I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

M4 T-Max 400

Sun kissed stone masonry, Florence, Italy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 16

Transport of a different kind .......

Canon EOS 5, EF 20-35, ADOX Silvermax 100

• Like 15

Hi David,Phil and Philip, scan with one scanner is a less "bad" way to have possibility to post here....and if you can , with no correction with any software , specially for color because you can distort the original color aspect....the "best" way is print no digitalization..Best Henry. (sent from my iPhone) David some pictures scan with your Scitex?I don't know this brand

Henry, thanks for yours.

This is the Scitex scanner I have: http://www.genesis-equipment.com/productdetailslink_Refurbished-CreoScitex-Scanners_243.aspx

It is a beast of a machine (154lbs) that I purchased many years ago from a magazine that had little use for it given its transition to digital imaging. I paid about 5% of it original $25,000 +/- cost. Scanning with it, especially with the use of an oil preparation, is a time consuming process. The Oxygen software, run on a vintage Mac G5 box, is remarkably good for its age.  With the right chrome, and if I get it right, the results can be exceptional.

I bought the Scitex to replace a Nikon 9000 that I used to scan MF images, which it did splendidly. The Nikon is an excellent machine. I have printed many 24" x 24" images from the Nikon on my Epson 7800 that rival or exceed Leica S 006 output. When I began to dabble in LF, I needed a machine that could handle the bigger format. As good as the Nikon is, the Scitex (a Kodak product) really digs deep into the shadows to bring out detail the Nikon can not reach. 

I confess that the machine has sat patiently for several years since my purchase of an M9 6 years ago an the S 006 two years ago. But, as is true in a life's journey, we often return to those experiences that once gave us great joy, only to appreciate and value them in a new way. As for me, I plan to buy some Ilford XP-2 Super and shoot it with the Rollei 6008 and see what happens. If anything good comes of it, I will share the result.

Best,

David

• Like 4

I am greatly enjoying all these wonderful film images which obviously require digitization to be posted. I have had excellent results scanning MF chromes - mostly Ektachrome, first with a Nikon 9000 and now with a Scitex Eversmart Pro flatbed. I have never tried my hand at scanning negative film or B&W. But I want to give it a go. I have keenly examined the film used in the images presented and truly have not been able to discern which of them seem to be more amenable to scanning. Though I have to say that the Tri-X images are particularly impressive. Perhaps some of you who have scanned various negative films would share which of them scan particularly well.

Obliged,

David

Have you tried Foma film I find it scans well also HP5 is good

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Henry, thanks for yours.

This is the Scitex scanner I have: http://www.genesis-equipment.com/productdetailslink_Refurbished-CreoScitex-Scanners_243.aspx

It is a beast of a machine (154lbs) that I purchased many years ago from a magazine that had little use for it given its transition to digital imaging. I paid about 5% of it original $25,000 +/- cost. Scanning with it, especially with the use of an oil preparation, is a time consuming process. The Oxygen software, run on a vintage Mac G5 box, is remarkably good for its age.  With the right chrome, and if I get it right, the results can be exceptional.

I bought the Scitex to replace a Nikon 9000 that I used to scan MF images, which it did splendidly. The Nikon is an excellent machine. I have printed many 24" x 24" images from the Nikon on my Epson 7800 that rival or exceed Leica S 006 output. When I began to dabble in LF, I needed a machine that could handle the bigger format. As good as the Nikon is, the Scitex (a Kodak product) really digs deep into the shadows to bring out detail the Nikon can not reach. 

I confess that the machine has sat patiently for several years since my purchase of an M9 6 years ago an the S 006 two years ago. But, as is true in a life's journey, we often return to those experiences that once gave us great joy, only to appreciate and value them in a new way. As for me, I plan to buy some Ilford XP-2 Super and shoot it with the Rollei 6008 and see what happens. If anything good comes of it, I will share the result.

Best,

David

David, 

How are you coping with the SCSI interface? On my old Powermac G4 I had a SCSI interface card. When I upgraded it to a twin processor G5 PowerMac, the SCSI interface had gone and you could not buy a SCSI card. You could buy an external FW800 to SCSI box, which had to be separately powered with its own wall wart but it did not work at all well. Eventually my Polaroid Artixscan 4000 which was an excellent machine, with auto-focus, went up in flames, I think because the SCSI interface was not turning the illumination off, when between scans. Now Ratoc who were making the FW to SCSI chip set, have stopped, so I think that unless you have an old working machine with a SCSI interface, there is no way to talk to these excellent older scanners like the Scitex and Imacon. 

Wilson

David, 

How are you coping with the SCSI interface? On my old Powermac G4 I had a SCSI interface card. When I upgraded it to a twin processor G5 PowerMac, the SCSI interface had gone and you could not buy a SCSI card. You could buy an external FW800 to SCSI box, which had to be separately powered with its own wall wart but it did not work at all well. Eventually my Polaroid Artixscan 4000 which was an excellent machine, with auto-focus, went up in flames, I think because the SCSI interface was not turning the illumination off, when between scans. Now Ratoc who were making the FW to SCSI chip set, have stopped, so I think that unless you have an old working machine with a SCSI interface, there is no way to talk to these excellent older scanners like the Scitex and Imacon. 

Wilson

Wilson,

This will not satisfy your curiosity, I fear. I plugged the scanner into the G5 box USB port and it ran. Perhaps it had to do with the Oxygen software. It seems to me that there may have been a prompt about connection options when I was setting it all up. Because I do remember something about an external box, but never needed one. Sorry I could not be more explicit, but your questions are well above my technical pay grade. 

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

And here the look back from the second floor of the tower:

• Like 17

A couple of shots from the Long Room of the Trinity College in Dublin. Pretty dark inside.

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Tri-X 4006ce11e7b39bcc4634ed45aaae96815b9.jpg57209e1b87535cef685202a5fcc5d859.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love libraries, Trinitys is one of the best and your photo Antonio captures some of the charm for me, old books, tall book cases, corners and hidden recesses. Lovely.

• Like 1

Thank you, Charles. Sometimes I think that through all the years and tens of thousands of dollars in camera purchases, this little $30 scale-focus camera is really all I ever needed. 

John

Yes ironic isn't John, sometimes a camera like the XA2 lets you concentrate on the essence of photography - the photograph!

• Like 1

@Chris: I am really enjoying your Cabot trail series - wonderful impressions and colors!

@Adam: Love your last picture of Jerusalem for the earthy tones and the calm the picture depicts.

Here a rather classic view of the Eiffel Tower from Trocadero:

attachicon.gifBild-1-86.jpg

Minilux - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

And here the look back from the second floor of the tower:

attachicon.gifBild-1-92.jpg

James very nice color . I must try this film. Best Henry (sent from my iPhone) Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1