I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

I feel I need to say how disappointed I am at the rudeness of a comment directed towards Henry a couple of pages back, and of the rather sheepish +1 and +2 of a couple of members whom I otherwise greatly respect here.

Henry's response indicated that he found the initial comment hurtful, and I wonder why anyone would set out to do that. We all, I'm sure, know Henry's thoughts on matters of film and digital, and I'd thought that we all accepted it as part of the rich pageant that is obviously the man, and that is just another quirky part of this thread. A very rare internet thread, I'd add, in that everyone here seems - or is that seemed? - to get on well and be supportive of each other no matter what our individual differences or opinions.

To me, and I think to the majority of us here, Henry is first and foremost a gentleman of the highest caliber, and he is immensely passionate about his love of film - it is why he started this thread in the first place. He's never hidden his views, and I think that we've accepted his stance in good grace. He is also the most supportive member of any forum I think I've read - always a positive, uplifting comment about pretty much every photograph posted here. His is a messianic passion for film, and that does not hurt anyone here - in fact I, and I think others, find it quite charming, and part of the charm of this immense thread.

If you happen to find his comments about digital "a yawn", perhaps you could be so polite as to let him know in terms that are not so offensive. Or alternatively you could just bugger off.

I hope that apologies to Henry will be forthcoming.

Well said, Phil.

• Like 5

I feel I need to say how disappointed I am at the rudeness of a comment directed towards Henry a couple of pages back, and of the rather sheepish +1 and +2 of a couple of members whom I otherwise greatly respect here.

Henry's response indicated that he found the initial comment hurtful, and I wonder why anyone would set out to do that. We all, I'm sure, know Henry's thoughts on matters of film and digital, and I'd thought that we all accepted it as part of the rich pageant that is obviously the man, and that is just another quirky part of this thread. A very rare internet thread, I'd add, in that everyone here seems - or is that seemed? - to get on well and be supportive of each other no matter what our individual differences or opinions.

To me, and I think to the majority of us here, Henry is first and foremost a gentleman of the highest caliber, and he is immensely passionate about his love of film - it is why he started this thread in the first place. He's never hidden his views, and I think that we've accepted his stance in good grace. He is also the most supportive member of any forum I think I've read - always a positive, uplifting comment about pretty much every photograph posted here. His is a messianic passion for film, and that does not hurt anyone here - in fact I, and I think others, find it quite charming, and part of the charm of this immense thread.

If you happen to find his comments about digital "a yawn", perhaps you could be so polite as to let him know in terms that are not so offensive. Or alternatively you could just bugger off.

I appreciate your thoughts, well articulated and succinctly put. I hope this unfortunate kerfuffle sorts out, good sense prevails, good humour and bonhomie restored. Play for the team, guys...

My good wishes to all.

• Like 6

Agreed Phil.

I think most that are honest will agree, his passion is infectious, just look at the way the thread races along when he's here, and dawdle when he's absent.

I consider myself fortunate to have become involved in the thread, and even more to have witnessed first hand personally the infectious nature of Henry. He truly is a one of a kind.

If his only failing is that he constantly gushes forth his views on digital then I for one can accept and live with that. At worst mention it privately to him, rather than how it came out here a page or two ago.

Let's all get back to doing what we enjoy, shooting film and or digital if that is what you enjoy. I shoot both, but post my digital in the appropriate threads, X-Vario or T.

Gary.

Edited by gbealnz
  • Like 9

I feel I need to say how disappointed I am at the rudeness of a comment directed towards Henry a couple of pages back, and of the rather sheepish +1 and +2 of a couple of members whom I otherwise greatly respect here...

(quote edited only for brevity)

I have to agree with straycat. I come to this thread mostly for the pleasure and relaxation of looking through a lot of very beautiful images, and I take Henry's commentary as an integral and very positive part of the dialog. He has his views about film and digital, and while I still use my digital cameras, I can absolutely endorse what he says, and his right to express it in this thread (which he started, after all).

The net is full of the contrary opinion - often stated as though it's an accepted truth - for instance, that digital color "long ago surpassed film color" or that the "quality" of a digital image is much "higher" than a film image. These sorts of opinions on blogs, articles, forum posts are simply commonplace. If someone can't take a few well-meaning comments that balance those generally accepted views, from an extremely active and encouraging poster like Henry, then maybe this thread isn't for them.

Just wish my snapshots were worthy of being shown side-by-side with some of the very talented photographers we're privileged to see here - then my participation would be more than just passive viewing. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing more, and continuing to read Henry's perfectly acceptable and humbly expressed opinions.
  • Like 10

Final photos from Scotland for now, this time from Jura. M6, FP4+

37673205241_e6acbc74a2_b.jpgMono_R7 (8).jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

37640212632_39f3df129b_b.jpgMono_R7 (15).jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

37640222992_694d6616de_b.jpgMono_R7 (19).jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

23819911788_61298df97d_b.jpgMono_R7 (16).jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

37002197503_e54c00a5e1_b.jpgMono_R7.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

FWIW, I don't care what medium people use, just make interesting images.

• Like 14

Another soulful scene from the Western Wall (Kotel) in Jerusalem (in the full res the words in the prayer book are very clear and are from Psalm 94, which happens to be the daily Psalm that we read every Wednesday as part of our morning prayers :)  ) 

Cinestill 800T (120 format)

Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Another soulful scene from the Western Wall (Kotel) in Jerusalem (in the full res the words in the prayer book are very clear and are from Psalm 94, which happens to be the daily Psalm that we read every Wednesday as part of our morning prayers :)  ) 

Cinestill 800T (120 format)

Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar

I like the colors of Cinestill in these frames. Do you meter for 800 or 500 like some suggest for the daylight?

thanks

• Like 1

Just wish my snapshots were worthy of being shown side-by-side with some of the very talented photographers we're privileged to see here - then my participation would be more than just passive viewing. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing more, and continuing to read Henry's perfectly acceptable and humbly expressed opinions.

Snapshots are often wonderful, post them. :)

• Like 3

I like the colors of Cinestill in these frames. Do you meter for 800 or 500 like some suggest for the daylight?

thanks

Thanks, Antonio. I think all i had was my spot meter and i am pretty sure that i set the meter to 500 iso and metered on the bright part of the wall and then opened up 2 stops to get that bright part on zone 7. This brought the dark areas no darker than zone 4 (perhaps 3 in the very darkest areas), which is key bc i find that the shadows crush very easily with this film at night and at night the film really benefits from a lot of light. I dont think I have ever overexposed this film at night.
  • Like 3

Thanks, Antonio. I think all i had was my spot meter and i am pretty sure that i set the meter to 500 iso and metered on the bright part of the wall and then opened up 2 stops to get that bright part on zone 7. This brought the dark areas no darker than zone 4 (perhaps 3 in the very darkest areas), which is key bc i find that the shadows crush very easily with this film at night and at night the film really benefits from a lot of light. I dont think I have ever overexposed this film at night.

It's interesting that we have different experiences with this film. I find it produces a lot of color shifts when overexposed. I like to shoot it slightly under actually.

• Like 1

I like the cool color rendering in this shot, Adam! Is it due to different light/time of the day or film characteristics?

Many thanks, Edward! I think it may be a little of both. The Velvia 100 has a different signature relative to the Velvia 50. Sometimes i like it, other times not so much. In my experience it doesnt have a consistent WB rendition and very much depends on the nature of the light. In this case, the light was from the very early morning and was selective in its appearance. The film naturally tended toward a cool WB in the dark parts, although thankfully not in a distortive way.

• Like 1