I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Thanks for the feedback, Philip.  And thanks for the catch on the dust.  As for using Ektar with long exposures, the times reflected in the chart to which you linked are pretty much exactly what I use.  I use this Reciprocity Timer app for all film stocks (the times for the Ektar are very very slightly different that the APUG version but only in a couple of exposure times - not material).  I find the Ektar RF adjustments to be very accurate.  I have never seen RF exposure time adjustments for Ektar that were meaningfully different than the adjustments that I use.  I think they are reliable.  I typically will do my average exposure song and dance (which I think is probably more important than the precise accuracy of the RF adjustments) and then take one more exposure with a one stop increase.  I often find that the brighter (one stop more exposure) is the one I go with. 

This is my favourite by far so far Adam. I would not have believed this was with the 80 Planar actually. It looks a bti wider. Just goes to show what a terrific lens that is. I like how you've lined up both the verticals and the horizontals. Excellent work (just a small thing, there's hair or dust in the middle, lower half which you might want to remove).

I meant to ask you about reciprocity failure for Ektar. I have looked at the data sheet and it only says "No filter correction or exposure compensation is required for exposures from 1/10,000 second to 1 second. For critical applicatoins with longer exposure times, make tests under your conditions". I'm asking because I'm about to start a project which will require longer exposures, but I only find various guidance online based on people's experiences (like this one at old APUG). Nothing wrong with that, but is there nothing more 'official' from Kodak? I know Fuji publishes tables of this. 

Sincere thanks, Phil.  Sometimes the drama in the scene just doesn't translate into the resulting negative.  This was one of those cases but I noodled on it over time to try to bring of that drama to life.

Adam, I don't think I commented at the time this was posted. This is one helluva shot - the sky, which would not ordinarily suggest itself in the state it's in as the subject for a colour masterpiece, is  the absolutely perfect foil for that incredible burst of red. Any other light and - well we don't need to know. This is perfect.

• Like 2

forgot one more of the snow ---

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

ooops, forget the photo.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Absolutely awesome shot, from the composition to the small details in the foliage of the tree, to the tones. I used to row and this reminds me of the feeling. 

Regatta-3.jpg

Rolleiflex MX-EVS

T-Max 400 expired

Xtol 1:1

Thank you very much Adam, this helps heaps. I will definitely bracket and also do a test run in some of the locations I will be shooting. 

Thanks for the feedback, Philip.  And thanks for the catch on the dust.  As for using Ektar with long exposures, the times reflected in the chart to which you linked are pretty much exactly what I use.  I use this Reciprocity Timer app for all film stocks (the times for the Ektar are very very slightly different that the APUG version but only in a couple of exposure times - not material).  I find the Ektar RF adjustments to be very accurate.  I have never seen RF exposure time adjustments for Ektar that were meaningfully different than the adjustments that I use.  I think they are reliable.  I typically will do my average exposure song and dance (which I think is probably more important than the precise accuracy of the RF adjustments) and then take one more exposure with a one stop increase.  I often find that the brighter (one stop more exposure) is the one I go with. 

Meyerowitz, schmeyerowitz - this is pure Miller methinks. Great shot.

Today, some New York attitude :)

M3, 28 cron, Portra 400

attachicon.gifattitude.jpg

Excellent, shot. I like photos where the eye gets to roam around for interesting details.

Try some Melbourne attitude (with secret spy).

attachicon.gifAA013a.jpeg

M3, Elmar 5/3.5, Tri-X

This is fantastic, Steve, really good.

forgot one more of the snow ---

Yay, a reflection, very well done.

ooops, forget the photo.

• Like 4