I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Righto, the brains trust, any ideas what went wrong here?

It should be in another segment of the Forum I know, but this group is a wealth of knowledge and I thought I'd ask here first.

One of my 16 holiday rolls, and the only one with this "issue".

The colour etc is OK for the purpose, it's my proof scan, to work out what happens next.

Gary

In my opinion the light streaks are too homogeneous and consistent to be caused by the camera. The entire film has been exposed to a light leak at a consistent speed and intensity which is more likely what would happen with a minilab machine.

• Like 2

I'm clutching at straws Henry.

It's the only roll, of 9 that were shot in the R6. (the mono as you know were shot in the SL).

Possibly the rear film door?

Annoying, but at least for some of them I also had the SL.

Can't save these of course, but it would be nice to know, for the future.

Gary

Gary in this case , not a sealing pb of the camera but as said Edward , possible light leak

of the roll itself or lab machine ? all your 9 rolls dev in same lab ?

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Kodak Portra 400 (dev myself Tetenal)

Leica R8-35 Elmar ... and no correction in photo software

Stormy that day in the Bay

attachicon.gifImage15baymtsmichkodpo400+++1000.jpg

and high tide

attachicon.gifImage16mtstmichkodpo400redrle+++1000.jpg

Regards

Henry

Great to have you back Henry, and these two photo's are lovely especially the wonderful light in the second.

• Like 1

Arboretum, Canberra

Plaubel-Makina 67, Ektar 100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 19

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Arboretum, Canberra

Pauubel Makina 67, Ektar 100

• Like 19

Blood Sunset

Mt Stromlo, Canberra

• Like 19

It should be in another segment of the Forum I know, but this group is a wealth of knowledge and I thought I'd ask here first.

The colour etc is OK for the purpose, it's my proof scan, to work out what happens next.

Gary

Gary, my first guess is that you scanned the film in the filing sleeve, and this sort of flare or interference can happen on flatbeds.

If this is the case, try scanning with the film removed, or even select a frame at random and scan it 'properly' to see if it is OK.

• Like 1

A Tribute to Grain !

Tri-X 

JMF - is this BEOON scanned using the SL or MM, or am I completely off the mark? If I'm right the camera has picked up the lovely grain quite nicely.

Steve, this was processed and scanned by a lab on a Noritsu scanner.

The TriX roll was shot overexposed by a stop and then pull processed ( minus a stop ).

Best , JM

Edited by JMF

Gary

Only one roll of film out of sixteen would indicate a possible processing equipment problem or mishandling, assuming this wasn't the 16th roll when the camera could have developed a light leak or not been closed correctly after loading. If it was the last roll of 16, expose another roll and have it processed by someone/place other than whoever processed the faulty one. If it comes back faulty, it would indicate a camera light leak and possibly the seals or shutter might need attention. If it comes out ok, then the lab or whoever processed the faulty film are probably to blame.

Edited by honcho
  • Like 1

Gary

I agree with what several other have said, this looks like a lab issue, not a camera problem. Possibly a cover on the minilab was not fully latched after the cartridge was loaded?

• Like 2

Unlikely to be the camera. The blue cast is uniform over the entire film, including the leader/trailer and small bits of edge we can see. Same with the band at the bottom. The band looks like a possible light leak in processing, and the blue cast might be a chemical issue. I wonder if the chemicals in the machine were not used beyond their useful life - hard to know.

Friends,

As a dedicated M9 and S user, my time is typically spent on the electron side of the site. Somehow I ended up here over the weekend and have marveled at the images, camaraderie and enthusiasm that is refreshingly analog. While I love my electronic devices, their output and the discussions they spawn, we become inevitably distracted by the foibles and eccentricities of increasingly complex gear. Frankly, all the tech talk gets a bit tiring as well.

Here, it is all about the image, as it should be. And I am inspired. In fact, this weekend I will dust off a lovely IIIc that I inherited from a beloved uncle and send it off for a CLA and repair.

I last brought that gem to a much younger eye about 40 years ago. And broke it. It was in the historic Jewish cemetery in Prague. While I was bending over to study a grave stone, the camera leaped out of its leather case and dash its brains against that monument. Apparently, the screw that attached the camera to the case had stripped, allowing the body to fall to its death. The irony of a German camera choosing this place for such a deed was not lost on me. Nor was the pain of knowing that I had killed a cherished possession that had been entrusted to me by a man who I loved and admired in equal parts. Putting my Eurail pass to good use, I traveled to Leica places in Austria and Germany looking, futilely, for a place that might resurrect the device. All without success. Telling my uncle that I had killed the camera given to him by his father, my grandfather, is a pain that still burns.

Thirty years later, my uncle mentioned in passing that, as a kid, he lusted after a Kodak Bantam Special. In an act of stale redemption, I went on Ebay and bought for him the best specimen of that camera I could find. It did not bring back the Leica. But it made me feel better.

My uncle has since passed. And I inherited his menagerie of camera gear. All film, from peculiar, plastic Soviet boxes with plastic lenses to Nikon F's and FTN's, a Minox and even a pin hole rig that he shlepped to Egypt. But of the bunch, the Leica reigns supreme, and also made its uncertain way back into my hands. 

So I will send it off to YYecamera to see if a resurrection is possible. If so, it will be brought back to life. And I will dedicate the best of those images to my dear uncle who, by example, taught me how to see, and then, despite his passing, again entrusted with me a very special tool to capture those visions. 

Thanks for reading.

David

Edited by Deliberate1
  • Like 14

I like much these trees and the reflection of the color by the sun

Great color

Arboretum, Canberra

Pauubel Makina 67, Ektar 100

attachicon.gif000005-4.jpg

Great sunset and color Mark

Blood Sunset

Mt Stromlo, Canberra

attachicon.gif000004-5.jpg

Impressive picture Mark and nice color. Need patience to take this picture.

Regards

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1