I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M6, 35CronASPH1, Plus-X

• Like 12

Rich Man ?

• Like 13

Danmark MP APX

• Like 16

Photography: obsession, anxiety, perseverance, failure, growth. The value of a vision.

Adam's photo and story of the attack subject is sticking with me. It is a great photo....And a testament to Adam's dedication. It got me to thinking about obsession, and the things that I struggle with in getting some shots I really want. For some reason I am obsessed with this window. It is a window in a private residence. Something, I imagine the anxiety over stopping in front of someone's window- seeming peeping into their private window, and getting caught/confronted- brings out great anxiety. As you can see, the act/shot reveals nothing about anybody's private life. And yet.............

My hat is off to Adam.

Tessina sub-miniature TLR camera (35mm half-frame similar to Pentax F) Swiss manufacture with spring wound advance (similar to Robot camera,) You could conceal a couple of them in a pack of cigarettes. Fuji Superia 100. I had to crop my finger out.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 14

Made me smile, Keith.  That's a really big belly!  Looks like he swallowed a watermelon whole!

Breathtaking scenes, Eoin.  Loads of interesting foreground.

Very nice portrait!

This first one is precious, if can be said for a couple of filthy pigs :)

Very nice one, Ian.  The deep shadow actually enhances the composition IMHO.

Wow, great detail and tones on this one.  Congrats on the execution and development.  You might check the leveling - on my monitor it might benefit from a slight tilt to the right.  Could just be me, though I threw out my back yesterday at the gym :(

Ernest - very very articulate.  I can only think of one person on this thread who can respond in kind... :)

Chris  - that is not film.  You're lying.  That also doesn't look like the squirrels we have in New York City.  Too fluffy.

Hello Adam,

thanks for your kind and helpful criticism. Your eyes are correct (and your back hopefully ok again) - the leveling is indeed faulty. It is a bit embarrassing and there is no excuse, only an explanation: the first leveling happened within the Phocus-Software which somehow made the final adjustments within Lightroom nearly unpredictable. Here is a second attempt with retouching all done within Lightroom and SilverEfex.

The idea was to catch the mystic light within Ste. Madeleine and I'm quite happy that the transformation from analog to digital lead to a slightly different but still very satisfying result.

Nevertheless, the image is only a poor substitute for the real experience and I recommend a visit to everybody who has a chance to pass by - the site is worth a bigger detour (not only because  a famous restaurant nearby). 

Thomas 

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Side entrance to the cathedral, same camera and film (SWC, FP4).

Thomas 

• Like 11

a view, "Treppenviertel"  ( Stairway Quartier ) Hamburg Germany

Upstream Hamburg Niedersachsen River Elbe last light.

Edited by becker
  • Like 13

Gary - Thanks for your opinion.  It is always very valuable and appreciated.

This one for me Adam. No idea why really, perhaps the subtle red whatzit in the centre?

Difficult choice though, both are wonderful.
Gary

Phil - Thanks to you as well.  The only reason that I didn't trash the photo due to the rescue ladder is that it was red :) :)  I have to think more about what it does to the overall photo.  But I agree that it is somewhat out of place (I wonder whether it has ever been used :) )

The classic B&W for me, Adam. Interesting to note Gary's comment - the red thing is a definite negative (no pun etc) as far as I'm concerned. And, hey, what happened to the tent thing behind the gaslight?

Thanks very much, Wonzo!!

Adam, picture # 43967 is just great, also the way, you have taken it !

Gary - Very impressive for such a slow shutter speed.  It is inspiration to all of us who think that speed is just unworkable.

Time for some more Helsinki, a lovely city.

The church inside shot was a wasted exercise, but I figured if Keith can do it, I can, man it was dim. This is wide open and as slow as I dared (1/15th perhaps).

R6

24 Elmarit R

Portra 400

Gary

Lovely color palette, Neil.  I hope you think so.  No change your S or whatever digital you are using these days can bring home this almost vintage rendition.

Leica M6ttl Edgar 100

Thanks, Neil.  I think I get you :)

I didn't realise that it snows in Rome......Just goes to show how much I know

Neil

Good one, Becker.

Thanks a lot, Philip.  Very helpful!

I like the split-toned one a lot and think the toning adds a lot of atmosphere to the shot and in fact seems to make it timeless. As much as I really like the Edgar shot ;) because the colours are truly sublime, if I could choose, I'd have the latter's framing on the split-toned one. I think the large tree in the foreground works well with the massive buildings further away.

• Like 4

M2 Paradise Film 

• Like 11

-cutting time - M2 Diafilm Agfa

• Like 12

Great photo! So much to like with this simple scene!  

Rich Man ?

attachicon.gif EmptyName 5.jpg

Nice one, Patrick.  The colors do it, as usual.  You do a great job of making lemonade out of lemons with that film stock :)

M7 / 50cron Rigid / AgfaVista

My Eggleston'ish moment I guess  :)

Wonderful tones and depth in this one, Thomas.  The FP4 is a great film and the SWC is a champ.  Looking forward to seeing ore!

Side entrance to the cathedral, same camera and film (SWC, FP4).

Thomas 

Sincere thanks, Thomas.  I think this version works!  And thanks for asking about my back.  I think it is getting better and will just be a case of hyperextension (NB: doing military presses while standing up is stupid!), which I am happy about b/c the last thing to have is a nagging back injury!

Hello Adam,

thanks for your kind and helpful criticism. Your eyes are correct (and your back hopefully ok again) - the leveling is indeed faulty. It is a bit embarrassing and there is no excuse, only an explanation: the first leveling happened within the Phocus-Software which somehow made the final adjustments within Lightroom nearly unpredictable. Here is a second attempt with retouching all done within Lightroom and SilverEfex.

The idea was to catch the mystic light within Ste. Madeleine and I'm quite happy that the transformation from analog to digital lead to a slightly different but still very satisfying result.

Nevertheless, the image is only a poor substitute for the real experience and I recommend a visit to everybody who has a chance to pass by - the site is worth a bigger detour (not only because  a famous restaurant nearby). 

Thomas 

Thanks, Wayne.  Now I know to whom to consult when I am feeling like a real pathetic perv - LOL :lol:   You photo elicits a lot of thoughts and questions about who, if anyone, might be inside, and whether thats a bedroom, living room, the veil has a seductive feel to it.  A good series, indeed!

Photography: obsession, anxiety, perseverance, failure, growth. The value of a vision.

Adam's photo and story of the attack subject is sticking with me. It is a great photo....And a testament to Adam's dedication. It got me to thinking about obsession, and the things that I struggle with in getting some shots I really want. For some reason I am obsessed with this window. It is a window in a private residence. Something, I imagine the anxiety over stopping in front of someone's window- seeming peeping into their private window, and getting caught/confronted- brings out great anxiety. As you can see, the act/shot reveals nothing about anybody's private life. And yet.............

My hat is off to Adam.

attachicon.gif img470.JPG

Tessina sub-miniature TLR camera (35mm half-frame similar to Pentax F) Swiss manufacture with spring wound advance (similar to Robot camera,) You could conceal a couple of them in a pack of cigarettes. Fuji Superia 100. I had to crop my finger out.

• Like 2

fire fighter

• Like 17

For Wayne on the theme of looking into windows  :D

NYC - complimentary post manicure back rub - meant to relax and elicit the max tip  :)

(NB: In NYC guys get manicures, too  :o )

Portra 400

M3, 28

Edited by A miller
  • Like 13

Boy and Dragonfly

• Like 14

• Like 14