I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On my III and IIIa I consider the viewfinder to be just a vague indication of what's going to be in the final image, the best practice seems to be to step back then crop later. :)

I have the problem with the Ms, especially when photographing up close. Today I was out with my digital M and reshot the same setup 3 or 4 times before I got it right. With film it's best to play safe as mikemgb said, but it really goes against the grain to crop a frame, especially a negative frame.

I'm ok with the Ms, unless I'm trying to take a very symmetrical/geometrical shot. The IIIc is another kind of beast, particularly for close-ups. I have an external viewfinder from another camera but it makes things even worse because it should be calibrated first. That's my experience, of course.

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

Bangkok, MBK shopping mall.

M6 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | Tri-x @ ISO1600

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I guess this is a bit silly. After all they're just billboards. Still there's something about billboards in Japanese which brings to (at least my) mind everything from Gibson cyber punk to glitzy anime costumes. And I just like how red is rendered by slide film.

42537498180_38012f8982_b.jpg

Flickr

Lovely colors and subject  - I am also a fan of Japan - but how do you dare to show an advertisement for a digital camera in this thread  :ph34r:

• Like 7

I had to follow up many pages since my last real visit here. Although I try to have a look at this thread on a daily basis, I missed a lot in the meantime. One of the (imho) most important recent posts unfortunately showed no repetition so far - if you keep on following your thread, please return, Henry!

I have another one from one of my favorite locations for a short vacation. Some seagulls at the Baltic Sea coast:

attachicon.gifBild-1-250.jpg

M3 - Cron 50 DR - Agfa Vista 200

lots of good detail in the birds' faces.  It has a nice spiritual vibe! :)

• Like 2

Here's a recent shot through the center of the Manhattan Bridge just before dawn.  I thought the cars racing by and the different color lighting would make for a very cool urban mood.  :)

Ektar 6x17

Technorama 617s III, 90mm Schneider Super Angulon XL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here's what the scene looked like on a morning a few days earlier with my iPhone.  :)  (I thought more darkness would add more drama so I went back)

Edited by A miller
  • Like 16

Here's a recent shot through the center of the Manhattan Bridge just before dawn.  I thought the cars racing by and the different color lighting would make for a very cool urban mood.  :)

Ektar 6x17

Technorama 617s III, 90mm Schneider Super Angulon XL

attachicon.gifMB.jpg

Here's what the scene looked like on a morning a few days earlier with my iPhone.  :)  (I thought more darkness would add more drama so I went back)

attachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

You went for it then! ;)

• Like 2

This thread moves on so quickly! I've been away for a week, looked in when I could, and am stunned again by the quality of the work. Apologies if I have not been saying "thank you" to so many stunning photographs that I've been privileged to have seen, albeit briefly. And, as James (our new, resident, Mr Hitchcock it would seem from that wonderful seagull photo) said above, we even had a cameo visit by the spiritual founder of this group. I sincerely hope Henry will consider posting again.

Great to see you using the Technorama, Adam (sorry - Mr Pano), and so very masterfully from the get-go! I just adore the complexity of that Manhattan bridge photo!

I'm sending off two rolls of Color Implosion for processing today, which is all I was able to use in Boston. My first use of this amazing film and I look forward to seeing the results.

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 4

Good to hear from you, Phil.  And am excited to see your results with the Adox.  If you had just come a little bit more south the NYC I would have rewarded you with a handful more rolls of it... :)

This thread moves on so quickly! I've been away for a week, looked in when I could, and am stunned again by the quality of the work. Apologies if I have not been saying "thank you" to so many stunning photographs that I've been privileged to have seen, albeit briefly. And, as James (our new, resident, Mr Hitchcock it would seem from that wonderful seagull photo) said above, we even had a cameo visit by the spiritual founder of this group. I sincerely hope Henry will consider posting again.

Great to see you using the Technorama, Adam (sorry - Mr Pano), and so very masterfully from the get-go! I just adore the complexity of that Manhattan bridge photo!

I'm sending off two rolls of Color Implosion for processing today, which is all I was able to use in Boston. My first use of this amazing film and I look forward to seeing the results.

Love this one.  With the glare overlapping the man in his moment of "the catch" :)  Good one :)

Late Bite, Sorrento 2018

M6TTL, Canon 50mm f1.4 ltm, Agfa Vista 400

Thanks, Steve.  I am looking forward to concentrating on this camera this year.  And I have Central Park in Fall very much on my mind :)

You'll find it very useful as you seem to mainly photograph architecture.  Good choice, you'll have fun with it.

• Like 2

Good to hear from you, Phil.  And am excited to see your results with the Adox.  If you had just come a little bit more south the NYC I would have rewarded you with a handful more rolls of it... :)

Love this one.  With the glare overlapping the man in his moment of "the catch" :)  Good one :)

Thanks, Steve.  I am looking forward to concentrating on this camera this year.  And I have Central Park in Fall very much on my mind :)

Ideal.  Close in and those trees will stand straight and tall!

• Like 1