I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Pax Koduri said:

Accidentally double exposed a few frames because of my habit of loaded and unloading partially exposed rolls of film. You can see a new wed couple's first dance superimposed by the 30th Street Station in Philadelphia a stunning Art Deco era train station.

Shot with Leica M6 + 35mm Summicron ASPH + TriX

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nice shot. It never ceases to amaze me, accidental double exposures seem to always be more interesting than those taken with purpose.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ernest said:

Artifice of Proscenium Polyptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA
Ektachrome E100

Love this one, Rog.  That blue gray is one of my very favorite colors in a photograph.

20 hours ago, edwardkaraa said:

Awesome!

Thanks, Edward!  :)

20 hours ago, Ernest said:

Just a little bit of awesome. No, check that--a lot of AWESOME! So three dimensional. Scale is everything. Did you consider dividing the diptych horizontally at the horizon line, instead of vertically? Can't wait to see the next master art work from the Adam Atelier

Thanks a lot Rog.  Yes, we did consider a horizontal sectional but it didn't seem to work to me bc I didn't like to way all of the sky would have been on the top sectional and all of the land in the bottom.  It sort of took the Jordanian mountains out of the photo b/c they would have lost in the edges of the two sections.  Ideally I would have done a single piece, it's just that the Fuji Flex maxes out at 48" on the wide side.

19 hours ago, Ernest said:

Ah, yes, Bauhaus. Mies van der Rohe Barcelona daybed and three-seater sofa with what looks like the Tugendhat coffee table (or style, anyway). I am thinking they need a 6x17 format Miller sunset, warm colors, as a counterpoint to the cool blue and white of the Dead Sea. Or, of course, there's the Fall Foliage (Jackson Pollock) abstract realism, which could be hung flush to the corner and reflected in a 2'x2' mirror on the adjoining (doorway) wall to produce an infinity effect. Gerhard Richter has done this with gallery installations of his smaller rectangular paintings to good effect using clear glass hung on the adjoining wall. Dead Sea perfectly coordinates with the white van der Rohe.

WOW - you have talent beyond my wildest limits of style capability!!  I wish I had your expertise as there are many occasions where I am asked to suggest one of my photos for a particular space.   Perhaps I will reach out and pick that tremendous brain of yours one of these days! 

15 hours ago, stray cat said:

An enormous and sincere thank you to Wayne, Edward and Adam, and to all who have given my Sri Lankan pictures a thumbs up. We'd love to go back sometime - when we were there, there was a civil war in process - a massive lorry bomb was found in Colombo timed to go off just as we'd have been having breakfast in the hotel adjacent. It all seems completely irreconcilable with the happy, friendly people we universally met there.

Adam, that "color field" landscape is breathtaking. One sees (and attempts!) many of these sorts of shots but I've never seen it done better. Perfect balance and color.

SO great that your "3D Dead Sea" picture (in two parts) will grace such a phenomenal house. Congratulations! BTW I want that house - is that asking too much?

Rog, I definitely feel I have learned so much from you and your considered and expansive posts. I certainly look at pictures differently as a consequence; but more than that, I now look at life with a refreshed and invigorated perspective. Photography is, as you surmise, most definitely theater - at times, of the absurd certainly, but as we keep being reminded in this thread, of the most beautiful and exhilarating kind as a matter of course.

Speaking of theater, your Artifice of Proscenium anticipates the arrival onto stage of the actors, or into the arena of the legions. A couple of nice Mondrian flourishes accent a sea (there's that recurrent theme) of the most subtle shades of blue. I can see this, obscenely large of course, gracing, along with 3D Dead Sea, that new house in Connecticut that I'm hopeful Adam's patrons will give me.

Sincere thanks, Phil.  I agree that they should at least have us over for a weekend of shooting in the country - perhaps next Fall? 😉  I understand that the wife is a very prominent psychiatrist in NYC.  Perhaps we can also get to her psychoanalyze us in exchange for Rog giving interior design advice 😁

11 hours ago, Suede said:

La Tournette. M6. 35mm view. Agfa Vista Plus 400.

WOW - briliant, Pritam.  I just love these landscapes.  So inspiring.  The exposure is so spot on and the scene can be looked at endlessly.  

11 hours ago, Suede said:

Very impressive, Adam. Congratulations! You have been sharing some sterling photos here and a simple "Like" or "Thank you" really can't express all the appreciation I feel.

When your photographs start getting bigger than you, you can be sure that you're well on your way... 👏

I really appreciate that and the feeling is most certainly mutual, Pritam!

11 hours ago, Wayne said:

It is quite an honor to be able to commune, on this thread, with a talent such as yourself, Adam. Long ago, when ship pulled into Haifa during Iran hostage event, I did get a chance to visit Dead Sea. I was young and do not clearly remember the view. More importantly, your photos bring back fond memories of how affectionately were treated by every Israeli we encountered; I do clearly remember that. It brings a tear to my eye. Thanks for posting.

Best,

Wayne

Wow, never knew of that personal history of yours, Wayne.  I hope that someday you'll trek up here and we can talk about it.   I really appreciate the comment.  One hour on an Israel highway or busy urban street and I think you'll quickly lose that affection, unfortunately.  But they do still have much of that "sabra" mentality (i.e., tend to be hard and prickly on the outside but soft and sweet on the inside). 

10 hours ago, Suede said:

Nestled in the French Alps – La Chartreuse du Reposoir – a monastery in the department of Haute-Savoie. Agfa Vista Plus 400.

WOW!

5 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

Autumn leaves on Portra 400. (Leica R5, 35mm Elmarit-R).

Awesome, Keith.  Love the painterly aspect to this.

4 hours ago, analog-digital said:

Fuji GF670W, 4/55mm, Fuji Neopan Acros 100

wow, that is wide.  Love the perspective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

Nice shot. It never ceases to amaze me, accidental double exposures seem to always be more interesting than those taken with purpose.

Best,

Wayne

So true Wayne. Here is another one from the same roll. I sent it to the couple exactly 10 years after their wedding as I had just rediscovered it while going through some old negatives. They had a 16X22 print made for their living room.

Edited by Pax Koduri
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, A miller said:

Sincere thanks, Phil.  I agree that they should at least have us over for a weekend of shooting in the country - perhaps next Fall? 😉  I understand that the wife is a very prominent psychiatrist in NYC.  Perhaps we can also get to her psychoanalyze us in exchange for Rog giving interior design advice 😁

Count Sue and I in for next fall if you can swing it, Adam! I think if the unwitting psychiatrist tried to analyze dinosaurs like all of us here still shooting film she'd probably end up in need of therapy herself! And I think Rog definitely has a budding career in interior design, especially if he keeps this thread in mind when it comes to recommending artwork for the walls, as Pax has proven above... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Doc Henry said:

At the request of many of you like  Phil, Gary, Chris, James ,Adam , Edward .... and many Others  Great Thanks to you ,

here is a photo of poppy  that only the film can render at its fair value !

From the can ’s worm” who loves film  and who opened this thread in 2013 !

Bravo! I have truly missed the poppies.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doc Henry said:

At the request of many of you like  Phil, Gary, Chris, James ,Adam , Edward .... and many Others  Great Thanks to you ,

Hi Henry!!!!   Nobody does poppies like you!  You are a real “can of poppies!!!  Wait, forget i said that! 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Welcome back!!!!!!!  Poppies are especially warranted as we just celebrated 100 years since the end of "The Great War"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Who said "Film picture is like a painting" and "has a soul"   ?

From the can ’s worm” who loves film  and who opened this thread in 2013  !

Leica M7 - Apo Summicron Asph - Kodak Portra 400

Thanks Wayne , Adam and Steve  glad to read you  !

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 17
  • Haha 1

Ihagee Exa, Westar 50/2.8, Kodak 200

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, Doc Henry said:

Who said "Film picture is like a painting" and "has a soul"   ?

From the can ’s worm” who loves film  and who opened this thread in 2013  !

Thanks Wayne , Adam and Steve  great to read you  !

Salut Henry

Very pleased to see you back among us... and thanks a lot for bringing the flowers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

nice shot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to see you back Doc 😊

Sadly not a poppy ...

Mamiya 645 Pro TL, Kodak Portra 160

• Like 19

Evening glow.

Ihagee Exa, 50/2.8 Westar, Kodak 200

• Like 14

Berlin City Cube Homemade 8X10 inch camera Fujion 5.6 180 mm Fomapan 100

• Like 14

Rock for the bed, morning light.   [Agfa Vista+ 400]

• Like 11