I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a really tough one, Adam. Initially I opted for the first, but then after A LOT of scrolling up and down, I find myself leaning to the second. But there are aspects of either that I slightly - ever so slightly - prefer over the other eg I prefer the sky colour in the first but the water colour in the second. I prefer the wall colour in the first but the reflected boat at left colour in the second. I think the second could use just a touch more exposure, and maybe the first just a smidgen less. So does that make it a tie?

Either would make a beautiful White Wall print aluminium mounted on metallic paper!

Thanks sincerely, Phil, for your generous close look and feedback.  It is very valuable!!

• Like 1

I need to buy some Velvia 50, I recently tested Velvia 100 against Provia 100 and found myself preferring the Provia. I have 5 rolls of Ektar in the fridge to shoot. I need to test that against Velvia 50 than pitch the winner against Provia 100.

One thing I have found is that different formats require different films. I love Delta 100 in 35mm but hate it in 120.

I hear you, Mike.  If you have the extra film back, why not compare! :)

• Like 1

Back to the Tel Aviv Marina for another FILM STOCK COMPARISON!!!    Velvia 50 vs Ektar

This time, I am not going to disclose which is which and will leave it up to you to decide which you like better!

Hassy 503cw, 250mm Superachromat

Too tough for me to call, either/both.

Gary

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Portra 160. I'm always impressed with the latitude of film!  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Back to the Tel Aviv Marina for another FILM STOCK COMPARISON!!!    Velvia 50 vs Ektar

This time, I am not going to disclose which is which and will leave it up to you to decide which you like better!

attachicon.gifTLV MArins1.jpg

Hello Adam

The first seems better to me, the water colour is more pleasing to my eye and the detail in the wall is less washed out. It seems a bit more 'true' (which could be a good thing or a bad thing). Both lovely.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Added a wet plate border..................Just need to wait 28 days before I get home to be able to print it and hang it on a wall....love shooting 8x10

Neil

• Like 15

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Aisana shot with my Chamonix 8x10 with Ilford HP5+ and developed in LC29 for 5 1/2 mins

Neil

• Like 14

attachicon.gifTLV MArins1.jpg

Both are outstanding Adam. The differences in color rendering are of course obvious, but none shows any faults. It's good to know that Velvia has a competent rival in the c-41 camp.

• Like 1

Very nice viewing.

Was it camera scanned as some of the others you've mentioned, ie Fuji (with BEOON ?)

Thanks, Steve. And yes it was scanned with a Fuji X-T10 with a Componon-S 50/2.8. The camera is mounted on a tripod because I don’t have a Beoon. Also I don’t use tubes because the M42 adapter and the focus helicoid already work as magnification tubes. At the end I can fill 90% of the frame. The tripod is probably not as easy as a beoon, but that’s what I have. Here’s a picture of the setup. I used the enlarging tubes (see the green tape) as a hood for the componon because I was getting ambient light refraction in the lens. Eventually I’ll build a rigid stand with a sliding quick release. I’ve tried already but it was too flimsy and I went back to the tripod.

I’ve also tried with a Canon eos something with 24 megapixel but the results with the Fuji were basically the same. My current process is: shoot raw (F11 1/2s), convert to DNG with x-transformer, invert and adjust exposure in camera raw, save to tiff and then finally clean and adjust small things in LR.

3cf0cc62c1426b129d1b0c84308d2327.jpg

fda4e6d7ca988cbbd2a337ea81a81b91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 10

Some red , vivid red now with Kodachrome 64 :)

Adam comparison with red of Velvia your advice ?

and butterfly is for Ian :)

Leica R4S-Summicron 50

Nikon Coolscan V - Nikon Software Tiff > Jpeg for post

Uncorrected

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 15