I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

When speaking about Henri Cartier Bresson , this is his anniversary death to-day 

If he is still living to-day , he has 95 years old  :)

One picture of this great man with his M camera

... the eyes of a master

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I love RF mechanical camera system

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 16

From my project "Living Like This"

Madrasa in Bradford West Yorkshire UK.

Leica MP with 28mm Elmarit.  Film is Kodak TRI-X in D76 stock.

Another great picture with a nice expression captured

...  so nice the grain of TX , inimitable and no equivalent , only found in film

Thank you Paul

Best

Henry

When speaking about Henri Cartier Bresson , this is his anniversary death to-day 

One picture of this great man with his M camera

... the eyes of a master

attachicon.gifHCBresson+++lf.jpg

I love RF mechanical camera system

Best

Henry

A true inspiration, thank you for the picture Henry. (I believe the camera is a IIIf or IIIg?).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

View through to Mt Wellington, Tasmania.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M3, Elmar 50mm red scale, Bergger Pancro 400 (film from France), Ilfotec HC, Pakon scan.

• Like 15

One more from the test roll put through my 'new' R5 last week.  60mm Macro Elmarit-R & Acros100.

After the rain-shower.

Keith - I was sufficiently moved by this image to check your link to “Emulsion Mania”.  Your photos of the English countryside are breathtaking.  

Then something caught my eye, and tugged at my memory - your reference to “The Ridgeway”.  

My wife and I love trekking the ancient trails: the Chemin du Puy from Le Puy en Valay to St Jean Pied de Port; the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela: the Camino del Norte from Bayonne/Irun to Santiago de Compostela and - the shortest but toughest of them all - the Pennine Way.  

We find it difficult to explain to our friends who adore cruises how magical it is to be out in the countryside of France, Spain and the UK in hail, rain, sunshine, and snow - and how we become truly spell bound while following these old paths.  

Then we came across that magnificent book “The Old Ways” by Robert Macfarlane.  I started to read it to Anne at night, so we could both enjoy it simultaneously.  And it was Macfarlane who first alerted us to The Ridgeway (and to the story of the father of that wonderful English photographer James Ravilious).  

What a coincidence to see you mention this place in the captions to your photographs.

This photo “after the rain shower” looks similar to a couple in your blog.  Is the track in your post the same as in the photos in the blog? but on the other side of the hill which we see with the copse on the left?  Anyway, thank you.  We would like to do The Ridgeway sometime.

Edited by Dan Ryan
  • Like 4

The more I look at this, Steve, the more I like it. What wonderful colour - so atmospheric! This, I think, enhances the sense of joy that pervades the whole image.

Thanks. This shot is I believe truly a film shot, color grain etc. It could be produced in digital but only with a lot of work on the computer. This is right out of the camera, as they say :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Religious meeting in a house in Bradford West Yorkshire UK.

Leica MP with 35mm Summicron.  Film is Kodak TRI-X pushed to ISO 3200 15 Minutes in D76 stock.

Paul, this image has a depth that is difficult to absorb in one viewing. It belongs to a genre that I aspire to.

You have my compliments on creating this image.

• Like 2

Dear Henry, I am with You in this difficult moment.

Jean-Marie

Henry, I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your mother. 

Sincères condoléances.

Charles

My sincere condolences to you Henry on the passing of your mother.

Thank you Jean-Mare, Charles and 105012 greatly appreciated

Always difficult moment and fortunately I still have some pictures in film of my mother

some dozen years ago for memories

Best

Henry

• Like 3

Doc Henry,

My thoughts are with you for many reasons, but principally for the loss of your mother. I too have been there and have some idea of your feelings.

All I can add is cherish the good time spent with her and honour her by practicing the good things of life she taught you.

• Like 5

Meat shop in Bradford West Yorkshire UK.

Leica MP  with 21mm Elmarit.  Film is Kodak TRI-X in D76 stock.

Last one for today - thank you for all who looked and commented- I do appreciate it!!

I know that my style of photography is not for everyone and even can be seen as depressing and I understand this. To me the Leica camera, that was born in the 1920's when photojournalism was still in it's infancy, blew all the "cobwebs" away and in the hands of the masters of the day made some of the century's most memorable and yes moving images. 

I try to emulate this with my Leicas because I want to make a statement through the lens of these beautiful cameras and without being silly I like to think of what  Phillip Jones Griffiths once said - "For every picture that I have ever taken I would have still been there but without any film in the camera"  To me the Leica is a an exquisite tool that transponds mere mechanics and lets you slip between the heartbeats to record the emotion of the scene before it's lens. Maybe OTT and it probably is but that is how I feel when I pick my Leicas up.

Great pictures and a good job Paul !

That's what Henri Cartier Bresson said about photography ,  when he used his M camera  :

"If there is no emotion, if there is no shock, if we do not react to the sensibility, we should not take a photo. It is the photo which takes us".

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Doc Henry,

My thoughts are with you for many reasons, but principally for the loss of your mother. I too have been there and have some idea of your feelings.

All I can add is cherish the good time spent with her and honour her by practicing the good things of life she taught you.

Sincerily , thank you John.

Best

Henry

Keith - I was sufficiently moved by this image to check your link to “Emulsion Mania”.  Your photos of the English countryside are breathtaking.  

Then something caught my eye, and tugged at my memory - your reference to “The Ridgeway”.  

My wife and I love trekking the ancient trails: the Chemin du Puy from Le Puy en Valay to St Jean Pied de Port; the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela: the Camino del Norte from Bayonne/Irun to Santiago de Compostela and - the shortest but toughest of them all - the Pennine Way.  

We find it difficult to explain to our friends who adore cruises how magical it is to be out in the countryside of France, Spain and the UK in hail, rain, sunshine, and snow - and how we become truly spell bound while following these old paths.  

Then we came across that magnificent book “The Old Ways” by Robert Macfarlane.  I started to read it to Anne at night, so we could both enjoy it simultaneously.  And it was Macfarlane who first alerted us to The Ridgeway (and to the story of the father of that wonderful English photographer James Ravilious).  

What a coincidence to see you mention this place in the captions to your photographs.

This photo “after the rain shower” looks similar to a couple in your blog.  Is the track in your post the same as in the photos in the blog? but on the other side of the hill which we see with the copse on the left?  Anyway, thank you.  We would like to do The Ridgeway sometime.

Thank you for this wonderfully evocative description Dan. As a consequence I've just ordered a copy of "The Old Ways" - can't wait to read it with my wife, dreaming of the day we'll get to do some of these walks.

• Like 1

Meat shop in Bradford West Yorkshire UK.

Leica MP  with 21mm Elmarit.  Film is Kodak TRI-X in D76 stock.

Last one for today - thank you for all who looked and commented- I do appreciate it!!

I know that my style of photography is not for everyone and even can be seen as depressing and I understand this. To me the Leica camera, that was born in the 1920's when photojournalism was still in it's infancy, blew all the "cobwebs" away and in the hands of the masters of the day made some of the century's most memorable and yes moving images. 

I try to emulate this with my Leicas because I want to make a statement through the lens of these beautiful cameras and without being silly I like to think of what  Phillip Jones Griffiths once said - "For every picture that I have ever taken I would have still been there but without any film in the camera"  To me the Leica is a an exquisite tool that transponds mere mechanics and lets you slip between the heartbeats to record the emotion of the scene before it's lens. Maybe OTT and it probably is but that is how I feel when I pick my Leicas up.

Very nice picture , nice black , nice grey , nice white , nice grain !

Superb contrast and definition . I like the look of the man

Thank you Paul for sharing

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry