I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Agfa Ambi-Solette, 35 Color Ambion, Bergger 400 Pancro

• Like 17

It's a really good film for capturing a range of grays 

ive just started using this type of film....... I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, this is rally cool, Phil.  Were these lightening streak captured as part of a long exposure?  I like the colors, too.

Brilliant, Wayne - it ably demonstrates the benefit of having a nimble little camera with you always. Great title, too.

Thank you again to all those with great advice about how to control temperatures for colour processing. Today I struck paydirt. Sue and I went out to the local antiques market looking for something altogether different (a mid-century sideboard - a nice English one of which we found!) and we noticed there happened to be a stall selling camera and photographic gear. Great stall, by the way - he had everything from old mahogany and brass plate cameras to Pentax 110 SLR kits, Hasselblads, Leicas plus all sorts of paraphernalia. Anyway, he'd just brought out a Jobo TPE2 temperature-control unit - and at $75, that was my temperature anxieties cured! Also got my eye on a nice Graphlex TLR...

Anyway the Tetenal kit is on its way, so hopefully soon it will all mean I'll be able to soon process the colour films I haven't taken yet. As it's been a bit stormy of late, perhaps more like this:

Storm, Western Port 2003

Mamiya M645, 80mm f2.8 lens, Kodak E100VS

Very nice, Patrick.  The Agfa is really good for this mood.

Another 2 shot from this combo 

M7 / 7ART 50mm / AgfaVista200

Great stuff, Steve, among your very best.  And the first is my clear favorite.  That whisper is priceless!  I also bought a dozen or so rolls of the xx BW from Cinestill recently.  I got it for free as a result of them F$ucking up the Cinestill 50 in 120 format, which I got for free for them F$cking up some 120 rolls of the 800T.  I am hopeful that b/c there is no color there is thus no chance of schmootz with the xx :)

some random shots around NYC, eastman xx B&W movie film this role from Cinestill, there is something about the look of this film I really like. Most were shot with my 35mm summicron on the MA .... 

Thank you!

I really like this one ....nicely done

Thanks, Philip.

Sublime timing and framing, Adam. 

• Like 3

WOW. I mean WOW as in W.O.W. How did you shoot this?

Continuing the series 'Confessions of an anonymous photo exhibition shooter', here's another one from Fotografiska.

50/1.4A Portra 160 at EI80

23972208037_5ffc1f06a0_b.jpg

Flickr

Philip - this is really cool. A hard sort of picture to pull off properly - but the gaze and the positioning of the shadowed onlookers is perfect.

Wow, this is rally cool, Phil.  Were these lightening streak captured as part of a long exposure?  I like the colors, too.

Thank you so much, Philip and Adam. This was a picture I made for a book Sue and I had decided we'd produce, about our local area. Just as twilight fell and it was sufficiently dark I set the Mamiya 645 on a tripod where I had a good expansive view of Western Port with the lights of Phillip Island (where, incidentally, they host the Australian Moto GP) in the background. Most of the lightning seemed to be emanating from that direction (south). I selected an aperture of f11 or f16 and "bulb" for the shutter speed, and left the shutter open for a couple of minutes until I thought there had been sufficient lightning to build up for a reasonable picture. So of course all the lightning wasn't happening at once, this is very much a composite picture. As for the colours - well, they just happened. Of course I got soaked on the way back up to the car, but who cares, I got a better picture than what I'd hoped for.

Just a word of caution. People DO get struck by lightning - a young lady was killed watching lightning just a couple of weeks ago near here. I was standing with other people under trees - very foolish when I come to think about it. Much better if you try this to have the camera set up or under some sort of proper covering, like a verandah roof.

• Like 2

I indicated that I'd like a picture and the young monk reacted with an alacrity which surprised me. I was lucky to get him launching out of that canopied flatbed... a sort of school-bus.  

Vientiane, Laos

T-Max 100

The next shot would have been interesting too, did he make the jump OK, or flat on his face?

Looks an ungainly dismount regardless.

Gary

Agfa Ambi-Silette, 35mm Color Ambion, Bergger 400 Pancro

• Like 17

Some mundane theatrics in lower Manhattan

M3, 50mm dr cron, Portra 400

attachicon.gifMundane theaterics.jpg

That is an incredible shot. I don't know if it is a fact, but I have heard the DR 50 Summicron is one of the sharpest lenses Leica has made. This seems to support that opinion. It looks like he is not entirely pleased with the banana.......Or maybe its a bad market report.

Thanks

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Get on your bike

M6TTL

• Like 9

M6, 35CronASPH1, Fuji Reala

• Like 14

This is a wonderful abstract, Wayne. Simple and striking. It's the kind of scene I wish I would stumble upon with camera in hand.

attachicon.gifimg354.JPG

Agfa Ambi-Solette, 35 Color Ambion, Bergger 400 Pancro

I think this is one of your very best Brendan. It has both a serene balance with the various round shapes and arches and a slightly discomforting imbalance between the upper and lower halves which makes me think of heaven and hell somehow.

M7, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, HP5, D76:

38945469411_bf469b8760_c.jpg
Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

Wow there seems to be a lot of smoke everywhere in Manhattan. Really dramatic Adam.

Some mundane theatrics in lower Manhattan

M3, 50mm dr cron, Portra 400

attachicon.gifMundane theaterics.jpg

Thank you Eoin. We all know that Steve McCurry photograph from Afghanistan of Sharbat Gula with the very striking green eyes. But the photograph in this picture, to me, is more heartwrenching, probably because it is a young girl and she seems to actually express something, is it angry defiance? I don't know. Anyway, it also shot in Afghanistan by Swedish photojournalist Paul Hansen (who won the World Press Photo award for best picture 2012) and was in the awfully moving Being There exhibition at Fotografiska. Seeing the photos that man has taken makes me wonder how he can continue doing what he is doing.

This is wonderful, Philip. Beautifully seen and executed!

• Like 4

Just in case anyone was wondering what happens when you have an unnoticed piece of tape floating around an A12 film magazine whilst you merrily keep shooting rolls of film, this is the type of abstract input it provides (actually it provided slightly different dances for each frame of the 2 rolls I've developed so far) :rolleyes: .

I first noticed that 1 roll had only a short piece of tape when I went to seal an exposed roll of Delta 100, but the piece that was there was cut, not torn, so i didn't think much more about it. It was windy, with sand blowing around, so i wasn't spending a lot of time peering into the empty magazine between roll changes.

903 - Delta 100...

38916473002_973182cb3d_b.jpgZ001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 12