for starting the thread.

Hey Phil! Evidently your PM box is full.

Best,

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. I've just bitten the bullet and taken out premium membership, so the inbox should be liberated - at least for a while...

Could not agree with you more about those special qualities of film. I also find that scans - and prints from scans - lack "life" compared with darkroom prints. And darkroom prints innately carry within them always the human hand/mind process that developed/created them. The process and the tactility of film is indeed magic - there is no substitute for that.

I watched and highly recommend this fascinating and instructive video interview with Trent Parke last night wherein he expounds on precisely the same qualities of film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHVXEzfo6DQ

• Like 5

Practicing soccer/football. A magical , sunny, Sunday afternoon.

IIIA, 50 Summicron, Efke KB-50

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, benqui said:

First steps with the Plaubel Makina 67 and Ilford Delta 400

best regards

Marc

Another stunner, Marc.  And it has a good feel of the Delta 400.  The only thing that is slightly distracting to to my eyes on the full screen is the fact that the same strength of light that is on her face is also on her left hand.  While it is very true that the hand and face are on essentially on the same plane and thus were exposed to the light to the same extent, a slight reduction of the intensity of the brightness on the hand might perfect this image even more by honing the viewer's eyes directly on the beautiful face, without tugging it downward toward the hand.  

Just my two cents and really a comment at the margins (dancing on the head of a pin, as they say 🧚‍♀️)

Edited by A miller
  • Like 3

• Like 15

4 hours ago, benqui said:

best regards

Marc

First steps look good..... great camera.

Edited by MT0227
  • Like 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Another stunner, Marc.  And it has a good feel of the Delta 400.  The only thing that is slightly distracting to to my eyes on the full screen is the fact that the same strength of light that is on her face is also on her left hand.  While it is very true that the hand and face are on essentially on the same plane and thus were exposed to the light to the same extent, a slight reduction of the intensity of the brightness on the hand might perfect this image even more by honing the viewer's eyes directly on the beautiful face, without tugging it downward toward the hand.  

Just my two cents and really a comment at the margins (dancing on the head of a pin, as they say 🧚‍♀️)

Thanks a lot for your hints Adam, I really appreciate it! To be honest, I did not notice the fact with the brightness of the hand. But you are right. Maybe this is one of my weak points in portrait photography: when I am satisfied with the face, sometimes I forget the rest.

• Like 1

Hello gentlemen

I just observed, with my own photos, that I tend to frame with the camera in portrait orientation almost one-third of the time; speaking rectangular format of course. Is that too often? How do you folks do? I would be interested to know if you care to share...

Here is another vertical... 

CZ  [Portra 400]

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Suede said:

Hello gentlemen

I just observed, with my own photos, that I tend to frame with the camera in portrait orientation almost one-third of the time; speaking rectangular format of course. Is that too often? How do you folks do? I would be interested to know if you care to share...

CZ  [Portra 400]

You’re in good company with Ralph Gibson. If you listen to him you’ll find he talks about portrait adding to the abstraction he’s after. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Suede said:

Hello gentlemen

CZ  [Portra 400]

My ratio is probably the same as yours. The funny thing, when I shoot a camera that is naturally orients vertical, i.e half frame or Rolleikin, I love the vertical. My guess is that my brain just naturally goes to the designed orientation of the camera. It is an interesting subject.

Best,

Wayne

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Steve Ricoh said:

You’re in good company with Ralph Gibson. If you listen to him you’ll find he talks about portrait adding to the abstraction he’s after. 

Good one, Pritam.  Portrait mode works great here.  Just shows that your mind is always toggling between the two formats and keen on finding the right composition.   You execute on that well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, benqui said:

best regards

Marc

Superb Marc

Nice expression taken at the right moment "à la manière de Henri Cartier Bresson"

Best H

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1