I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

indeed, Phil.  Interest texture and colors.

My grandfather painted cloud scenes on the walls and ceiling of one of the bedrooms, the one I slept in while visiting, in his house. For some reason this scene immediately triggered memory of that room. Simply beautiful. Also very relaxing.

Best,

Wayne

Nature playing complementary colours, nice!

Thank you so much Adam, Wayne and Steve - yes, Steve, it constantly strikes me that the colours nature pitches out are precisely the ones we feel work so well together. Of course this shouldn't come as a surprise if we consider that our response has been conditioned by everything we've ever seen in nature.

Wayne - thank you for such a personal reflection. Such triggering of memory is yest another example of what makes creative or observational work so immensely rewarding. I remember a few years ago when my wife and I had published a photographic book of the area we live (the Mornington Peninsula) there was a photo of two young girls sitting on a hand-rail watching other young people jumping off the jetty into the water and generally doing what young people do. One particular woman contacted us from Scandinavia, having been gifted a copy of the book as she'd lived here in her youth. She told us that picture had had her in tears as she remembered doing exactly the same thing in her own youth, and what a brilliant and visceral memory it had been. That comment probably meant more to us than anything else from the year we spent doing the project, and now yours Wayne just makes my world a better place. Thank you.

• Like 3

The National Trust spent a lot of money rethatching that barn a few years ago and, for some reason nobody could exactly fathom, the local jackdaws took a liking to it and threatened to strip it bare. I believe that a number of solutions were tried to dissuade the birds but all were unsuccessful so the Trust resorted to the wire netting that is now in place.

So, in addition to the pleasure of viewing an authentic thatched roof, the added pleasure of experiencing some of the daily frustrations of British forebears was thrown in, gratis. What a wonderful investment toward true historical experience. :)

• Like 5

The National Trust spent a lot of money rethatching that barn a few years ago and, for some reason nobody could exactly fathom, the local jackdaws took a liking to it and threatened to strip it bare. I believe that a number of solutions were tried to dissuade the birds but all were unsuccessful so the Trust resorted to the wire netting that is now in place.

Hello Ian,

That is interesting.

Perhaps the material that was used for thatching was not the original material that had been used historically,

Or: Perhaps the jackdaws were not the birds that had been there when the earlier thatching material was used years ago.

Or perhaps both the jackdaws & the thatching material were not the historical birds & historical materials respectively. That had been used & were present back in the old days.

It might be interesting if you could ask the people there, at the building, what the circumstances & situation were.

Because it is unlikely, given the extensive cost in both time & in materials, that people as smart as anyone on this Forum today: Would spend all of that time & use all of those materials to build a roof that the local birds would simply carry away.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Thank you so much Adam, Wayne and Steve - yes, Steve, it constantly strikes me that the colours nature pitches out are precisely the ones we feel work so well together. Of course this shouldn't come as a surprise if we consider that our response has been conditioned by everything we've ever seen in nature.

Yes indeed Phil, since we have evolved from the 'stuff' of the universe, star dust in fact, it is no surprise that our emotional response to visible light is shaped by the spectral emissions obeying the physical laws.
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

My wife friend Fame. Shot with Chamonix 8x10 on Ilford HP5+

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

Yes indeed Phil, since we have evolved from the 'stuff' of the universe, star dust in fact, it is no surprise that our emotional response to visible light is shaped by the spectral emissions obeying the physical laws.

Now that's interesting, Steve - I hadn't actually realized that, or at least made that connection. Your comment made me do a sliver of research and I came up with this: http://www.physics.org/article-questions.asp?id=52

Or, in the slightly more poetic words of Moby:

People they come together

People they fall apart

No one can stop us now

'Cause we are all made of stars

Anyway, thing is, how fortunate are we to be both the recipients and the beneficiaries of these unseen spectral forces, and how blessed indeed if we are able to sally forth with a camera and snatch a bit of that wealth for ourselves.
  • Like 1

overlooking Santa Monica Bay portra 800 or 400, but I do remember it was the R6.2 and 90mm R summicron lens ....

• Like 10

another from the same hike, this one the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island are in the background ....

• Like 11

Adam....awesome fall colors; great reflections along with the leaves.   I snapped the same frame after you left, still need to scan it...not sure if it will hold up to this....wonderful work my friend.   

From last Sunday morning in Central Park, where it is such a pleasure to be in the peak of Fall :)

Ektar, 503cw, 80mm Planar

attachicon.gifCP planar.jpg

• Like 1

Really lovely scene, Ian.  The foreground is stellar.

Looking out over the Vale of White Horse in Oxfordshire (though historically this was Berkshire). Dragon Hill (where St. George reputedly slew the dragon :D ) is in the middle distance and the Uffington White Horse is in the foreground right. This is the northern edge of the chalk uplands that incorporates the downs in Keith's recent photographs. The previously discussed Ridgeway is a hundred yards or so to the south of this position.

Thanks, Gregor :)

Just brilliant, Adam!

Cheers

J :)

Thanks, Eoin.  I do hope you stick around and play in the sandbox for a while :)

Thanks, Adam. I've been too busy with work to even glance at a camera (except for a couple of assignments with Make-A-Wish). I'm trying to snatch some silver moments while I can, and just got back from a trip to NZ where I had the freedom to do some happy snaps (and catch up with Gary B).

I love the Autumn colours you've been shooting, but that last street shot was oarsum!

Really good composition on this one, Eoin.  Really holds interest.

Opononi.

(903 w/ Neopan Acros 100)

D001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Very unique rendition, Marc.  You might try a wet print and see how it comes out.  Although we were far, I find that the distance puts the city skyline in a context that combines attributes of both a cityscape as well as a traditional landscape.

Early morning sunrise at the north end of Central Park's Reservoir, looking south east.   You have the second tallest building (1,400ft)  in NYC to the left, 432 Park avenue. Something about the blending of the colors in the water keeps me going back to this one, so I figured it made sense to post it here.

Hasselblad 503CW
80mm Planar CFE
Ektar
LS-9000

Beautiful, Steve.  Love the color of the water.  Hiking is a national past-time in LA :)

overlooking Santa Monica Bay portra 800 or 400, but I do remember it was the R6.2 and 90mm R summicron lens ....

Thanks, Marc :)

Adam....awesome fall colors; great reflections along with the leaves.   I snapped the same frame after you left, still need to scan it...not sure if it will hold up to this....wonderful work my friend.   

• Like 3

A blast from the past...

This is Paul Newman and his wife at the 1968 Tony Awards at the Sam S. Shubert Theater in New York City

Taken by my late Father with his (now my) Linhof Technika Press 23 and Zeiss Planar 100mm

Some kind of Kodak "safety film" 6x7 scanned by me, with very light adjustments in Lightroom (mostly just white points and a little sharpening)

A testament to a nearly 50-year old negative that spent most of its life in a wax paper envelop in an attic.

1968, by ADam Miller.jpg

Wow, Adam, this is awesome! I see photography runs in the family :) amazing quality and sharpness, not surprisingly though.

• Like 1