I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fully agreed, James. Lovely colors and the blossoms are rendered beautifully by the cron.

Wow, lovely colours James. Well done. I've shot Precisa too and find it a fantastic film that is also great value for the money.

This is truly fantastic James. We had frozen canals here in town too which meant the Dutch, who have also been deprived of frozen canals a great many years, flooded to any frozen piece of water they could find. My family and I just went and had snowball fights on the ice on the canals in our neighbourhood. Luckily there were no ice breakers to be seen. That's really a crime given how rare these things are.

Wow, really great colors in this one, James. 

Thank you all for your feedback. My experiences with the Precisa are always satisfying. I guess my stock (that cost me 2,50 € per roll) comes from Fuji, though I don't exactly know, which film it might be exactly. The imprints on the film edges say : R100-059. 

New friend...from another planet... :)

A bit eccentric for my taste, but nice outfit and colors :) Another stellar picture for your upcoming exhibitions...

Here another shot from the Precisa roll:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

A tree in full bloom:

M3 - Cron 50 DR - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

• Like 16

To make Adam feel slightly better, here a Cinestill 800 sample with traces of schmootz:

Minilux

• Like 18

On a week-long stay at the Faroe Islands, I took the ferry from Torshavn (the 'capital') to the southernmost island, Suduroy, and looked up potential shooting locations on the island. This image was taken a little before the sun was setting in the ocean, with wind from the west (left). With the uplift of the humid air at the cliffs, fog and clouds drifted over the island. A quite typical situation for the islands; the ocean can be more or less cloud free, but the islands are generally covered in clouds. I think the locals talk about less than a handful days without clouds in a typical year.

I finished the shooting around mid night, without any bed for the night (I can be quite unorganised, particularly when drifting around with a camera...). But I stopped at a small 'hotel' in a village not far from the scene, hoping for a roof for the night. The doors were locked, so I was standing outside, knocking on the doors I could see. After quite some time, the owner showed up. It's safe to say he was more than skeptical to welcome guests after midnight. After some conversation - and with the room paid upfront - he agreed to let me in. After 16+ hours shooting, it felt wonderful to recover from fatigue...

Mamiya 7, 80mm, Fuji Provia 100F.

Absolutely magnificent. And like others have remarked, the narrative really grips too. 

• Like 2

nAkt

34518323976_afd5b48a94_b.jpg

canon f1 f1.2/55mm asph. - trix d76

40101206814_551c9ae78c_b.jpg

Bain de lumière by JM__, on Flickr

Velvia 50 - M3 - 50 Summicron

Another thing - a glorious thing - about film is the chance of "happy accidents". These are perfect examples. They would be excellent pictures without the accidents, and I'm sure the initial reaction of both lookbook and Jean-Marc was less than enthusiastic when they first saw the incursion of light onto these pictures. Yet the random end-(or is it beginning?)-of-roll light and Jean-Marc's light leak happen to have come at aesthetically pleasing spots. They both become pictures where the incursion of light adds a touch of frailty which reminds us that film photography is an imperfect thing, and that in its imperfection lies much of its allure. These are the antithesis of digital photography where everything is precise, clinical, binary. These are essentially imperfect - and in their imperfection lies something we can humanly relate to. Plus, in the example of these two excellent pictures, they are both beautiful.

On a week-long stay at the Faroe Islands, I took the ferry from Torshavn (the 'capital') to the southernmost island, Suduroy, and looked up potential shooting locations on the island. This image was taken a little before the sun was setting in the ocean, with wind from the west (left). With the uplift of the humid air at the cliffs, fog and clouds drifted over the island. A quite typical situation for the islands; the ocean can be more or less cloud free, but the islands are generally covered in clouds. I think the locals talk about less than a handful days without clouds in a typical year.

I finished the shooting around mid night, without any bed for the night (I can be quite unorganised, particularly when drifting around with a camera...). But I stopped at a small 'hotel' in a village not far from the scene, hoping for a roof for the night. The doors were locked, so I was standing outside, knocking on the doors I could see. After quite some time, the owner showed up. It's safe to say he was more than skeptical to welcome guests after midnight. After some conversation - and with the room paid upfront - he agreed to let me in. After 16+ hours shooting, it felt wonderful to recover from fatigue...

helged, I don't think I could ever tire of reading your wonderful descriptions of what it took to make these brilliant pictures. And the pictures, like this incredible one, more than adequately reward the spirit of adventure that has led to their creation. I hope that one day you will publish it all - pictures and stories - in book form. Such a book would be a treasure.

Thanks, Phil.  You have an imagination like mine :)  Although I'm not quite as articulate :)

Adam, it is at the same time very flattering and quite scary that we may share a similar vivid imagination! :o But your pictures do so often invite a closer look - there is more often than not something going on which lies deep beyond the surface appearance of the picture. Like the photograph of yours I have proudly hanging on my wall, that I am looking at right now - not a day goes by that I don't marvel at that incredible blizzard picture.

I hope I don't bore people when I talk about pictures here sometimes, or sound like a pompous git (I'm not). I use google a lot :rolleyes: and I find it helps me to understand more clearly about my visceral reaction to pictures.

• Like 9

Some agriculture with the half-frame.

Pen FT

38mm

Delta 100

R09 @ 1:50

Plustek 8100

Gary

• Like 13

What lovely grain!  :p

nAkt

canon f1 f1.2/55mm asph. - trix d76

Oooh, James.  That sucks!  It is such a magnificent photo, too!!  I really feel for you.  :(

To make Adam feel slightly better, here a Cinestill 800 sample with traces of schmootz:

attachicon.gifBild-1-196.jpg

Minilux

Absolutely stunning, H.  Your destinations are much to be desired!

Great stuff, Eoin! Love that Tri-X!!

Another big gap between visits, but I thought I'd slip in some more velocipedes...

(EOS 1V HS w/ Otus 55 - Tri-X)

Sincere thanks, Phil. Your contributions here form a key part of the heart and soul of this thread.  You are very thought-provoking and inspiring - and, of course, a true film ambassador.

Another thing - a glorious thing - about film is the chance of "happy accidents". These are perfect examples. They would be excellent pictures without the accidents, and I'm sure the initial reaction of both lookbook and Jean-Marc was less than enthusiastic when they first saw the incursion of light onto these pictures. Yet the random end-(or is it beginning?)-of-roll light and Jean-Marc's light leak happen to have come at aesthetically pleasing spots. They both become pictures where the incursion of light adds a touch of frailty which reminds us that film photography is an imperfect thing, and that in its imperfection lies much of its allure. These are the antithesis of digital photography where everything is precise, clinical, binary. These are essentially imperfect - and in their imperfection lies something we can humanly relate to. Plus, in the example of these two excellent pictures, they are both beautiful.

helged, I don't think I could ever tire of reading your wonderful descriptions of what it took to make these brilliant pictures. And the pictures, like this incredible one, more than adequately reward the spirit of adventure that has led to their creation. I hope that one day you will publish it all - pictures and stories - in book form. Such a book would be a treasure.

Adam, it is at the same time very flattering and quite scary that we may share a similar vivid imagination! :o But your pictures do so often invite a closer look - there is more often than not something going on which lies deep beyond the surface appearance of the picture. Like the photograph of yours I have proudly hanging on my wall, that I am looking at right now - not a day goes by that I don't marvel at that incredible blizzard picture.

I hope I don't bore people when I talk about pictures here sometimes, or sound like a pompous git (I'm not). I use google a lot :rolleyes: and I find it helps me to understand more clearly about my visceral reaction to pictures.

This first one is actually quite funny.  A stand off that you don't want to get between :)

Some agriculture with the half-frame.

Pen FT

38mm

Delta 100

R09 @ 1:50

Plustek 8100

Gary

• Like 4