I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Chain Link Seascape

M-A Macro-Elmar-M Portra 400

Just my two cents: pictures which I have to scroll to look at are a problem ( nearly impossible to enjoy) , not everyone sits in front of a cinema display. 

Small is beautiful, big sizes in a Gallery okay, but not in the net, were most of the users take a notebook ore a smartphone.

• Like 5

Very good point, IMO. 

When I post something vertical the long side is max. 900 pixels. For horizontal, the long side is 960 max. I think that makes the pictures visible with little or no scrolling. I like using the full screen, but not more. In part, respect for the viewer.
  • Like 2

Very good point, IMO.

When I post something vertical the long side is max. 900 pixels. For horizontal, the long side is 960 max. I think that makes the pictures visible with little or no scrolling. I like using the full screen, but not more. In part, respect for the viewer.

My standard posting size is 600x900 for vertical shots and 800x1200 for horizontal shots. Smart phones reduce the sizes to fit on the screen automatically.

• Like 1

-I dont know-

Its my opinion as I said and I dont see any plus in taking maximum sizes here, with this low end resolution which is possible here,

not on a 40``cinema display either. 

Again nothing against, for example Stephen Shores big Format works, in Books or in real. This is total fascinating but it gets its spirit

through its high end quality resolution performance too, which I think is not important here. 

Edited by becker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Santa Barbara

(United States of America, California)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M7 * Leica Summicron 2.0/35 Asph I * Adox Silvermax 100 * Adox Silvermax 1+29 * 12 min. * Nikon Coolscan V ED

• Like 16

I think this may be a forum software problem. Pictures don't scale properly across devices. It also applies to how images scale on for instance Macs with "retina" displays or other high resolution monitors. Add to the equation that there are so many different smartphones resolutions these days and it becomes impossible for us as posters to select an "appropriate" one-size-fits-all image size. I have noticed when you post that you choose smaller formats and I understand now why, but, speaking only personally of course, I find them a bit too small to fully enjoy them because I virtually always view this thread on my Macbook or Mac Pro. 

I should add that when I view this thread on my iPhone X using the "desktop" version of the site it is possible to pinch the page so that images fit the screen more or less perfectly. I'm not sure this works on other phones/mobile browsers, of course. I do know that forum apps like Tapatalk don't (or at least didn't) show this thread in any useable manner which is why I skipped using them altogether.

br

Philip 

Just my two cents: pictures which I have to scroll to look at are a problem ( nearly impossible to enjoy) , not everyone sits in front of a cinema display. 

Small is beautiful, big sizes in a Gallery okay, but not in the net, were most of the users take a notebook ore a smartphone.

• Like 2

Morning rush.

Minox B, Agfa Copex Rapid 50 ISO, Caffenol

• Like 16

Jackson Pollock Laundry Triptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 14

Lying in wait

Hasselblad 203FE + 110/2.0 lens

Ilford Delta 100 shot @ 200iso, dev in Xtol.

• Like 19

You are fast becoming the master of, not just light, but of shadow as well. Or, more accurately, the master of chiaroscuro.

Thanks Phil, way too kind!

Unfortunately the time for playing with light and shadow is short lived in the uk, due to the unfortunate position relative to the jet stream.

I love Ralph Gibson's photography. For me he is the "master", however we mustn't simply copy him, instead take inspiration to explore the patterns created by light and equally the absence of light. I also think film is the appropriate medium for this - all to do with the transfer function, the S shape that helps record the dark and the light.

• Like 2

Pensive Boy

Hasselblad 203FE + 110/2.0 lens.

Ilford Delta100 @ 200iso in Xtol.

• Like 18

Awesome! Is this a print scan?

Thanks Edward. It is a scan direct from 120 film and then a quick Silver FX PP. It is the last shot on a film I was testing in the Blad. See the first shot, three posts above (Lying in Wait). I'm experimenting with a few different styles and techniques, mainly to amuse myself.

• Like 1