I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Portra 400 and the portable phone.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

21 hours ago, A miller said:

These are excellent, Phil.  This is one my favorite, as you seem to be right there in the middle of that field with her.  There's such as rich sense of context and culture.  

Very cool, Rog!

21 hours ago, edwardkaraa said:

Wow! This is National Geographic material, Phil! 

22 hours ago, Wayne said:

Just brilliant. The subject, of course, dominates, but the details, like the earth just to the left of his leg, or the lower corner of the building........Just incredible.

20 hours ago, A miller said:

Wow, really beautiful!!  Fall is great! I just wish it could stick around a little longer.  We had a freak strong snow blizzard yesterday in NYC and I fear that all will be brown this weekend after it all melts😖

Here's another one from this past Monday... :)

Ektar 6x17, 180mm Schnieder

14 hours ago, A miller said:

The room in the country house in Connecticut where the piece will be hung (the wood-panel wall on the left)

6 hours ago, Ernest said:

Thanks, Phil, for your insightful feedback, which lets me know I'm not too much of a Looney Tune with my "off-the-wall" experiments. I smile at your Beckett reference because one of the linchpins in Waiting for Godot is repetition, a hallmark of theatre of the absurd and an idea central to this piece. For me, in many ways, photography is theatre. Not only is it about performance but perspective. I launched Seascape Language with the deconstructive sense that the artifice of the photographs, mainly the seascape, is never abandoned. The seascape as a subject has always entertained artists, photographers, poets, novelists, and composers. My aim, here, is to underscore the language of the photograph, hence the letterpress type, in terms of the window or mirror dichotomy. Are we looking through a window or at a theatre projection. At first glance, it looks like a continuous scene, as though we're looking out of two windows or seeing a double projection. But, the two scenes are separated by a lapse in time. They are composed in the traditional formats: landscape and portrait. Again, underscoring the vernacular of photographic perspective. No people are present, so there is only the perspective of the photographer who enlists the viewer to adopt the same visual perspective. Where repetition comes into play is the ping pong back-and-forth viewing of the two seascapes. Comparing, they are similar but different. And then, there's the typography, reading from left to right, then right to left, back and forth. Does it say something or not? NOP starts the "nope," but it's just the middle of the English alphabet, the tool of language and words. It reminds me of Borges's "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote," reading the passage written by Menard and comparing it to the exact same passage written by Cervantes. Back and forth, back and forth, yet Menard holds that he is the true author of the Quixote.

6 hours ago, Ernest said:

Artifice of Proscenium Polyptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA
Ektachrome E100

An enormous and sincere thank you to Wayne, Edward and Adam, and to all who have given my Sri Lankan pictures a thumbs up. We'd love to go back sometime - when we were there, there was a civil war in process - a massive lorry bomb was found in Colombo timed to go off just as we'd have been having breakfast in the hotel adjacent. It all seems completely irreconcilable with the happy, friendly people we universally met there.

Adam, that "color field" landscape is breathtaking. One sees (and attempts!) many of these sorts of shots but I've never seen it done better. Perfect balance and color.

SO great that your "3D Dead Sea" picture (in two parts) will grace such a phenomenal house. Congratulations! BTW I want that house - is that asking too much?

Rog, I definitely feel I have learned so much from you and your considered and expansive posts. I certainly look at pictures differently as a consequence; but more than that, I now look at life with a refreshed and invigorated perspective. Photography is, as you surmise, most definitely theater - at times, of the absurd certainly, but as we keep being reminded in this thread, of the most beautiful and exhilarating kind as a matter of course.

Speaking of theater, your Artifice of Proscenium anticipates the arrival onto stage of the actors, or into the arena of the legions. A couple of nice Mondrian flourishes accent a sea (there's that recurrent theme) of the most subtle shades of blue. I can see this, obscenely large of course, gracing, along with 3D Dead Sea, that new house in Connecticut that I'm hopeful Adam's patrons will give me.

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, AntonioF said:

Two of my father's brothers, last summer, after lunch at the country house. They were 5.

Leica M3, Canon LTM 50/1.4, Pan F

Great shot. Brings to mind  evenings around Bocce court in Spigno Vecchio. I had a buddy who lived in the town. Great memory. Thanks for the photo.

OBTW, I passed on the Fiat, but should receive my new Moto Guzzi V7 III in next week or so. Viva I'Italia. :)

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, A miller said:

😎

Very impressive, Adam. Congratulations! You have been sharing some sterling photos here and a simple "Like" or "Thank you" really can't express all the appreciation I feel.

When your photographs start getting bigger than you, you can be sure that you're well on your way... 👏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, A miller said:

Thought I would share with a finished product that I have been working on for a client.  Some might recall that I mentioned this photograph a couple of months ago, which was taken at the Dead Sea on my SWC (6x6) with Velvia 50 and the client wanted to go really big - 72"x72" -  but I wasn't sure whether it would be successful as I really hadn't even pushed the limited of my 6x6's that much.  Well, we did a test print and it looked good and I felt comfortable giving my approval for a two-sectional each 36"x72".

Photo is printed on Fuji Flex high gloss paper, mounted on plexiglass and backed with dibond, which was over $500 more than the typical sintra back, but I felt that client's standards (they live on Park avenue and have a beautiful second home in the country, where this piece is going) warranted the extra nuanced quality.

Looks pretty...well...hot! ♨️ 😉

It is quite an honor to be able to commune, on this thread, with a talent such as yourself, Adam. Long ago, when ship pulled into Haifa during Iran hostage event, I did get a chance to visit Dead Sea. I was young and do not clearly remember the view. More importantly, your photos bring back fond memories of how affectionately were treated by every Israeli we encountered; I do clearly remember that. It brings a tear to my eye. Thanks for posting.

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Thanks 2

Nestled in the French Alps – La Chartreuse du Reposoir – a monastery in the department of Haute-Savoie. Agfa Vista Plus 400.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

Great shot. Brings to mind  evenings around Bocce court in Spigno Vecchio. I had a buddy who lived in the town. Great memory. Thanks for the photo.

OBTW, I passed on the Fiat, but should receive my new Moto Guzzi V7 III in next week or so. Viva I'Italia. :)

Wayne

Thanks! And I can only say congratulations for the Moto Guzzi! A classic!

A few years ago I went to buy an Indian clone of a Vespa (LML Star) and I showed my wife the V7 saying that'll be my next bike, but I never went back to look at it 😆

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 11:30 AM, Ouroboros said:

Spitfire MkV and Hurricane.

Both the aircraft in this image are connected with my family.  I won't go into a lengthy explanation of how and why, suffice to say it was a unique and rather emotional moment to see them together like this.

Both aircraft saw action in WW2.

Leica MP

28mm summicron asph

Heliopan yellow

TMax 100

Thank you - a very meaningful photo. I'd be interested to hear the story behind your comment.

• Like 6

Suede, your landscape pictures are truly inviting! 

All I have to share at the moment are autumn pictures:

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Suede, your landscape pictures are truly inviting! 

All I have to share at the moment are autumn pictures:

Thank you, James. So lucky to have pleasing landscapes where I live; I am sometimes tempted to bite into medium format. What keeps me on the straight and narrow of 35mm is the weight factor. I just don't have the courage to carry heavy equipment around in the mountains! 😊  

• Like 1

ARAX CM, 4/50mm, Ilford FP4 Plus 125

• Like 12

Fuji GF670W, 4/55mm, Fuji Neopan Acros 100

• Like 18

On 11/15/2018 at 8:42 AM, R-4 said:

Agfa-negatve-film in black and white, R-4, Summicron-R-50  (Jewish cemetery in Görlltz, Saxony, Germany)

Great shot, amazing it is still standing ....... Germans destroyed by ancestors in Livov during WWII, can't go back and use it to trace them. Used the headstones to pave roads for tanks. Also went to the oldest Jewish cemetery in E Berlin, just a memorial park now .... Wonderful how this remains! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Accidentally double exposed a few frames because of my habit of loaded and unloading partially exposed rolls of film. You can see a new wed couple's first dance superimposed by the 30th Street Station in Philadelphia a stunning Art Deco era train station.

Shot with Leica M6 + 35mm Summicron ASPH + TriX

• Like 15