I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back to Jenny, the tourist from Shanghai in her motorbike helmet, who I had a coffee with at the the Rakuda Photo Artisans (photo lab) in Chiang Mai. When I sent her by LINE the pictures I had taken of her, she asked, "Is that me?" I responded, "Too beautiful, or too cool?" "Both!", she wrote.

In the last two pictures she's driving away with a Korean tourist she met.​ These are taken with the M3/Summicron-35v4 on Tri-X in D76.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Nowhereman

These are "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" pictures: noon, bright, harsh light, shot on Tri-X @ 400, exposed at f/8 and 1/1000, but with a yellow filter, so the equivalent exposure would be f/8 at 1/2000. This is a roadside fruit market on Highway 118, from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai in Northern Thailand. As the colors are extremely bright, it seems to me B&W is not ideal for this — perhaps this should be higher contrast. (Shot with Summicron 35v4).

The market is run by Muso hill tribe people, whose villages are on a very steep, winding road (fun to drive) running up the mountain that was behind me when I took the pictures,

They look good to me, Mitch. I have traveled that road many times (I have a house at Lampang, and relatives through the North). The Sun is very harsh, unless capturing in the mist of morning or dust of evening. You've done well, a there is still detail in the shadows, without blowing the highlights.

Colour (perhaps the subtle Portra, rather than Ektar) would also work well, particularly with the golds around the Royal portraits.

Keep 'em coming!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back to Jenny, the tourist from Shanghai in her motorbike helmet, who I had a coffee with at the the Rakuda Photo Artisans (photo lab) in Chiang Mai. When I sent her by LINE the pictures I had taken of her, she asked, "Is that me?" I responded, "Too beautiful, or too cool?" "Both!", she wrote.

In the last two pictures she's driving away with a Korean tourist she met.​ These are taken with the M3/Summicron-35v4 on Tri-X in D76.

Excellent, Mitch. I'm sure she will remember it as a happy event in her adventure.

Guest Nowhereman

...Colour (perhaps the subtle Portra, rather than Ektar) would also work well, particularly with the golds arounde Royal portraits...

Thanks, Eoin. Unfortunately, I also shot the M10 in this Musa market: the results are like Velvia on steroids, although I'll try to see how I can tone that down. Would have been better to have shot Portra, but I had Tri-X in my M3 — and I simply cannot handle three cameras, so the M6 stayed in the car.

I'm in the process of determining what color film I like for my LF camera, with 6x6 film in a (Tele) Rolleiflex, because it's a bit expensive to do that decision process on LF. Hereby I confess that Provia100 is my great love thus far. I never did quite well with color negative film, neither in the pre-digital era. Somehow I always stumbled over noise and grain, which can also occur in slide film but never really disliked there.

This one was made with a Tele Rolleiflex with Rolleinar 0.35, with no postprocessing at all after scanning. I cannot remember getting so rich and natural colors with any digital camera thus far.

Very nice, natural colours, Otto. It makes me want to try it in sheet form.

Really like this one. Lots to look at.

Sydney peak hour. Shooting Portra 400 straight into the morning sun with a Leica CL and APO50.

Incredible family moment, James. Love the colors.

Full concentration before the next run:

attachicon.gifBild-1-153.jpg

Minilux - Fuji Superia 100

Philip - this is fabulous. One of your best cityscapes in my view. I could look at it all day!

I had an in and out type of visit to London at the end of last year and spent the evening wandering around with my camera. I shot this on expired Portra 400VC at EI100. It's about a 60% crop of the full frame.

Red Eye

40296811711_3aa5cfb780_b.jpg

Flickr

80 Planar

Thank you sincerely, Stefan!

Absolutely great picture, Adam. You are my inspiration!

Looks darn good to me, Mike!

Graflex Speed Graphic, 0.3mm pinhole at 135mm. Ilford HP5.

This is my first pinhole photo, I think I did OK. :)

attachicon.gif001 small.jpg

• Like 3

Some more “anonymous” New Yorkers :)

Portra 400

M-A, 28 elmarit pre asph

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 19

I'm in the process of determining what color film I like for my LF camera, with 6x6 film in a (Tele) Rolleiflex, because it's a bit expensive to do that decision process on LF. Hereby I confess that Provia100 is my great love thus far. I never did quite well with color negative film, neither in the pre-digital era. Somehow I always stumbled over noise and grain, which can also occur in slide film but never really disliked there.

This one was made with a Tele Rolleiflex with Rolleinar 0.35, with no postprocessing at all after scanning. I cannot remember getting so rich and natural colors with any digital camera thus far.

I have to agree, the richness in the color palette is absolutely fantastic. You managed to catch the atmosphere of this scene perfectly, and I guess, not that many would have the eye for this interesting spot. Thanks for sharing this little gem!

• Like 1