I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

People pour out their hearts in prayer to God and stick them in the cracks of the wall, which is very holy b/c is it the only wall leftover from the Second Temple that was destroyed by the Romans in the year 70 CE.

Cinestill 800T (120 format)

Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar

attachicon.gifkotel.jpg

Adam, I have very much enjoyed  your images of the Haredi, in NYC and Jerusalem. Once can not look at this community without remembering Roman Vishniac's extraordinary images of a people and place lost to history at the hands of monsters.

But I would be remiss if I did not point out that the Kotel (Western Wall) is not actually a "wall" of the Second Temple structure. Rather it is the retaining wall for the Temple Mount upon which the two Temples were built. Now, the plateau is home to the Al Aqsa Mosque and Dome of the Rock shrine.

When you find yourself in Israel again, I strongly suggest a visit (with your camera) to Safed (Sfat) the birthplace of Kabbalah - Jewish mysticism. It is an art colony as well. Ancient for certain, but far from cloistered. Some years ago I was walking down the main cobble stone street with my beloved Rollei 6008i hung around my neck. With the 90mm Schneider, it looked like a bazooka - at least that is what an Israeli soldier called it as he passed by. But on this day in Safed, I was beckoned into a dusty gallery by a bearded and bespeckled gentleman dressed in manner of his ancestors, hearkening back countless generations - woolen breeches, buckled shoes, knee socks, felt vest and plain white shirt. His appearance and countenance were unsullied by the passage of centuries. I thought him a living antique, that is until he asked pointed technical questions about my Rollei, and then gleefully pulled out from under his desk a box he received the prior day from B&H which contained a new Canon lens that he had lusted after. And so it goes. Appearances are deceiving - usually.

Cheers, mate.

David

Edited by Deliberate1
  • Like 5

The Western Wall (Kotel), Jerusalem, at night.  

I wanted to capture the motion of the people swaying back and forth in their soulful prayers.  I believe it was about a second exposure.  In the full res the detail in the wall is quite good.  People pour out their hearts in prayer to God and stick them in the cracks of the wall, which is very holy b/c is it the only wall leftover from the Second Temple that was destroyed by the Romans in the year 70 CE.

Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar

attachicon.gifkotel.jpg

they let you set up a tripod to take that picture? i am amazed, happily. cinestill120 -- no schmootz?

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wanted to capture the motion of the people swaying back and forth in their soulful prayers.  I believe it was about a second exposure.  In the full res the detail in the wall is quite good.  People pour out their hearts in prayer to God and stick them in the cracks of the wall, which is very holy b/c is it the only wall leftover from the Second Temple that was destroyed by the Romans in the year 70 CE.

Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar

attachicon.gifkotel.jpg

Adam,

Nice idea, nicely implemented. You can observe the effector the missing anti-halation layer of Cinestill in the surrounding of the whites of the chair. 

rgds

C.

• Like 3

Hello film friends,

It's been a while since I posted, due to a drawn-out house move and also my participation in this. But now I should have more time for photography. Here are a few I shot at the end of the summer in the Amsterdam Zuid area.

Btw, it's great to see the thread continue to move at warp speed and with such inspiring photos. And it's particularly nice to see new contributors joining our ranks, too.

90-EM, Vista 200 at EI80

36889474085_7c4ab125ac_b.jpg

Flickr

36081176743_1c66891521_b.jpg

Flickr

• Like 11

My first use of Cinestill 800. Somebody in Melbourne (who commercially distributes this film) handed me a roll this July just for a try. I'm grateful. Some turned out well enough but a few at the beginning of the roll have a reddish colour cast. Not sure what happened there but I won't look a gift horse...

28mm angle at the vintage car show at our local here.. Taninges, Haute-Savoie

Three MGs.jpg

Love the colors in this shot, especially the turquoise and the light blue cars. These are very difficult colors to reproduce. As for reddish cast in the beginning of the roll, due to the removal of the antihalation layer, the film lets the light through and isn't as opaque as regular film. You must make sure to keep the film in it's black canister, and load the film in very subdued light.

• Like 1

Hello film friends,

It's been a while since I posted, due to a drawn-out house move and also my participation in this. But now I should have more time for photography. Here are a few I shot at the end of the summer in the Amsterdam Zuid area.

Btw, it's great to see the thread continue to move at warp speed and with such inspiring photos. And it's particularly nice to see new contributors joining our ranks, too.

90-EM, Vista 200 at EI80

36889474085_7c4ab125ac_b.jpg

Flickr

Flickr

Hi Philip , yes also glad see you back :)

Color is beautiful for these two pictures specially this pictures

Nice reflection. Thank you for posting.

Best

Henry

• Like 2

Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar

attachicon.gifkotel.jpg

I love the slight movement

• Like 1

Random street portraits in LA.  Mamiya C330, 80mm lens, HP5+

attachicon.gifImg001.jpg

attachicon.gifImg002.jpg

P.S. Welcome back Doc Henry  :)

Ill have to get my c330 again i forgot how good the 80mm lens is, you have caught her perfect, what a lovely smile i'm smitten even better she looks like a red head

Edited by gsgary
  • Like 1

A walk along the South Bank, London

Leica M2, DR Summicron 50, Ilford Delta 400, HC-110 B

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17