I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The haircut

• Like 10

The buzz...
  • Like 11

Back home.  These are all looking a little more soft than they really are.

• Like 12

R9, Summicron-R 50/2, XP2, HC-110, X1 scan:

36420107866_0d965f3e90_c.jpg

Grape vines by chrism229, on Flickr

A small existential crisis here. Fewer and fewer of my photos here are taken with a Leica M, and I've sold my MPs, M7s and digital Ms. All I'm left with is an M2. It seems I prefer the SLR way of taking photographs, but I do love the results from my Leica lenses. So I've done the obvious thing, and invested in a Leica SLR, being lucky enough to find an R9 at a reasonable price. I bought four lenses to go along with it, an Elmarit-R 28, Summicron-R 50, Summicron-R 90 and a Vario-Elmar-R 80-200. My first Elmarit-R 28 had been modified for a Canon EF adaptor, and turned out to have had its R-cam removed, so it's going back to New Zealand. The second example works fine. What's the crisis? Well, this camera is really quite hard to focus. The pseudo-split image is OK when it doesn't black out in one half or the other, but the collar of microprisms are nearly worthless. Wearing glasses it is nearly impossible to focus. Without them, and having adjusted the viewfinder's optical correction for my very mild right eye myopia I can make some sense of the microprisms. I don't really like the fake split-image devices on SLR focusing screens, but I'm going to have to use it if I'm going to keep this. The second issue is that the ergonomics of the R9 body aren't suiting me. It's not safe to carry the camera in the right hand by the grip alone - it's neither big enough for my palm, nor deep enough to hold with my fingers in a pincer grip. I probably ought not to say this on this forum, but I'm missing the F6 when I use this lumpenkamera, as I can simply get on and make the photo with my F6s and don't have to struggle against the camera. I do the composition and envisage the result in terms of aperture and shutter speed, they do the rest. And the Olympus OMs? They can't quite be trusted to get the metering perfect, but they excite me when I use them, just as Leica Ms used to do - mechanical and ergonomic perfection. I do the work, they get the picture.

The 28mm lens came today and a roll of Superia 400 taken with it is drying. I can focus this lens OK without glasses (and it isn't really like a 28mm lens requires a lot of care - many photos were taken at f16 using the hyperfocal method). The 50mm is a bit of a struggle, but the photos I've posted show it can be done. The 90mm hasn't turned up yet, and if it is as heavy as the Summicron-M 90s I've owned I can foresee another problem - the blasted camera doesn't have enough meat on it for me to hold it still enough to even focus with the 80-200mm lens on it, so that's an issue likely to be worse with the Summicron-R 90.

I want to like it. I know the R lenses are capable of so much more than my Nikon and Zuiko lenses. I'll put a few more rolls through it, especially once the 90mm comes, as I have to be able to focus on eyes. At present I'm feeling about 70:30 towards getting rid of it all. I'll get maybe 60% of the cost back by passing it on to Jean at Camtec in Montreal, and If I'm sending him them I may as well send him the M2 and remaining 35, 50 and 90 lenses. I'll give it an honest chance—as I said—I really do want to like it. At this stage, the lenses are the only thing that can save this camera and lenses from being dumped. And I'm fully aware, just as all of you are, that a good photograph doesn't depend on an exquisitely designed lens, but on composition, timing and chance. Everything else is technicalities. I hope I don't get thrown off the forum when my last working Leica is sold. (I still have a Digilux 2 with the sensor problem, and Pippa has all sorts of PanaLeicas that I have bought for her.)

Chris

PS: Henry, the white spots are from debris in town water after a rainstorm. Not over-rotation from the Rondinax.

• Like 14

I like film :)

want to share with you this link , MA has a Leica MP , mainly SP in Sydney

take time to compose , to frame , not in the hurry

Good guy...inspires me

Henry

Thank you for sharing, Henry. Great video ...

One question .... Do you know, which lens he use on his MP?

Thank you in advance...

Best

Gregor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The little ponny...

Hasselblad 500cm, Ektar100, Epson V700

• Like 14

I like film 2 and 3 :)

Hope it inspires you  Andre Wagner shoots film with Leica MP ... still uses typewriter :D

no PC.  Wonderful photographer 

Henry

I did enjoy those, thank you. But it looks like he shoots with the M6. That reminds me. I want to get an old typewriter. I have been wanting one for a while now. My grandpa worked for Smith Corona.

Edit: never mind, I saw the1st video last (Anderson) and see he use an MP and a 503!!

Edited by gnuyork
  • Like 2

I like film :)

want to share with you this link , MA has a Leica MP , mainly SP in Sydney

take time to compose , to frame , not in the hurry

Good guy...inspires me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgB5fxYjZXE

Henry

He's one cool dude, Marcus Andrson, "I just shoot" he says, but he understates the situation as really has a good eye for for a street scene. Doesn't that 'blad make a lovely noise. :)
  • Like 1

Is that the one with the protracting hood? That's the one i have and it's a sharp lens.

Yes - it has a protracting hood. But I don't know how many versions of the Summicron 50 there were and if it is the only one with a protracting hood.

According to the wiki it should be No. IV. But the version before is there also numbered with IV, so this may be wrong (https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.de/index.php/LEICA_M-Objektive#50mm_f.2F2_Summicron-M_IV).

And even from the Summicron there are 5 or 6 version, so I expect there should be more from the 50 Summicron.

Maybe someone can enlighten us with the correct number.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing, Henry. Great video ...

One question .... Do you know, which lens he use on his MP?

Thank you in advance...

Best

Gregor

Gregor I think it's a 50  (look at 2 mn16) , may be summilux with the hood (I have the same)

Best

Henry

The second and third link  of A Wagner posted above are also great .

• Like 2

I did enjoy those, thank you. But it looks like he shoots with the M6. That reminds me. I want to get an old typewriter. I have been wanting one for a while now. My grandpa worked for Smith Corona.

I have one typewriter too GN ... :)

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Man this thread moooooves :D Love it.

This one made me look twice Wayne. I really like how you've separated out the plant (thistle?) from the bright background. Very cool.

Dying mall.

Where we shopped.

35601638654_2d92dfae42_b.jpgimg575 by W P_, on Flickr

Plaubel Roll-Op Folder 4.5x6, Portra 400

I enjoyed this series of nicely lined up verticals and horizontals. Very well spotted, Klaus.

M4, Summicron 2/50 Rigid, Tmax 400

attachicon.gifM4_MUC_Aug17_14.jpg

Welcome also from me, Tiberius. If you have queries about scanning don't hesitate to post them here. 

br

Philip

Dear all,

I just discovered this thread thanks to my friend "Doc Henry". What a lot of beautiful photos !

I use a Leica M6 TTL since 3 years after using a Leica R5 during 5 years). As I also use a Leica M8 and a Leica Q, I don't shoot a lot with my analogue camera (I am ashamed but I only used about 5 or 6 rolls during the 3 last years).

I love my Leica M6 TTL but I meet difficulties for the scan and the post traitment. But Heny encourages me to persevere and when I see all the your images I think he is right !

Very nice use of darkness here Klaus.

Contax RTS II, Planar 50/1.4, Macro-Spacer, Sensia 100

Sold this Camera, as I didn´t want to invest in a cmplete new system.

But it had a great finder and was a joy to use.

attachicon.gifBlüte_2_ContaxRTSII_kl.jpg

This is niiiice, very well seen indeed.

attachicon.gif05B15-31.jpg

M6, 35CronASPH1, CHS 50

I like this one and the one before, Christoph. Looks like something John Bauer would have painted.

In the woods near the Santuario Della Verna.

attachicon.gif170503_1_M5_0025.jpg

M5, 40, Color Implosion, ns

Rgds

C.

Very nice picture of a budding bonsai master.

Rolleiflex T

Agfa 100RS

Epson 4870

Gary

I like it when the thread heats up a bit ;) Delightful.

Nikon F5, Nikkor 70-180, Film.... probably Tmax 400 ;-)

attachicon.gifHand und Bauch_kl.jpg

Hi Ian, I've also gone through periods like what you're describing and, well, it's frustrating. It seems, to me, that there are two schools of thought regarding how to overcome this, perseverance and idleness. Put another way, one can follow the dictate of "when going through Hell, keep going" (then again there's that other saying that "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity"...) or, which I have found more helpful, one can take the idle approach. I highly recommend Tom Hodgkinson's book How to be idle and in it he observes that “Long periods of languor, indolence and staring at the ceiling are needed by any creative person in order to develop ideas.” This is what I usually do (though I realise as a happy amateur I have the 'luxury' of not photographing), just leave the camera(s...) on a shelf and instead walk around not looking for things to photograph. After a while, and it can really take quite a while, I usually start noticing things that could be interesting to photograph. Eventually, this will turn into a desire to photograph. And then I'm again stuck with a massive pile of negative sheets which need to be scanned  :rolleyes:  

I haven't posted for a while (and it's hard to keep up with the thread). If I'm honest, I'm at a crossroads regarding photography – I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it for the right reasons and I haven't recently taken any photographs that come close to realising what I had intended. However, here's a couple to keep in the thread.

Uh-oh, new toy alert :D

R9, 50/2, XP2, HC-110, X1 scan:

36465820215_0911d3121c_c.jpg

Lillies by chrism229, on Flickr

• Like 7

Gregor I think it's a 50  (look at 2 mn16) , may be summilux with the hood (I have the same)

Best

Henry

The second and third link  of A Wagner posted above are also great .

It was 2.8 lens, so I don't think it was a Summilux. And it's a 28mm. Elmarit maybe?

Edited by gnuyork
  • Like 2

R9, Summicron-R 50/2, XP2, HC-110, X1 scan:

36420107866_0d965f3e90_c.jpg

Grape vines by chrism229, on Flickr

A small existential crisis here. Fewer and fewer of my photos here are taken with a Leica M, and I've sold my MPs, M7s and digital Ms. All I'm left with is an M2. It seems I prefer the SLR way of taking photographs, but I do love the results from my Leica lenses. So I've done the obvious thing, and invested in a Leica SLR, being lucky enough to find an R9 at a reasonable price. I bought four lenses to go along with it, an Elmarit-R 28, Summicron-R 50, Summicron-R 90 and a Vario-Elmar-R 80-200. My first Elmarit-R 28 had been modified for a Canon EF adaptor, and turned out to have had its R-cam removed, so it's going back to New Zealand. The second example works fine. What's the crisis? Well, this camera is really quite hard to focus. The pseudo-split image is OK when it doesn't black out in one half or the other, but the collar of microprisms are nearly worthless. Wearing glasses it is nearly impossible to focus. Without them, and having adjusted the viewfinder's optical correction for my very mild right eye myopia I can make some sense of the microprisms. I don't really like the fake split-image devices on SLR focusing screens, but I'm going to have to use it if I'm going to keep this. The second issue is that the ergonomics of the R9 body aren't suiting me. It's not safe to carry the camera in the right hand by the grip alone - it's neither big enough for my palm, nor deep enough to hold with my fingers in a pincer grip. I probably ought not to say this on this forum, but I'm missing the F6 when I use this lumpenkamera, as I can simply get on and make the photo with my F6s and don't have to struggle against the camera. I do the composition and envisage the result in terms of aperture and shutter speed, they do the rest. And the Olympus OMs? They can't quite be trusted to get the metering perfect, but they excite me when I use them, just as Leica Ms used to do - mechanical and ergonomic perfection. I do the work, they get the picture.

The 28mm lens came today and a roll of Superia 400 taken with it is drying. I can focus this lens OK without glasses (and it isn't really like a 28mm lens requires a lot of care - many photos were taken at f16 using the hyperfocal method). The 50mm is a bit of a struggle, but the photos I've posted show it can be done. The 90mm hasn't turned up yet, and if it is as heavy as the Summicron-M 90s I've owned I can foresee another problem - the blasted camera doesn't have enough meat on it for me to hold it still enough to even focus with the 80-200mm lens on it, so that's an issue likely to be worse with the Summicron-R 90.

I want to like it. I know the R lenses are capable of so much more than my Nikon and Zuiko lenses. I'll put a few more rolls through it, especially once the 90mm comes, as I have to be able to focus on eyes. At present I'm feeling about 70:30 towards getting rid of it all. I'll get maybe 60% of the cost back by passing it on to Jean at Camtec in Montreal, and If I'm sending him them I may as well send him the M2 and remaining 35, 50 and 90 lenses. I'll give it an honest chance—as I said—I really do want to like it. At this stage, the lenses are the only thing that can save this camera and lenses from being dumped. And I'm fully aware, just as all of you are, that a good photograph doesn't depend on an exquisitely designed lens, but on composition, timing and chance. Everything else is technicalities. I hope I don't get thrown off the forum when my last working Leica is sold. (I still have a Digilux 2 with the sensor problem, and Pippa has all sorts of PanaLeicas that I have bought for her.)

Chris

PS: Henry, the white spots are from debris in town water after a rainstorm. Not over-rotation from the Rondinax.

Chris , the picture you show above is superb :) Nice contre-jour Chris and nice black

and grey tone

... and you're right for the R9 , but the noise of  the shutter is very silent among other Leica

SLR like my Leicaflex SL but a bit silent ... and I like much I had a R8 but now sold prefer

keep M ....

The grip of R9 is fine for me , but it depends on lens mounted... your Vario 80-200 is a bit heavy

Finally I think R9 is a great camera ,  the last Leica made ... I have also microprisms in the Leicaflex

It's a habit you'll take in shooting with microprisms for focus  , but I think you will like .... when using most of the

time. I prefer R9 than Nikon , because it' Leica , with fabulous R lens like your Summicron 50 , good definition

good contrast and for macrophotos it's well adapted  :)

Congrats for your acquisition Chris

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry