I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Henry

Maybe it is a blessing, but I am having difficulty in seeing any striking signs of inferiority in the lower priced color films, e.g. Agfa Vista, Fuji Superia, Kodak Gold, etc. While there may be differences, nothing seems less pleasant to view. I suppose there could be significant differences in level of exposure error the films will tolerate,  my incapacity to perfectly judge where exposure should be also makes it difficult for me to judge these films on that level .....What I have noticed is that the prices for the "bargain" films are slowly creeping up. It is becoming difficult to find any of them for much less than $5.00 a roll......Only the Kodak Gold remains available at a significantly lower price. When one considers that demand is one thing that drives price increases, maybe this uptick in prices portends well for the future of film. If not for the wallet. :)

Yes Kodak Gold and Fuji Superia in example are cheaper and have also great color.

That's the advantage of film less expensive than buying a digital M10 obsolete in few years

Kodak Gold and Fuji Sup are nearer of Portra and cost less

I recommand you these two films if you want to stay with Kodak or Fuji according to your taste :)

for Agfa Vista I think it's furnished by Fuji

Thanks Wayne

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Henry - i think the excavation of salt and minerals by skin care companies over the decades has also contributed to the depletion of the sea. But have no concern b/c Israel will be channeling fresh water from the Kinneret sea in the north within the next few years.

...  the future of Aral Lake near Dead Sea

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/drought-drains-aral-sea-18123

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/business-spectator/is-climate-change-finishing-off-the-aral-sea/news-story/d855a8e43cc8c2c359bb2cb45b10c46d

Henry

• Like 2

Three more from Saturday's roll of Neopan 400 testing a 90mm Elmarit-R on my R5.

Anyone for brunch?

36625218395_d221dcfe08_b.jpg

Desirable retail premises...

36625218305_70e8794519_b.jpg

A waste of electricity on a sunny afternoon

36625218185_0377892791_b.jpg

Like said Wayne the urban side in picture 1

I like the second picture , the old paint is really nice

Keith great pictures in b&w

Best

Henry

• Like 1

excellent light on this one, Phil.  Executed perfectly!

I'm still here in scorching Israel and have been shooting mostly with my Hasselblads, the SWC and 503CW as well as my 80 planar and 250 superachromat, as well as with my 16mm tube (which I finally got the hang of!) and Mutar 2X teleconverter (which has come in handy for some tightly framed scenes that I had been wanted to capture)

Whew - that's a mouthful, and I didn't even mention the M3 and 50 DR cron that I've been shooting mostly family snaps with (my M-A and 28mm have been mostly sitting idle...)!

I trekked to the Dead Sea the past two mornings for the sunrise. Woke at 3:15am to make the 90 minute drive to the lowest point on earth and get in position for the first colors reflecting on the oily water.

The long windy roads and stars-galore night sky is a sight to see. And the sunrise? Worth how every ounce of sleep deprivation.

Here are a couple of iPhone snaps. I managed to grab some photos with each of my SWC (38mm) and 80mm and 250mm and used Provia 100F, Velvia 50 and Ektar.

Hard work for a lazy vacationer!!

I look forward to being able to shares some scans in the next month or so...

This is my 503cw and 250mm ready for some close up portraits of the salt formations...

attachicon.gifIMG_3256.JPG

Funny story on this one:  I had my camera ready to capture this scene about 10 minutes earlier when the colors were much deeper but of course we are only as strong as our weakest link and my weakest link was my phone which I left in my car about 2 minutes away, which I needed for the stopwatch.  I ran had back to the car to fetch my phone and when I returned I still had some nice colors but an elderly (and very religious) couple were poised to make use of this structure to watch the sunrise.  The man asked me to take a photo of him and his wife with his phone and I had to decline b/c I was too busy composing, leveling, exposing, ND grad filtering, etc, and I left myself with zero time to waste.  I think this pissed off his wife b/c just as I was taking my second exposure she started walking into my scene and I had to beg her to just wait 8 more seconds!!!  What a bitch!!!  So I then lost my scene and had to run to find another structure about a minute away.  I did not budget the exhaustion so early in my day!!

attachicon.gifIMG_3257.JPG

Thanks a lot Adam. Love the story of your rather frustrating but well-intentioned early morning. Who needs an iPhone to count seconds anyway - "one cat and dog, two cat and dog..." - served me very well all those years in the darkroom. Even when I had a timer I found my counting more reliable, even over a few minutes (OK it got a bit tedious after about three minutes!).

• Like 3

An excellent set of images. They tempt me to try out XP2 again.

Traveling.  

Leica M6 TTL Ilford XP2

"Beginning of a long walk"

"End of a long walk"

"Preferred means of travel"

The setting, the poses and the light leave one pondering about the scene.

attachicon.gif2017-08-16-0004.jpg

m6 1.4/35 portra400

Rgds

Joachim

Well, they do say that one has suffer for ones art, Adam!  ;)

I'm still here in scorching Israel and have been shooting mostly with my Hasselblads, the SWC and 503CW as well as my 80 planar and 250 superachromat, as well as with my 16mm tube (which I finally got the hang of!) and Mutar 2X teleconverter (which has come in handy for some tightly framed scenes that I had been wanted to capture)
Whew - that's a mouthful, and I didn't even mention the M3 and 50 DR cron that I've been shooting mostly family snaps with (my M-A and 28mm have been mostly sitting idle...)!

I trekked to the Dead Sea the past two mornings for the sunrise. Woke at 3:15am to make the 90 minute drive to the lowest point on earth and get in position for the first colors reflecting on the oily water.

The long windy roads and stars-galore night sky is a sight to see. And the sunrise? Worth how every ounce of sleep deprivation.

Here are a couple of iPhone snaps. I managed to grab some photos with each of my SWC (38mm) and 80mm and 250mm and used Provia 100F, Velvia 50 and Ektar.

Hard work for a lazy vacationer!!

I look forward to being able to shares some scans in the next month or so...

This is my 503cw and 250mm ready for some close up portraits of the salt formations...

attachicon.gifIMG_3256.JPG

Funny story on this one:  I had my camera ready to capture this scene about 10 minutes earlier when the colors were much deeper but of course we are only as strong as our weakest link and my weakest link was my phone which I left in my car about 2 minutes away, which I needed for the stopwatch.  I ran had back to the car to fetch my phone and when I returned I still had some nice colors but an elderly (and very religious) couple were poised to make use of this structure to watch the sunrise.  The man asked me to take a photo of him and his wife with his phone and I had to decline b/c I was too busy composing, leveling, exposing, ND grad filtering, etc, and I left myself with zero time to waste.  I think this pissed off his wife b/c just as I was taking my second exposure she started walking into my scene and I had to beg her to just wait 8 more seconds!!!  What a bitch!!!  So I then lost my scene and had to run to find another structure about a minute away.  I did not budget the exhaustion so early in my day!!

attachicon.gifIMG_3257.JPG

• Like 1

Very nice shots you posted, esp this one.

3650896320_cd2b3db545_b.jpg

Leica M7 I Summicron-M 2/50 / Tmax100 - Diafine

Lovely Ian. That is pretty impressive for a butterfly.

A Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui), one of the world's most widespread butterflies, but nonetheless a remarkable insect capable of flying more than a 100 miles in a day. Portra 400 and 90 Macro Elmar-M.

36535859026_6ed9f65185_b.jpg

Hi Pritam welcome back! I like this one. Looking forward to more.

Smokers' niche

Taken on a short visit to Chandigarh, India, in May 2016. M6 with a 28mm lens.

attachicon.gifSmokers' niche.jpg

• Like 6

Patchwork quilt countryside - an early morning view looking east up Pewsey Vale.  MP, 35mm Summaron f2.8, Portra 160 (Canadian Film Lab).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

5228561725_8dc8f7cdb0_b.jpg

Nikon F100 - Nikkor 28-105 - Tmax400 @ Tmax Dev.

Simply, boyhood. Excellent. Thanks. They are somewhat rare, those photographs illustrating that some things, such as being a boy, remain the same despite a changing world. I think this is one of those photographs. It makes me think of the preciousness of time.......think that I need to convey it, once again, to my son and daughters.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 4

Another sheep themed landscape for Henry from the western coast of the Isle of Wight. Portra 400 and 28 Summaron-M.

36229643490_94a6e73abf_b.jpg

Sublime landscape Ian  with superb color

I hope you stay in color not to abandon

Your landscapes are great

Thank you for your thought Ian..and for sheeps I love them

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

From "Living Like This"

Mosque and Maddrassa  Bradford, Yorkshire UK.     Day of Ashura is also in Bradford UK.

All on a pair of Leica M6's (one with Leica Winder) with 28mm Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, 50mm Summicron, 90mm Summicron lenses.

As always film is Kodak TRI-X developed in D76 1+1 or if pushed D76 Stock.

The men self flagellate with sharp knives on chains, as a penance and respect for Hussain, grandson of the prophet Mohammed.

Paul , pictures with great realism ... religion and people are now narrowly bound specially islam.

Thank you for posting

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Thanks, Phil.  Perhaps with C41 film I would trust my cadence, but not with slide film and on a couple of hours sleep  :)

Thanks a lot Adam. Love the story of your rather frustrating but well-intentioned early morning. Who needs an iPhone to count seconds anyway - "one cat and dog, two cat and dog..." - served me very well all those years in the darkroom. Even when I had a timer I found my counting more reliable, even over a few minutes (OK it got a bit tedious after about three minutes!).

Thanks, Keith.  We shall see!

An excellent set of images. They tempt me to try out XP2 again.

The setting, the poses and the light leave one pondering about the scene.

Well, they do say that one has suffer for ones art, Adam!   ;)

Lovely, Ian.  The colors are great and I like how the cliff protrudes out.  It has a 3D fee to it.

Another sheep themed landscape for Henry from the western coast of the Isle of Wight. Portra 400 and 28 Summaron-M.

36229643490_94a6e73abf_b.jpg

More fantastically insightful reportage, Paul.  I especially like the one of the ladies, as there is something particular intimate about it.

From "Living Like This"

Mosque and Maddrassa  Bradford, Yorkshire UK.     Day of Ashura is also in Bradford UK.

All on a pair of Leica M6's (one with Leica Winder) with 28mm Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, 50mm Summicron, 90mm Summicron lenses.

The women wear black as a mark of respect - Ashura in Bradford.

From "Living Like This"

The men beat their chests as a penance and respect for Hussain, grandson of the prophet Mohammed.

• Like 3

Simply, boyhood. Excellent. Thanks. They are somewhat rare, those photographs illustrating that some things, such as being a boy, remain the same despite a changing world. I think this is one of those photographs. It makes me think of the preciousness of time.......think that I need to convey it, once again, to my son and daughters.

I agree with Wayne

Picture showing great expression of these boys and girl specially the boy in the middle

Well done Artisan

Best

Henry

• Like 1

From "Living Like This"

Immaculately groomed and in his best outfit - worshipper at the mosque.

Great portrait Paul . Well captured

Henry

Thank you Wayne ... and, of course, Doc Henry ;)

With Kodachrome 64 + Leicaflex SL (1970)+ Elmarit 135

you can have this kind of picture :)

No correction needed too

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

• Like 13