I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Hi Antonio

I don't think Double X (not Double XX, because that would be like XXXX :D ) was meant to compete with Tri-X as it is motion picture film stock.

I bought a roll directly from Kodak and that was considerably cheaper, per roll, than Tri-X. I don't find the EU product catalogue now but in the US one there is on page 13 a list of worldwide sales locations with contact details.

To be honest I prefer it vastly over Tri-X because it pushes and pulls very well, has lovely grain and dries entirely flat.

The only thing is the "little" roll is 400ft (there is a large one too, which is 1000ft). It sells for around 260 USD. I seem to remember the price was around that figure but in Euro when I bought my roll a few years ago.

It definitely pays off (a lot) to buy the 400ft roll instead of buying, for instance, Cinestill's (in my opinion erroneously and misleadingly) rebranded BwXX (double-x) at 8,99 USD per roll. Better support Kodak imho.

br

Philip

Thanks for the info (and forgive my extra X).

Yes, with more expensive than Trix, I was referring to Cinestill BwXX. Buying 400ft looks like a big commitment, specially in terms of handling the product (respooling etc etc).

• Like 1

GREEN!!!!!

Awrsome, Philip!!!

44004211952_ff07b9bf6a_b.jpg

Flickr

50/1.4A Portra 160 CS9000

Beautiful colors, James!!

Outtake from my "London on film"-thread, No. 1 London Bridge:

M4-P - Cron 35 - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

• Like 2

My time in Israel is coming to an end. I have about 50 rolls of film to bring home and will be sharing some highights over the coming months. I managed to get down to the Dead Sea another 6 times this summer. It is ever-changing and at this point not for the better. Hopefully, a solution to keep the water level from plummeting will be implemented soon. Looking forward to more regular engagement here in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, here’s a simple lab scan from last week: wife (middle), her older sister and her older sister’s grand-daughter

Gosh I love film

Beautiful film colors and tonality, Adam. Needless to mention, beautiful family too. 

• Like 2

Double Viridian No. 2

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA ADOX Color Implosion

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Pentax Z1  |  100 - 300mm  |  Agfachrome RSX 200

Stork landing on a tower nest

• Like 14

A-w-e-s-o-m-e James. Print it BIG :D

Outtake from my "London on film"-thread, No. 1 London Bridge:

M4-P - Cron 35 - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

Haha, very funny Adam. It's their loss of course.

A funny one from this morning. There is a nature reserve in Jerusalem not far from my aparrment. They have a whole community of exotic birds from Africa etc - the King Fisher being one of them. They have a “bunker” lookout room that opens up onto a pond where these exotic birds can stand on pedestals and hunt for fish. I took my Hasselblad this morning just for kicks and found a group of very uptight digital zoom obsessed Russian-Israelis who had bazooka lenses that did wonders for capturing the details of the nostrils of the birds. Big shit. I tried to explain to my new Russian friends that it is not the size that matters but rather the colors. I told them to think of their photography like paintings. They would have none of this. The sound of their shutters when the King Fisher bird appears sounded like a firing squad from WW II. They Must’ve taken 10,000 photos each during the two hours that I was there. They were snickering at me in Russian At the sound of the “kerklunk” of my Hasselblad. Oh well.

Really cool Rog. That bright green stripe really distorts the otherwise muted and well-behaved palette. Excellent.

Double Viridian No. 2
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 3

I like travelling, a lot in fact, but there are times when I get so very bored, for instance when waiting for the next connection or during really dull train journeys to and from the airport. Luckily, the combination of having brought a camera (or, let's be honest, usually several) and having time to spare means everything could be a picture. These two are such fighting-boredom-photos, the second one probably a bit more than the first haha (50/1.4A, Portra 160, CS9000).

42243140860_2fd4baab24_b.jpg

Flickr

29115355967_6c217af267_b.jpg

Flickr

Edited by philipus
  • Like 16

I like travelling, a lot in fact, but there are times when I get so very bored, for instance when waiting for the next connection or during really dull train journeys to and from the airport. Luckily, the combination of having brought a camera (or, let's be honest, usually several) and having time to spare means everything could be a picture. These two are such fighting-boredom-photos, the second one probably a bit more than the first haha (50/1.4A, Portra 160, CS9000).

42243140860_2fd4baab24_b.jpg

Flickr

29115355967_6c217af267_b.jpg

Flickr

Thank you, Philip, for bringing up a pivotal idea, so I have been thinking that “one man’s boredom leads to another man’s art,” but then I shortened the idea to “boredom leads to art.“ Short, but a little too dry, which led me to use metaphor: “The voice of art silences the drone of boredom.” You see, this is what my mind does to keep away from boredom— all due to your prompt!

From experience, I know an effective teacher will impress on students that they cannot afford to be boring. Employers are not interested in hiring the most boring applicants. College professors are unimpressed with boring compositions. Ad agencies are not looking for boring commercials. Architects are not looking for boring buildings. Publishers are not excited about boring books. Audiences will not go to boring movies, and museums are not interested in boring work.

For another day, we will have to ride herd on the semantics to corral just exactly what is “boring.” Your photographs, here, are most decidedly not boring!

Cheers,

Rog

• Like 3

vuutoren texel, netherlands, rollei superpan

dto.