Patton's Leica: A really NEGLECTED historic piece

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently visited the Patton Museum in Ft. Knox, KY - only to find, tucked away in the bottom of a display case, the very same Leica II (or whatever model it was) that Patton carried throughout WWII. His lenses were also there. The winding mechanisms were showing the green corrosion of neglect. I would have to say the significance of this beautiful black camera was lost on 99% of the people walking through the room - and 100% of the staff. This camera belongs in another museum - one that will take care of it and display it for what it really is - not a dejected castoff in the bottom of a case, lost amongst binoculars, clothing items and the other detritus of Patton's travel bags. I would like to start a petition drive - collect names to send to the museum and the Patton family to move this item to the Smithsonian where it belongs. Ironically the book that they were trying to sell at the museum store was - Patton's war photos! Who is with me here? Steve in Chicago

• 8 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there a camera museum in the US worthy of this object? The Museum at Miami University in Oxford, OH, is no longer open; I called this past summer and tried to get in. The Smithonian's collection (the largest in the US) is totally unavailable for anyone to see. What happened to Bingham's Leica's as the California Museum of Photography at U Cal Riverside? (Bingham founded the place as I understand it and left his Leica collection to the museum.) I have not been to George Eastman House in Rochester. Does anyone know of any decent camera museums in the US?

At the time of WWII a Leica was an enemy made camera, was there nothing at least

similar made in USA? What would general people say if they would find out their war

hero was using a German camera? This might be the reason to place it just somewhere...

Jo

At the time of WWII a Leica was an enemy made camera, was there nothing at least

similar made in USA? What would general people say if they would find out their war

hero was using a German camera? This might be the reason to place it just somewhere...

Jo

Can be an interesting point... but I suppose that the Patton Museum has been setup years after than Germany ceased to be an enemy for US.

BTW, there really was an US made camera someway comparable to Leica... the Kodak Ektra... but it was introduced in 1941... probably Patton was already on duty and hadn't time to shopping for one :)

Jo

I recall that the British Army photographic unit used Zeiss Ikon folders. There was nothing unusual in this, they just used the best equipment they could lay hands on. There was coverage of this in the recent series of "Whicker's War" - Whicker himself used one. I also recall (vaguely) that highly prized German photographic equipment (Zeiss, Leitz) was bought in neutral Switzerland and shipped out for Allied use.

Regards,

Bill

I recall that the British Army photographic unit used Zeiss Ikon folders. There was nothing unusual in this, they just used the best equipment they could lay hands on. There was coverage of this in the recent series of "Whicker's War" - Whicker himself used one. I also recall (vaguely) that highly prized German photographic equipment (Zeiss, Leitz) was bought in neutral Switzerland and shipped out for Allied use.

Regards,

Bill

I have seen old wartime magazine ads where the British government and the RAF requested that civillian photographers sell or loan their Leicas to the military. In theory, they were to be returned at the end of the war.

From Amazon.com: Patton's Photographs: War as He Saw It: Books: Kevin M. Hymel

"his Leica camera-standard issue for reporters and historians in the U.S. Army"

There is no way this camera will not stay in the Patton Museum nor does it belong anywhere else. It is not a symbol of Leitz memorabilia but a tool of the man who used it as cameras are supposed to be.-Dick

Here is a photograph of Patton's Leica. Shot on Tri-X with M6 + 50mm Summicron, available light. Shot wide open with a dead slow shutter speed, handheld. The light was very bad. Regrets for the poor quality but you can get an eyeball on the item. If you ever get down there take a flash. They encourage photography in the museum but not elsewhere on post.

I was posted to Ft. Knox in 1971 & got back in 2004. I reckon the camera has been laying in the display case all that time. There are many more personal artifacts including his ivory-handled pistols, gunbelt & holsters, many of his decorations, the automobile in which he suffered his fatal accident, the truck that served as rolling HQ in the drive across France, elements from his participation in the Olympic Games (modern pentathlon if I recall correctly), much more. Some of the personal stuff is family-owned & loaned to the museum.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Here is another photograph of Patton's Leica.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Not wishing at all to detract from Steve's original post, but it seems to me that the issue here is not so much where Patton's Leica is displayed, as the state that it is in.

Instead of trying to get it moved to another museum, why don't we, the members of this Forum, club together to get it restored? There are some fine restorers in the US, I understand, who I am sure would be happy to work on this historic camera.

We would need to make contact with the curators of the museum - perhaps a US-based member can do that? Then we would need to gather the funds - say a pledge of ten dollars per interested member. I don't know how much a full CLA would cost in the US, but that too can be established without too much difficulty, surely?

In return, a simple plaque or note listing the names of the Leica Forum members who have contributed to the camera's restoration, displayed separately alongside the display case itself would surely not be too much to ask?

I would happily donate ten dollars to this worthy cause.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Bill

• 3 months later...
I have seen old wartime magazine ads where the British government and the RAF requested that civillian photographers sell or loan their Leicas to the military. In theory, they were to be returned at the end of the war.

When I was a student I worked part time in a well known London camera shop. The manager, who had worked in an allied photographic unit (at times behind enemy lines in Italy), told me that all the 'quality' German cameras that the shop had in stock had been requisitioned at the begining of the war for use by the British military. This included equipment by both Leica and Zeiss from what I remember.

@steve:

Do you think the green corrosion has developed after the war- or is it a trace of Patton using his Leica in all kinds of weather? In the second case, I would consider it as patina and leave the camera as it is... but certainly in a better display.

Regards

Stefan