I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is wonderful Joachim. I like how the stance of feet is similar at left, top and right, as are the shapes of the grand piano and the chairs and the repeated colours throughout the scene. Very nicely seen and executed.

Arithmeum Bonn

attachicon.gifunbenannt-0001-35.jpg

m6 2/50IV portra 400

Joachim

This is really nice, wonderful dark tones.

hoxie_rollei-2.jpg

Rolleiflex MX-EVS type 2

T-Max 400 (Expired in 1994)

Developed in Xtol 1:1

• Like 1

Central Station in Milan. This is the view from a bar inside the station. Got coffee and a croissant. While taking a few photos from up there, the battery of the M6 died and started giving all kinds of weird readings, so I used my wife's compact digital camera to assess the exposure. I guess somebody would say that's cheating, but who cares.

M6, Summicron 35 asph, HP5@1600

25089188928_39e5f73ec9_b.jpg

20171208-DSCF0637-2 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Edited by AntonioF
  • Like 19

Central Station in Milan. This is the view from a bar inside the station. Got coffee and a croissant. While taking a few photos from up there, the battery of the M6 died and started giving all kinds of weird readings, so I used my wife's compact digital camera to assess the exposure. I guess somebody would say that's cheating, but who cares.

That’s the good kind of cheating Antonio :)

• Like 2

I like that you haven't been tempted to 'lighten' the photograph to render the twilight as something closer to daylight.

We use the word in English too, Philip, at least as an adjective: crepuscular.

A humble Moon shot at dusk. Incidentally, and on a slight tangent, I've always loved the French word for dusk, crépuscule.

Nice, Easter 2015

38091294152_dac7faea1b_b.jpg

Flickr

50/1.4A Superia 400

• Like 3

These are very nice.  Kudos to you for the excellent execution including development!

Rolleiflex MX-EVS type 2

Rolleiflex MX-EVS type 2

Very nice, Antonio.  Reminds me a lot of Paddington Station in London.

• Like 3

Here's one from my moonlighting in Central Park yesterday morning - around 5am.

I have a keen interest in shooting the Park in the middle of the night in B&W after a snow.  Yesterday was a start.

Film of choice: Ilford Delta 3200 (@1600) and Tmax 400

Here's one with the Delta 3200 with the 250mm Superachromat

attachicon.gifSnowy Central Park by Adam Miller.jpg

That surely is suffering for one's art...  :0  ;)

• Like 3

Contemplating life on a fruit-only diet...  M7, 50mm C-Sonnar f1.5, Acros 100.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

Bethesda Fountain, Central Park ~5am

Ilford Delta 3200 @1600 - metered for 1 minute with reciprocity failure increased to 7:19 minutes

503cw, 80mm Planar

attachicon.gifCentral Parkby Adam Miller.jpg

I seen a few attempts, my own included, to use Delta 3200. I think this might be the best of them.

I wonder how much of it has to do with development. Care to share some details? I have a few rolls of 135 and 120 that I do not use because I have sort of given up on it.

5am......That would be the same as  0-dark-thirty. :)

Did anybody pass through the scene while you were exposing?

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1

Cheating? I would say you have discovered the most legitimate use for such equipment. :)

Beautiful photo.

• Like 3

I seen a few attempts, my own included, to use Delta 3200. I think this might be the best of them.

5am......That would be the same as  0-dark-thirty. :)

Thanks, and very funny, Wayne.  I think the rating at 1600 and development at box speed tames the contrast of an otherwise potentially harsh 3200 rating.  

Thanks, and very funny, Wayne.  I think the rating at 1600 and development at box speed tames the contrast of an otherwise potentially harsh 3200 rating.  

I edited my first response and added a couple questions:

What do you use to process the film?  If it is not a trade secret. If so, excuse my rude behavior :)

Best

• Like 1

Thanks, and very funny, Wayne. I think the rating at 1600 and development at box speed tames the contrast of an otherwise potentially harsh 3200 rating.

The actual speed is 1000 according to the manufacturer. Curiously they don’t give any processing recommendations for shooting at this speed.

• Like 1

Wayne - This past Sunday quite and until the sun came out I hardly saw anybody other than some mice and squirrels.  The blurred person in my first photo (which I actually like) that I posted last night was an exception, and with a 20-30 sec exposure thought I eliminated him.  I took two other exposures from the same spot that don't have anyone (and they are also a little cleaner and so may use one of them instead).  As for processing, that's easy.  I don't do it myself.  My wife won't let me.  So I use one of two labs in NYC.  I don't remember what developer they use but they gear their processing toward being conducive to ultimately getting a flat scan.

I edited my first response and added a couple questions:

What do you use to process the film?  If it is not a trade secret. If so, excuse my rude behavior :)

Best

Edward - yes, 100% correct, although the film is by nature very low contrast.  So the fact that the box speed is "pushing" the native speed about 1.5 stops is in a way a misnomer.   The full "push" to 3200 is just a little too much grainy contrasty for my taste in the normal situation; however, it obviously has utility in the right setting.

The actual speed is 1000 according to the manufacturer. Curiously they don’t give any processing recommendations for shooting at this speed.

• Like 1

Wayne - This past Sunday quite and until the sun came out I hardly saw anybody other than some mice and squirrels. The blurred person in my first photo (which I actually like) that I posted last night was an exception, and with a 20-30 sec exposure thought I eliminated him. I took two other exposures from the same spot that don't have anyone (and they are also a little cleaner and so may use one of them instead). As for processing, that's easy. I don't do it myself. My wife won't let me. So I use one of two labs in NYC. I don't remember what developer they use but they gear their processing toward being conducive to ultimately getting a flat scan.

Edward - yes, 100% correct, although the film is by nature very low contrast. So the fact that the box speed is "pushing" the native speed about 1.5 stops is in a way a misnomer. The full "push" to 3200 is just a little too much grainy contrasty for my taste in the normal situation; however, it obviously has utility in the right setting.

Totally agree, Adam. At 3200 it’s more like a special effects film, with grain hiding a lot of details. I’ve had excellent results at 1600, and never tried it at 800-1000, but I guess it would look even better. I’ve also seen T-max 400 pushed two stops that look comparably nice.

• Like 1

Good to know. I just pulled a couple rolls of Delta 3200 out of the freezer for a project (I didn't end up using them, but i was thinking of shooting at 1600). Now I am interested in trying them for something.... so develop at box speed...Thanks!

• Like 1