Best non-Leica camera for Leica lenses

Appmax

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you favor traditional ergonomics and Leica lenses compatibility over modern sensor performances, I'd also recommend going for an M8 or M8.2.

I used M lenses on a NEX, Lumix G3 and Ricoh GXR but did not keep any of them very long, always returning to my thrusty M8 (now moved on to M9). I never really liked the ergonomics or focus peaking, much prefering a rangefinder/viewfinder with manual focus lenses. The M8 only has a 1,33 crop factor, which plays a role as well.

Today I have a Nikon V1 to complement my M and have no intention to buy the M adapter (the 2.7 crop does not help of course). And if I had to buy another hybrid, it would probably be either the NEX-6 with the Sigma 19 and 30 lenses, or the Fuji XE-1 with the 18 and 35 lenses, but not to use M lenses.

Well its now that I want to buy a camera, many of the lenses I am comparing are ones I own, and some are current production. I would have been happy to buy a 25mm Summilux if the rest of the system had been up to it, but I haven't the funds to go out and buy things just to try them, but go by others who make it their business to test things objectively. Its no use pretending that the 14mm and 17mm are much good, I haven't found any test that thinks so, and I also have never seen a test or opinion that suggests that the later m4/3 cameras are any better with M lenses than the G1 was.

The build quality of the D7000 is miles ahead of the G1, although I haven't seen the OM 'in the flesh' but my sons and my sister all own m4/3 Panasonics of various types some newer.

No reason why we can't aim for the best of both old and new worlds, lenses of good optical quality, built well enough to keep that performance over a good long while, and are pleasant to use. Thats why we like Leica, no?

Gerry

By the way, on the NEX-6, if you're shooting wide with its kit 16-50 lens, you'll get black corner vignetting in the RAW files. It fixes the jpegs in camera, and when you turn on lens correction in Adobe Camera RAW it fixes the RAW files, but it makes me think it wouldn't be able to handle anything wider than 16mm.

Then again, M lenses are FF, so it might have a bigger image circle. I don't know.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will get the Olympus E-P5. IF the M is ever available, the E-P5 would still me a good camera - especially for telephoto work. I have the 135 APO. on the Olympus, that is a 270mm IS lens!

I am also thinking about getting the RX-1 (even though I just bought a 35mm Sumillux). I could use that as a great walk around kit.

Together, I would have:

- 35MM (RX-1)

- 70 mm f1.4 IS (Summilux on E-P5)

- 100 mm f0.95 IS (Noctilux on E-P5)

- 180mm f2 IS (Summicron on E-P5)

- 270 mm f3.4 (APO on E-P5)

If I buy the Olympus 12mm, I will have a wide angle and can sell my Wate.

Kind of a crazy set-up but it might work well - especially compared to the set-up I have now (with no M camera).

...I made the mistake of selling my M9 in January because I figured the new M would be delivered on-schedule in late winter...

In the southern hemisphere it is still only early winter! :D

Steve Huff has some more comparisons you might like to check out: Mirrorless Central - My reviews of all Mirrorless Cameras | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Hi David

Great flickr photos - I

I had an M240 on order and have kept my M9 in the mean time.

With all the difficulties Leica is having with the M240 decided to go for an MM and look at the M240 in a years time.

I am really enjoying the MM currently and giving the mothership time to get the product up to scratch.

Just my .2c .

Ross in Perth