I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

La la land. A picture that I don't think would have been the same with digital (I could well be wrong here) due to the banding you'd likely get around the sun spot. Even with digitizing via scanning, the film characteristics have been preserved:

p2154765469-5.jpg

Hollywood Hills, 2016

M6TTL, 90mm Summicron, Tri-X, K2

Phil,

perfectly exposed - I am amazed that greys are visible both in the sky and in the landscape.  

This was taken quite early one morning. There's a guy asleep on the bench in the background. Not sure if that adds to the picture or not - I didn't realize it until after I'd scanned the negative.

p2154767028-5.jpg

Venice Beach, California 2016

M6TTL, 50mm Summicron, Tri-X, K2

Perfectly timed, and a wonderful expression of body and face; though I am not 100% sure about the composition as, at least to me, there's a lot of empty space on the left side.

Also, the lens or lens-cap seems to protrude in the right lower corner of your image :)

Rgds

C.

• Like 2

The Germania

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M7, TRIX400, XTOL, Nikon CoolScan V ED

Edited by Ratzfatz
  • Like 18

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Digging for shellfish - seen at the beach in Calais:

Minilux - Agfa Vista 100

• Like 16

Shot in difficult light conditions at the Gamescom in Cologne:

Minilux - Lomo 400

• Like 14

Minimalism:

Minilux - Lomo 400

• Like 19

R6

Summicron 50mm

T-Max 100

R09 1:50

Gary

• Like 14

Nice one, Gary.  Hope all is well and looking forward to seeing more!

My try at minimalist, M4-2, 35mm Color Skopar, Ferrania P30

Alnmouth Beach

112-XL.jpg

Love that red!

Shot in difficult light conditions at the Gamescom in Cologne:

attachicon.gifBild-1-91.jpg

Minilux - Lomo 400

• Like 2

Again, these last couple of pages (actually the whole thread!) are testament to the incredible eyes and minds that visit this thread. It is a constant joy to visit here.

Phil, I like your photo very much. The subject is interesting, and the fellow sleeping is a small, but significant feature, in my view. I also love the relatively high key treatment. The richness with which B&W film handles the upper tones is one of the main drivers for me taking it up again after so many years of digital. Yours is a great example, although here in the Midwest we have nothing like your CA sun, even in summer.

Personally, I would clone out the black spot on the bottom right corner. It's pretty distracting, at least for me.

John

Phil,

perfectly exposed - I am amazed that greys are visible both in the sky and in the landscape.  

Perfectly timed, and a wonderful expression of body and face; though I am not 100% sure about the composition as, at least to me, there's a lot of empty space on the left side.

Also, the lens or lens-cap seems to protrude in the right lower corner of your image :)

Rgds

C.

Thank you so much John and Christoph. John, not MY California sun, unfortunately - in fact later that same day I took this I was on a plane heading back to Melbourne. You are right about the California light - I think Los Angeles in particular has a unique and exquisite light - it hits me like a sledge hammer whenever I'm there - especially in the evenings. Also, John, your film examples posted here have been wonderful - I hope you'll stick with film now that you've rediscovered it - it suits your style perfectly.

Thanks also both of you for pointing out about the black thing in the lower corner. I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't the lens cap. You are right - it would be better gone.

The Germania

attachicon.gifGER_Rheingau_R2_TRIX400_03_listo.jpg

Leica M7, TRIX400, XTOL, Nikon CoolScan V ED

This has such a wonderful balance - great shot.

• Like 4

I hope it's OK to post this again - I think I originally posted it some time ago in Adam's wonderful "Life's A Beach" thread, so I apologise if I'm spamming you with this shot. I think it's relevant here because I used a different (for me) film - Adox Silvermax 100. This is a very very beautiful film that I intend to use more of, especially now as the days are getting longer and brighter here. It has the incredible (again, for me) advantage that I can co-process it with my usual Tri- X - times in XTOL 1:1 are identical (9 minutes @ 20C). Tonally it reminds me of Tri-X and maybe the old Agfapan 100 - in other words, superb:

p2154767825-5.jpg

Venice Beach, California 2016

M6TTL, 50mm Summicron, Adox Silvermax 100, K2

• Like 17

My most memorable aspect of this shoot was the deafening screeching of the roosters overpowering the Arabic calls to prayer :)

Dawn over the Old City of Jerusalem.

Ektar | 503cw | 250mm Superachromat

attachicon.gifDawn over Jerusalem.jpg

Great shot of a city awakening - with your description, the atmosphere is palpable. And Ektar, good old Ektar - spotted it straight away. There seems to be some magic with you, that film and that 250mm lens especially (oh, and and the SWC).

• Like 1

My most memorable aspect of this shoot was the deafening screeching of the roosters overpowering the Arabic calls to prayer :)

Dawn over the Old City of Jerusalem.

Ektar | 503cw | 250mm Superachromat

attachicon.gifDawn over Jerusalem.jpg

this is a spectacular photograph. My ship pulled into Haifa in the 80s and I, of course, went to Jerusalem....with my Olympus XA. My most vivid memory of the visit came as a result of an attempt I made to snap a photograph of a Hasidic pair (father and son) on the Sabath. The old man scolded me, and then the son- knowing the US Navy was in port and recognizing me as a likely crew member- scolded the old man. I passed on the photograph. I will never forget it. I treasure it and think about it every time I see one of your photos from Jerusalem. I was overlooking the wailing wall at the time of my episode. The father scolded me in Hebrew. The son scolded the father in English.

Also, I remember they gave us bowls of olives, instead of peanuts, with our beer. To this day I prefer to munch on olives while drinking beer....if I have the option.

Thanks for the shots.

• Like 1