I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Developing and lab-scanning my 35mm family stuff (for quick sharing in Whatapp) but only developing the 120 rolls. Have shot about 20 120 rolls so far, including about 10 from the Dead Sea.

Couple of interesting antectdotes:

1. Wednesday I headed to Tel Aviv at 4:30am for some long exposure shooting of the sunrise from a very cool pier-like protusion of giant rocks (see below photo).

Got alll the way there and set up and then realized that I lost my beautiful Minolta Spotmeter F somewhere between the car and the rocks. Couldn't find it and had to use the shitty iphone app (and my equally shitty intuition) instead. I was PISSED! This is the analog (pun intended) to the time last summer when I schlepped all the way to the Dead Sea at 3:30am for some sunrise shooting only to find out that i forgot my film!! (Idiot!!!!)

So then it so happened that an Israeli film photography enthusiast that i only know from Facebook reached out to me on FB that same day and to make a long story short he has a very nice spot meter and met me in Jerusalem that night to loan it to me (see photo below). He is my new best friend!

2. So this morning at 3:30am I STRUTTED down to the Dead Sea sporting ALL of my equipment and film, including my fancy spot meter. I got all the way down to the tip of the sea (about 45 minutes into the 90 minute drive) and my back right tire BLEW totally!! So I crawled about 15 minutes to the closest gas station and befriended a very capable young Arab man who knew neither English nor Hebrew - but he sure knew how to change a flat tire! After leaving him a generous tip I jetted to the Old City in Jerusalem (mostly the Arab Quarter, which is fortuitously closed on Friday) and spent the early morning shooting some interesting perspectives from the market with my SWC and 503cw/80mm planar (my 250mm Superachromat broke down on me last week - don’t even go there! :( until the Hertz car rental shop opened (where I now have a new car). (Below is an example from the market)

To be honest with you, all of these adversities have only emboldened me and now I am ready to burned through all of my film at warp speed! :)

Yalla!

Cool story bro  :p Kidding aside, love hearing your stories and following along on your travels, keep entertaining us, please!

• Like 1

Neon Green Triptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA Rollei Redbird + Portra 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

That’s provia 100. If I could, I would only shoot slide film.

+1 - Unless there's some technical reason, why not shoot Provia all the time? Yeah, it's less forgiving than color negative films, but SO much easier to scan and process in my experience. And I find looking at positive, uh, negatives, much more enjoyable than negative negatives. lol

• Like 1

+1 - Unless there's some technical reason, why not shoot Provia all the time? Yeah, it's less forgiving than color negative films, but SO much easier to scan and process in my experience. And I find looking at positive, uh, negatives, much more enjoyable than negative negatives. lol

I guess the limited iso options is the only reason. I remember when we had many options of high iso and tungsten balanced emulsions that are all gone.

I guess the limited iso options is the only reason. I remember when we had many options of high iso and tungsten balanced emulsions that are all gone.

Ah. Very true. Didn't think about that! Provia 400 or 800 would be nice. I generally shoot outdoors in sun, so 100 is fine.

• Like 1

Rachel's croft.

Leica MP

35mm summicron asph

Heliopan 22

Adox Silvermax

• Like 19

Ilford HP5+ - Summicron 50 - M6

• Like 15

Thanks a lot Steve. Great point about the caption. I can see that that spoils a bit of the purpose behind such a photo. Thank you for suggesting that.

Really like it Philip. The colours grab the attention and are satisfying in their own right, and once hooked it becomes compelling to unrathel the OOF detail. I'm wondering if it would work better if you withheld the caption, thus inviting the viewer to make of it what he or she wishes.

Um where's that arm coming from? :D I'm hearing Unchained Melody.

Ilford HP5+ - Summicron 50 - M6

• Like 2

Thanks a lot Steve, I really appreciate your thoughts.

br

Phillp

Who needs sharp photographs!
Fabulous, Philip, such lovely colours set against the dark background. I also like it that you're allowing the image to talk for itself. It's powerful enough to do that.

• Like 1

Who needs sharp photographs!

Fabulous, Philip, such lovely colours set against the dark background. I also like it that you're allowing the image to talk for itself. It's powerful enough to do that.

However, this is one of "sharpest" photographs I've seen of late! It is also very cool, creatively impressionistic, and . . . out of focus! Ditto everything Steve says, especially "allowing the image to talk for itself." Love that conversation!

• Like 2