I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Last weekend my old Australian Rules footy club (the Peninsula Old Boys "Pirates" aaaargh) had a "Legends" exhibition match. Players from the first ever game the club played back in 1980, including myself, were invited to play - and some did! I wasn't able to take the field due to having had a knee replacement late last year, but I was delighted to be appointed the "official photographer". Of course, I used film. Here are two pictures of the club in action - the first from 1980 (I was free to photograph after I'd ruptured my Anterior Cruciate Ligament earlier in the year - which led to my need for the knee replacement last year) and the second from last Saturday. Interestingly, the game was played on the same ground in both cases, and this was the first time I'd been back there in nearly 40 years:

p2805128211-5.jpg

Canon A1, FDn 70-210mm f4, Agfapan 400

p2821647248-5.jpg

Canon F1N, FDn 80-200mm f4, Agfa Vista 400

Both great shots Phil, but man, the later colour one really stands out.

Gary

• Like 3

Last weekend my old Australian Rules footy club (the Peninsula Old Boys "Pirates" aaaargh) had a "Legends" exhibition match. Players from the first ever game the club played back in 1980, including myself, were invited to play - and some did! I wasn't able to take the field due to having had a knee replacement late last year, but I was delighted to be appointed the "official photographer". Of course, I used film. Here are two pictures of the club in action - the first from 1980 (I was free to photograph after I'd ruptured my Anterior Cruciate Ligament earlier in the year - which led to my need for the knee replacement last year) and the second from last Saturday. Interestingly, the game was played on the same ground in both cases, and this was the first time I'd been back there in nearly 40 years:

p2805128211-5.jpg

1980 - Canon A1, FDn 70-210mm f4, Agfapan 400

p2821647248-5.jpg

2018 - Canon F1N, FDn 80-200mm f4, Agfa Vista 400

Love of the game. It makes me smile. Years ago I worked with a rather tall, old gentleman who had been an accomplished amateur basketball player, but never good enough to play in professional leagues. Nonetheless, he continued playing well into his 70s. I was conversing with him about it one day and discovered that he had on many occasions, as he continued to play in his advanced age, found himself playing with some of his contemporaries that had played in the professional leagues. Your photo brought back memories of him. I am sure he is long gone by this time. It has been a while since I last thought of him. He is worth remembering.

Thanks,

Wayne

• Like 3

Thanks so much Wayne. You have such a storehouse of anecdotes - interesting stories of memorable people and characters. That is a wonderful thing to have. People you meet along the journey leave impressions on you - good, bad, indifferent - but they are there with you and become part of your history. Sometimes you forget - there were some guys I hardly remembered there last Saturday, but catching up over a beer (or two) soon brought things flooding back. My old physics teacher from school was there - 80 years old now and sharp as a tack - and he remembered my brother and I (I was a dreadful student of physics) which really meant a lot.

I am glad my pictures caused you, even in a roundabout way, to recall a treasured memory. Photos do that. It has made my night.

• Like 3

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Pentax K1000 & Sigma 50mm macro - Kodak Ektar

• Like 15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Somewhere in Scotland

I've posted a photo of this monk from Mandalay in the past. This one is from slightly away, showing more of his spartan surroundings...

Ilford HP5

• Like 16

Absolutely fantastic, Phil.  What a story these two images tell.  Wow.  Brings back some memories on my end as well.  After my college football days while in law school I played for my university's rugby club team.  Man, I thought American football was physical!  Sometimes we played men's club teams from the area and they looked a lot like the crew in your second photo and I remember distinctly their thick alcohol breath!! They were very tough characters! :)

1980 - Canon A1, FDn 70-210mm f4, Agfapan 400

2018 - Canon F1N, FDn 80-200mm f4, Agfa Vista 400

• Like 3

Absolutely fantastic, Phil.  What a story these two images tell.  Wow.  Brings back some memories on my end as well.  After my college football days while in law school I played for my university's rugby club team.  Man, I thought American football was physical!  Sometimes we played men's club teams from the area and they looked a lot like the crew in your second photo and I remember distinctly their thick alcohol breath!! They were very tough characters! :)

Thank you kindly Adam. I've never played rugby but do wonder about the long-term cost of constantly smashing head-on into guys built like brick er... shirthouses. We have a tiler working at our house who played American football for 20+ years. He represented both his native Germany and his adopted Australia. He is 50, his knees, back and neck are pretty much shot and he has both short- and long-term memory loss - but he loved the game and has (almost) no regrets. I guess you are the same, as am I. It seems fit young men (and women) go out onto the fields of glory and often pay for it with their long-term health. I certainly hope yours is, and remains, good.

• Like 3

Thank you kindly Adam. I've never played rugby but do wonder about the long-term cost of constantly smashing head-on into guys built like brick er... shirthouses. We have a tiler working at our house who played American football for 20+ years. He represented both his native Germany and his adopted Australia. He is 50, his knees, back and neck are pretty much shot and he has both short- and long-term memory loss - but he loved the game and has (almost) no regrets. I guess you are the same, as am I. It seems fit young men (and women) go out onto the fields of glory and often pay for it with their long-term health. I certainly hope yours is, and remains, good.

Thanks, Phil.  All we can do is affirm daily that we are as healthy and strong as a horse.  The rest is in God's hands :)

• Like 1

Back to my recent NYC fog series, this is a scene that you have seen a number of times from me in the past.  Now we can add Delta 100 to the list of renditions (which includes, Tmax 400, Tri-X, HP5 and Ektar), and a bit mot dense fog... :)

Williamsburg Bridge

Delta 100, SWC

attachicon.gifWB delta.jpg

Beautiful tones, Adam. Delta 100 is a worthy contender for rendering this scene.

• Like 1

Thanks, Eoin.  I agree with you :)

Beautiful tones, Adam. Delta 100 is a worthy contender for rendering this scene.

Gary - Delta 400 has the same "pencil gray" rendition as the Delta 100.  I personally find the 100 a little cleaner while the 400 provides more speed.

Haven't been able to fault it so far, (in R09). Tempted to see if Delta 400 is similar, tried it at all?
Gary

• Like 2