I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you both for your kind words. I wasn't intending to sound dramatic nor am I planning to pass into the dark side (as Henry put it :D ). I've just been pondering some recent photographs and thinking that I have been shooting too much on 'auto-pilot' – taking a lot of photographs without thinking about why I am doing so. There have also been a number of rolls that I have been dissatisfied with – both stuff that hasn't really worked out the way I had hoped (which is fine because that's how we learn) but also some poor choices of subject and light, etc. I also think I might have shot too much colour film. My "crossroads" is really just about changes to my photographic approach: shoot more black and white, possibly go back to 35mm as my primary focal length. Nothing major like buying an M10. :D

Ian , I am glad that you have not go on "dark side" :D

For your photographic approach , I agree and I am glad you have not  the "shutter syndrome"

syndrome of digital man :D

Me too I shoot less than before with digital and I am happy now to understand the value of each

photo , so I also slow down .

Finally nothing grave !

Thank you for your reply  Ian

Best

Henry  

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Thank you both for your kind words. I wasn't intending to sound dramatic nor am I planning to pass into the dark side (as Henry put it :D ). I've just been pondering some recent photographs and thinking that I have been shooting too much on 'auto-pilot' – taking a lot of photographs without thinking about why I am doing so. There have also been a number of rolls that I have been dissatisfied with – both stuff that hasn't really worked out the way I had hoped (which is fine because that's how we learn) but also some poor choices of subject and light, etc. I also think I might have shot too much colour film. My "crossroads" is really just about changes to my photographic approach: shoot more black and white, possibly go back to 35mm as my primary focal length. Nothing major like buying an M10. :D

Indeed - we all benefit at times from stepping back and reviewing our motivations and methods.   

I might have a photo or two taken there (Honey Street Café?) on one of the rolls I currently have at the lab. :D

Yup - the garden of the Tea Room at Honeystreet.

• Like 1

I have recently started reading Camera and Lens (purchased 40 years ago, when I was 14 or 15) by Ansel Adams. The first thing Mr. Adams states- that struck me- was that you have to take time to figure out why you are shooting a photograph. Saying it is sure easier than doing it. I guess, if a person took it to heart, they could find themselves considering a scene for quite a while before taking even one photograph. I will sure be interested in seeing your results.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 4

Hi folks, it's been a while since I've posted.  In the meantime, I've been enjoying all the amazing photos in this thread!  

Since it's summer, I've decided to shoot some colour film in my M6.  This was taken with the 50mm Summicron-M.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Perhaps I'm asking too much of the 35mm film format given the subject matter, but I feel my 50mm Summicron-M is not nearly as sharp as my 35mm Summicron-M ASPH. 

• Like 18

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Two more.  Same film stock - Kodak Porta 160 - and camera/lens. 

• Like 12

Perhaps I'm asking too much of the 35mm film format given the subject matter, but I feel my 50mm Summicron-M is not nearly as sharp as my 35mm Summicron-M ASPH. 

Hello,

which version of the Summicron 50 do you have? I have the last version before the APO and this is definitely sharper then my 35 mm Summicron ASPH1.

Regards

Frank

• Like 1

Testing my 60mm Distagon CB at min focus distance. Hasselblad 500C, Portra 160.

• Like 15

Hi folks, it's been a while since I've posted.  In the meantime, I've been enjoying all the amazing photos in this thread!  

Since it's summer, I've decided to shoot some colour film in my M6.  This was taken with the 50mm Summicron-M.  

attachicon.gifImg033.jpg

Two more.  Same film stock - Kodak Porta 160 - and camera/lens. 

attachicon.gifImg034.jpg

attachicon.gifImg035.jpg

Glad see you back and welcome Dmitch  :)

The color is superb and you're right to use your M6 with Kodak Portra.

Nice framing

For your Summicron 50 you have the date (1954,1956,1979) ? and your 35 Summicron (58,71,79,97)?

Thanks for posting

Best

Henry

Always a lot of beautiful pictures on this thread ! I am really impressed.

Célestine

24835192590_9b2d613332_c.jpg

M6 TTL 50 Summicron IV Kodak Ektar 100

Wow this red SUPERB !

23099856985_773b585de6_c.jpg

Leica R5 35/70 f:4 Kodak Portra 160 VC

... and the color of this picture is also great . Relief effect on my Eizo screen  :)

Tiberius , color is successfull for you . You must continue :)

Thank you for posting

Best

Henry