I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@John

I camera scan using a Beoon and a Fuji X-T1 and also my M240. In both cases the scan comes very close (read very close!) to my dedicated film scanner which is a Minolta MultiPro.

In that case do you camera scan for convenience, speed...? For me, I think if the results are comparable, I'd prefer a scanner, even with its slower workflow. 

John 

• Like 1

Thanks, Antonio. I tried a similar setup with a Nex 7 and Fuji X-M1 and a Nikkor 55 Micro, but I preferred the results with my Plustek 8200. With so many folks going to cameras, I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I might give it another try.

I do perfer the scanner working method. It is certainly slower, but I usually only scan three or four negatives per roll, so speed is not much of an issue. I know the 8200 is fairly low-end, but in reading about camera scanning, most cite the speed benefit and I haven't seen people claiming the results are superior. Maybe others who are camera scanning could speak to that.

John

@John

I camera scan using a Beoon and a Fuji X-T1 and also my M240. In both cases the scan comes very close (read very close!) to my dedicated film scanner which is a Minolta MultiPro.

John and Ray , scanner like Minolta Pro > the least worst digitalization of images ...

like in your last pictures Ray (specially picture 3) I think it's too hypernet or hypersharp like picture coming from digital cameras.

You lose the softness of film and I do not talk about the difference in color (see my previous posts on this topic)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

@Henry, you're welcome to your opinion but maybe you should keep it to yourself in future. Your constant diatribe against digital is a yawn. It isn't worse, its different.

Over and out

+1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Henry, you're welcome to your opinion but maybe you should keep it to yourself in future. Your constant diatribe against digital is a yawn. It isn't worse, its different.

Over and out

Ray I disagree because film reproduces differently

I show to all of you the proofs when I compare digital vs film not a diatribe

You will probably notice that I never comment in other digital threads because

I am sincere

I cannot tell that color is beautiful , when it's not , that's the reason you don't see

my comments in these digital threads

If it continues I'll stop to post my film pictures in this thread... may be pictures

posted above are my last.

Good continuation All 

Best

Henry

PS : I still have my two M digital cameras but don't use them.. and one detail

I have 9 years of digital practice behind me

Edited by Doc Henry

I love Porta 160 also. Took this with my Leica IIIf, and my 1935 Summar F2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by smartn
  • Like 11

+1

+2

Henry, we enjoy your pictures and I believe you know that already, not the Mac vs PC debate... we already went through this quite a few times already I recall, just enjoying film together here is a nice treat which you originated and we thank you for this.

You 're welcome to start another thread dedicated to film vs digital .

Best,  Jean-Marc.

Edited by JMF

Over and out

With all due respect, I don't think it's appropriate to tell someone to keep their opinion to themselves. That's rather rude don't you think?

I certainly disagree with Henry about his film vs digital views but I never felt that I should silence him, and I'm sure almost everyone here feels the same way.

• Like 10

With all due respect, I don't think it's appropriate to tell someone to keep their opinion to themselves. That's rather rude don't you think?

I certainly disagree with Henry about his film vs digital views but I never felt that I should silence him, and I'm sure almost everyone here feels the same way.

Being recurrently driven into the cons of digital is irrelevant in a film only thread  .

Edited by JMF

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M6, 35CronASPH1, Fuji Reala

• Like 12

I said color of digital is not the same another example with Leica T of Gary

specially red, purple,green ,white,red bricks ...

Gent (Belgium) , not sunny , cloudy (small clouds) that day

Aug 2017

....  comparison with this picture

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/226003-post-your-t-shots-here/?p=3376333

Kodak Portra 160-Leica M7-35 Summicron  Asph

Nikon Coolscan 5000

No correction

some blue sky with a lot of small clouds like cotton aspect seem in relief

attachicon.gifImage21gandkp16m7lf+++550.jpg

Gary advice ? :)

Best

Henry

Each is nice Henry.

Gary

Edited by gbealnz

Nice capture JM but black seems a little "smoothing" not like with TX grain ?

Is it normal ? scan or development ?

Thanks for posting

Henry

Thanks,  Henry.

True, the second was "smoothed" somehow in the post processing . I cannot remember exactly the details as it was done a few years ago. The photo was taken in 1995 and probably with a green filter on the lens.

Edited by JMF

Love this one

Thanks Adam, 

It did print very nicely ! 

We were filming in a small restaurant hidden by the passing truck and had to stop for a moment as the next door temple smoked us in completely !

Edited by JMF