I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1

:D

Oh dear. Why do Leica forums have to show that they deserve the reputation they have for bitchiness? It's not just the sniping of the unconvinced non-owners against those they perceive as wealthy poseurs, but Leica owners seem to be at the throats of other Leica owners.

I'm quite willing to admit that the amateurish film photographs I show here are, in a sense digital photographs, and that my scanners are actually digital cameras - of course they are. I can't see any doctrinal difference between a negative scanned with a Flextight, or re-photographed with a Nikon D810. There may be technical differences in the output, but it's not a matter for shunning or burning at the stake. I do maintain that there is a difference between those images that have the film step before digitisation and those that are recorded initially by digital means. Sometimes that's due to the imperfections of film, and sometimes it's due to factors where film still outperforms digital, but mostly it's due to the altered mindset we are all familiar with when we use film. I doubt that either Henry or Reeray would find those statements objectionable, and it ought to provide the common ground upon which we manage to rub along together.

We ought not to forget that we are in a rather special position in this thread on the l-camera-forums since a cheeky member begged Andreas to allow us special permission to be able to post film photographs from any camera, rather than only Leicas, and I think this has helped the thread thrive as we celebrate film rather than a single camera brand. Let's not risk that very special thing, and while this is an open thread we all know it is Henry's passion (and no doubt a good deal of time and effort on his part) that keeps it so active and so inspiring to all of us. The ability to disagree in a civil fashion, and keep on talking to each other and thus keep on learning from each other ought to be a universal quality among adults. A quick and painless word of apology can save the day.

I have never met, in person, any of the participants of this thread, and yet in some strange way I feel I know a good deal about many of you from your photographs alone. That's quite a peculiar thing to be able to say, and perhaps could inform a debate between existentialists and essentialists. One thing it means to me is that I would be diminished if I were to lose any of you. Shall we rise above these current difficulties and continue to show everyone that film still has an honourable place in the world?

Last Daisy this year.

The whole thing turned out to be "Bokeh" (Sp? I am confused on the spelling.) But I like the result.

37062619334_c7e9ae1cd2_b.jpgimg048 by W P_, on Flickr

Kiev 30 Subminiature Camera, Svema 65 16mm film (Expired 1981), Rodinal 1/100, stand developed. I think film and camera are of same vintage......Soviet Power.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 10

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Another 8x10 with Aisana...........I will try and make a contact print of this when I get home :) :)

Shot in the lobby of the Pullman Hotel in Putrajaya Malaysia with natural light

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
  • Like 17

Very nicely exposed, Neil.

Another 8x10 with Aisana...........I will try and make a contact print of this when I get home :) :)

Shot in the lobby of the Pullman Hotel in Putrajaya Malaysia with natural light

Beautiful, Ian!  Love the glow!

Early one summer morning in Wiltshire. Portra 400 and 28 Summaron-M.

37028973184_0dce8f8316_b.jpg

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FILM COMPARISON TIME!!  Velvia 100 vs Ektar 100.  The battle of the 100 ISOs!!!

From the Tel Aviv Marina

503cw, 80mm Planar + Mutar 2x Tele converter

Edited by A miller
  • Like 6

:)

Edited by A miller
  • Like 9

One from our recent road trip.

YashicaMat LM, Provia 100, Arista E6 kit.

• Like 18

Another from our recent road trip, I missed exposure on this one by about 1/2 a stop.

• Like 15

Prefer the second, Adam, which I assume (probably wrongly) is the Ektar. The first looks to be a bit "blocky" by comparison (could probably benefit by half a stop more exposure), the second more "open" and "free" by comparison. What do you think?

I agree; the Ektar wins... again. :)  The Velvia 100 just has too many muddy blues and aren't worth trying to manage.  

• Like 1

Another from our recent road trip, I missed exposure on this one by about 1/2 a stop.

Beautiful.  I would have thought you could dial down the highlights in the faces just a tad in Lightroom with ease...?  Everything else is perfectly exposed

• Like 1

Beautiful.  I would have thought you could dial down the highlights in the faces just a tad in Lightroom with ease...?  Everything else is perfectly exposed

I'll give it a try, I hadn't actually used Lightroom until a couple of months ago, I'm still learning.

• Like 1

Just adding, I just checked the slide, the highlights are slightly blown but there is more detail than in this photo, I'll try rescanning it and see what I can do with it.

• Like 1

A hint of mist in the back yard this morning.

Zenit 1, Industar 50mm 3.5, Holga 400 ISO film.

• Like 17