I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

• Like 14

Philip  - very interesting and, as always from you, very crisp and sharp - on the highest level.  I think you made a mistake with the film description, though.  You said it was Superia.  But that is not a pro film stock and this clearly looks like a pro film stock.... :wacko:

The Hague

Flickr

FM3A 24/2.8 AI Superia 400 at EI100

Thank you!!

Adam - Wow!

Very interesting result, Wayne.  A twist on Portra 400, that's for sure!  

Ambiance.

Buzzy's Pizza.

attachicon.gifimg446.jpg

Minox B, Portra 400

Brilliant, more please!!

mp, 35 asph, tmax 400

Very lovely scene and tones in this one.  Very much enjoyed!

Tad Gneuang waterfall (not visible!). Too much spray, photographed from the sanctuary of the tree.

attachicon.gifTad Gneuang Waterfall3.jpg

T-Max 400

• Like 4

Here is a pair of the same photo of one of my favorite scenes in Central Park (capturing the famous San Remo apartment building (where Madonna's proposal to purchase an apartment was rejected by the condo board in 1985, next door to the Dakota, where John Lennon was shot)) and the Bow Bridge) with wildly different film stocks.  Each rendition serves a different purpose.

Each with the 503cw and 80mm planar

First, a split-toned B&W view with Delta 3200 (@1600).  I found the low contrast result from the Delta 3200 to compliment the toning as it enhances the dark tones a bit without actually darkening them and keeping with the native low contrast rendition.  This was actually taken with a very long exposure before the sunrise.

The classic B&W for me, Adam. Interesting to note Gary's comment - the red thing is a definite negative (no pun etc) as far as I'm concerned. And, hey, what happened to the tent thing behind the gaslight?

• Like 3

Time for some more Helsinki, a lovely city.

The church inside shot was a wasted exercise, but I figured if Keith can do it, I can, man it was dim. This is wide open and as slow as I dared (1/15th perhaps).

R6

24 Elmarit R

Portra 400

Gary

• Like 13

And one with the 50 Summicron R.

Gary

• Like 14

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Leica M6ttl Edgar 100

• Like 10

M6, 35CronASPH1, Fuji Reala

• Like 9

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Here is a pair of the same photo of one of my favorite scenes in Central Park (capturing the famous San Remo apartment building (where Madonna's proposal to purchase an apartment was rejected by the condo board in 1985, next door to the Dakota, where John Lennon was shot)) and the Bow Bridge) with wildly different film stocks.  Each rendition serves a different purpose.

Each with the 503cw and 80mm planar

First, a split-toned B&W view with Delta 3200 (@1600).  I found the low contrast result from the Delta 3200 to compliment the toning as it enhances the dark tones a bit without actually darkening them and keeping with the native low contrast rendition.  This was actually taken with a very long exposure before the sunrise.

I didn't realise that it snows in Rome......Just goes to show how much I know

Neil

• Like 1

• Like 14

Dom in Wittstock ( Brandenburg  ) M2

• Like 15

I like the split-toned one a lot and think the toning adds a lot of atmosphere to the shot and in fact seems to make it timeless. As much as I really like the Edgar shot ;) because the colours are truly sublime, if I could choose, I'd have the latter's framing on the split-toned one. I think the large tree in the foreground works well with the massive buildings further away.

Same scene, during sunrise, with....Ektar....  :wub:

Haha :) The photo might require a bit of explanation though. This was of a "zwarte Piet" (black Pete) band last weekend. Zwarte Piets are Sinterklaas's (Saint Nicholaus's) servants. There's a fierce debate ongoing since a few years about the legend behind Sinterklaas and the fact that people colour themselves up like this. Some say Zwarte Piets are black because they are Moors from Spain and others that they've become black from going down chimneys delivering presents. The controversy even caught the attention of United Nations experts in 2013 who called upon the Dutch government to facilitate a national debate because "many people, especially people of African descent living in the Netherlands, consider that aspects of Zwarte Piet are rooted in unacceptable, colonial attitudes that they find racist and offensive".

Philip  - very interesting and, as always from you, very crisp and sharp - on the highest level.  I think you made a mistake with the film description, though.  You said it was Superia.  But that is not a pro film stock and this clearly looks like a pro film stock.... :wacko:

Terrific results on Gary.

Time for some more Helsinki, a lovely city.

The church inside shot was a wasted exercise, but I figured if Keith can do it, I can, man it was dim. This is wide open and as slow as I dared (1/15th perhaps).

R6

24 Elmarit R

Portra 400

Gary

This one is particularly nice, I think.

Dom in Wittstock ( Brandenburg  ) M2

attachicon.gifam strand 26.jpg

Edited by philipus
  • Like 3