I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I fogot to quote Phil:

"A shocking, harrowing story. What did you feel, standing there?"

The passage of time. Wonderment related to the fact that I am still here after 58 years. Resolution to be braver, a better man. But mostly, melancholy. It's so easy to deal with geography: we just move from one place to another. For the rest of the day, and even now, it made/makes me try to think of time from a geographical perspective......I know. Impossible. Sort of another barrier between mind and body. 

Your question made me think, again, about Lawrence B. In a post on another site I recalled a Maya Angelou writing in which she related her views of human interaction; I cannot remember all of it but do remember the conclusion:...."People will always remember how you make them feel." I think it true. The alley, the bank building, the things in our pockets or hanging from our necks, what real value do they have to us in isolation? I am grateful for Lawrence. I am grateful for the police officer who recounted so meaningfully the experience of waiting for investigators. They are just like me. It makes me contemplate, on a visceral level, how similar we all are. The effects of geography, politics, media not withstanding.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 6

Thank you sincerely Wayne. I just knew your thoughts would be both intensely personal and expansively universal. I can imagine how would moving proximity to such a scene is. I felt it, too, when I stood on the spot last year where thousands of flowers were lain by, in the main, strangers to mark the spot where six innocent people, including a baby and children, had been killed - and many maimed and injured - by some fuckwit who drove his car into a crowded mall. I can imagine it, but I fail to comprehend it. Perhaps that is just as well.

• Like 3

Thank you very much Peter for these suggestions. I'll be sure to PM you when I know exactly when in October I will be there, it's towards the end but that's all I know now.

Thank you! Uh, there is a lot. Old town (but touristy), Mtskheta cathedral during Sunday mess, Bethlemi church area, the villages above the city.
Drop me a PM. And contact me when you get there, maybe I or my girl friend/partner (Georgian) and I can show your around (:

I am getting so bloody tired of all the school/mall/anywhere shootings that happen in the US. In my view it's really pathetic that not more is done to sort this out.

I fogot to quote Phil:

"A shocking, harrowing story. What did you feel, standing there?"

The passage of time. Wonderment related to the fact that I am still here after 58 years. Resolution to be braver, a better man. But mostly, melancholy. It's so easy to deal with geography: we just move from one place to another. For the rest of the day, and even now, it made/makes me try to think of time from a geographical perspective......I know. Impossible. Sort of another barrier between mind and body. 

Your question made me think, again, about Lawrence B. In a post on another site I recalled a Maya Angelou writing in which she related her views of human interaction; I cannot remember all of it but do remember the conclusion:...."People will always remember how you make them feel." I think it true. The alley, the bank building, the things in our pockets or hanging from our necks, what real value do they have to us in isolation? I am grateful for Lawrence. I am grateful for the police officer who recounted so meaningfully the experience of waiting for investigators. They are just like me. It makes me contemplate, on a visceral level, how similar we all are. The effects of geography, politics, media not withstanding.

What a lovely portrait, and it makes for the beginnings of a great series of images together with the one you posted earlier.

dreamer

34696742545_9dc3232116_b.jpg

canon t90 | ts35mm | trix-d76

• Like 4

There is too much of awesomeness in this thread lately! Be it 1GB big Ektarlicious scenes of New York or their only slightly smaller b&w siblings, portraits of gorgeous women in square format or stunning pictures from the coldest and remotest regions on earth. Although some of the pictures tickle the small region in my brain responsible for GAS, I for now try to stand it and  concentrate on the gear I own and love. Just yesterday I processed the first roll out of my lately acquired Ricoh GR1. It came with a roll of Kodak T-Max 400 in it, with a lot of pictures left on it to do the first tests. What I found on this roll after development in Rodinal is very promising - I hope the camera will last for a while. Here come two shots from yesterday, the STS Sedov in Warnemunde at the Baltic Sea Coast:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

As promised:

• Like 18

awesomely seductive!

You lookin’ at me? You lookin’ at me? Love the composition, background window framing, and shallow DOF!

Beautiful picture and very beautiful girl for sure...  :wub:

Your portraits of attractive women are always tasteful, Marc. 

Thank you very much!! I am very happy that you like it! Although I do many portraits digitally, I love much more the magic of film. Is it better? No! Does it feel better? Yes!! Although my failure rate is higher with analog photography, the fun factor is higher with film

• Like 2

There is too much of awesomeness in this thread lately! Be it 1GB big Ektarlicious scenes of New York or their only slightly smaller b&w siblings, portraits of gorgeous women in square format or stunning pictures from the coldest and remotest regions on earth. Although some of the pictures tickle the small region in my brain responsible for GAS, I for now try to stand it and  concentrate on the gear I own and love. Just yesterday I processed the first roll out of my lately acquired Ricoh GR1. It came with a roll of Kodak T-Max 400 in it, with a lot of pictures left on it to do the first tests. What I found on this roll after development in Rodinal is very promising - I hope the camera will last for a while. Here come two shots from yesterday, the STS Sedov in Warnemunde at the Baltic Sea Coast:

attachicon.gifBild-1-144.jpg

James the Ricoh GR1 is a camera which I also like a lot. You are never safe to get a GAS! But I do not have as many eyes as I would need for the cameras I like! Enjoy your new camera! The results look very good to me

• Like 1

When I was in Kashan, Iran, I met this very likeable young man while I was walking through the streets. I asked him to take a photo, and he said no problem, but only with his father. So he went into the house and came back with his father. Although this photo is from the technical point of view not good at all, the father is not sharp, the lightning is not perfect, it is one of my favorite pictures. It is very emotional, you feel the strong relationship, the respect and love between the young man and his father.

best regards

Marc

attachicon.giffather (1 von 1).jpg

Marc, if the picture's strong enough - and this one most certainly is - then whatever perceived technical issues fly out the window. The picture stands as it is. The father being out of focus in relationship to the son becomes part of the narrative, of what the picture has to say. The lighting too. I am glad this emotional picture counts among your favourites. It deserves to.

• Like 3

Fountain Square, Cincinnati

IIIA, 28 Summaron LTM, Tri-X

• Like 15

I have started using the X1 and am trying to get the hang of it.  Not fully in command yet but can sense to potential. :)

Adam, how did you sort the scanning of your 6x17 in the end?

Beautiful!!  

I joined a rather small sail boat along the western coast of Greenland a few years back. My 'mission' was to measure temperature and salinity along the coast, and then in particular close to the gigantic ice streams. It is not only the global air temperature that increases, but the ocean temperature as well (actually, more than 90 percent of the increase in heat content of the Earth system resides in the ocean). The ocean warming is not good for the ice sheets; it leads to subsurface melting of the streams entering the ocean. This, together with increased surface melt, leads to an accelerated loss of ice, contributing to global sea level rise.

This photo was taken near Ilulissat in the Disco Bay, on western Greenland. The enormous Jakobshavn glacier feeds the Disco bay with (equally enormous) ice bergs; the largest 50-100 m above the sea, and extending 500-900 m below the sea surface. It's not good to be too close any of these, irrespective of the size of the boat, they may turn around. Which we witnessed a few times...

Mamiya 7II, 65mm, Provia 100F.

Wow, that's a beaut!!  Looks like it was sketched with charcoal. :)

Sometimes I stand in front of the sea - or a loved one, a sunset, a flower - and I can't believe - am overwhelmed by - how much beauty there is in the world.

Dromana 2018

M6TTL, 50mm Summicron, Tri-X

• Like 2

Magnificent, Adam. To my eyes this is your best bridge footings iteration yet, not least because of the expanded background view/information.

Sincere thanks for that feedback, Phil.  I really appreciate it and we'll see how it stacks up against the Ektar version....  :wub:

• Like 2