Leica M9 with wireless flash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone use wireless flash system with the Leica M9 such as PocketWizard of other? If yes, what brand and type of flash do you use with it? Are there any limitations? For me, TTL is not so much a limitation as manual mode is ok (using light meter).

Any other things to think about?

• Like 1

I have started using mine with the Elinchrom Skyport system, I have BXRi500 and Dlite 4 flash units. With their Skyport system you can control individual units or in groups and even adjust the output remotely. For the current units the receiver is inbuilt.

It is perfectly reliable. Just set to the flash synch speed. Although I have a flash meter, I am finding that simply test shooting and reviewing the histogram works fine to establish the shooting aperture. Once you have that where you want it you don't need to change anything at all except focus of course. Tethering to a laptop would be better again.

C513 photo - Geoff Hopkinson photos at pbase.com

C437 photo - Geoff Hopkinson photos at pbase.com

• Like 2

I use a Yongnuo RF-601 in the studio and some Yongnuo RF-602s for normal flash. I've also used the included adapters and used an RF-602 in the studio. It has to be the Nikon version of the transmitter or it won't work reliably - I think the Canon version shorts in the Leica and the transmitter blinks nervously.

The only problem is that I have to keep the sync speed one notch slower than the max sync speed or there will be risk of catching a shutter blade in the image using studio lighting. I have found this to be the case with all digital cameras I've used them with (Leica M9 and Canon DSLRs).

The Yongnuo RF-603 should also work, but they will not work with a 601 or 602 which are interchangable. The RF-603 gained some features, but lost others and for my needs the 601/602 setup is perfect.

More expensive controls may let you control Canon & Nikon dedicated flashes remotely. With Yongnuo RF systems, they are set manually.

Someone else wrote about this earlier in the forum here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/179382-off-camera-flash-m9.html

• Like 1

I use a set of a radio trigger and two receivers which I bought on a lark for $30:

NPT-04+EXTRA RECEIVER

Works fine. Manual only (no TTL). Small enough to fit in a bag for location/travel.

The build quality does not look like it will last for years, but it's a nice cheap introduction to see if the technology will help your shooting.

• Like 1

I use Nikon SB28s with pocket wizards. No problems in manual mode. The great thing is that as you only want manual mode, you can get some high quality, powerful, simply controlled speed lights on the second hand market at low cost. I picked SB28s (from ebay) because they are all that and compact as well, but there should be other brands just as good. I don't use a meter - chimping, old fashioned calculation using the GN, and using the Nikon's built in calculator all work well.

Edit: the Nikon version of the PWs fits the M9 hotshoe correctly - I can't answer for the canon version. In manual mode, I believe there is no need to stick to Nikon speed lights - as long as it has a basic manual firing pin, then any speed light should work.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use Paul Buff's uber controller and along with a couple of Einstiens. The trigger/controller has a builtin light meter, and it always for quick, easy and reliable control over every function of the Einsteins. There's no TTL, so the ratios, etc have to be set manually. The controller has a cold shoe and since the M9 doesn't have a sync port, the use of a simple (cheap) adapter is required.

Edited by CaptZoom
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First things first.

Be carefull when using older flashtypes (portable or studio) that work with higher ignition voltages when connecting them to moderrn digital cameras such as the Leica M-9. Using wireless connections such as a flash slave, IR or Radiowaves is an elegant precaution to avoid miseries. A limit of 5 to 6 six volts has been agreed upon by most manufacturers. Where tensions could go up to as much 90 volt DC. For some digital cameras a tension of 25 VDC is an absolute limit that could otherwise kill your camera.

I have a good experience with the (more modern) Elinchrom D-lite sets 200 & 500 etc. They come with an internal flash slave and compatible RF receiver (4 coded channels) etc.

Plus a separate (tiny) El -Skyport Eco Transmitter that comes with a small battery reloader.

And a separate El- Skyport Elinchrom compatible RF receiver (4 identical coded channels).

Both transmitter and receiver also work beautifully with most studio, prof portable and smaller flash units such as those of the Metz family.

Other brands should also work the same way. I even made some special connectors to use this system with my Hasselblad 500 ELM and R-8 and R-9 cameras equipped with a winder. Works beautifully.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am not sure if this information is still relevant as your original post was dated May 2013.

I have been using the YongNuo wireles flash trigger for several years now - first for my Canon 5D and then added another set for the M9.

As mentioned by others, you must opt for a Nikon fit trigger as the M9 will not work with a Canon fit trigger.

I bought the RF-602/N for my M9 and you can purchase additional receivers if you wish to work with more than one flash.

Occasionally I use two flash with shoot through umbrellas and light-stands.

In my opinion, the YongNuo brand is quite inexpensive. For hobbyist like myself, it serves as a very cost-effective entry for off camera flash photography.

YongNuo wireless flash triggers are easily available via the internet.

Hope you have lots of fun with off camera flash photography, regardless of brand.

BTW I receive no financial gain or whatsoever from YongNuo; just an enthusiast sharing my two cents worth. :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Im using it with a M240, and not an M9

I have a set of Canon Speedlights, and a set of Canon mount Pocketwizard TT5 and TT1 (from when i used to own a Canon DSLR)

the TT1 fits the hotshoe nicely, and isnt overly large, and works fine, although i am not a huge fan of having to walk over to the units to adjust power (i am spoiled by the work issued Canon ST-E3RT/600EX system, all controlled by the ST-E3 on top of the camera)

i have used the M with work's studio setup too - Elinchrom monoblocks with their remote system

it has worked pretty well too.

will take some pictures of the PW/Canon system i have at home for you

Im using it with a M240, and not an M9

I have a set of Canon Speedlights, and a set of Canon mount Pocketwizard TT5 and TT1 (from when i used to own a Canon DSLR)

the TT1 fits the hotshoe nicely, and isnt overly large, and works fine, although i am not a huge fan of having to walk over to the units to adjust power (i am spoiled by the work issued Canon ST-E3RT/600EX system, all controlled by the ST-E3 on top of the camera)

i have used the M with work's studio setup too - Elinchrom monoblocks with their remote system

it has worked pretty well too.

will take some pictures of the PW/Canon system i have at home for you

and here is the pictures, as promised (sorry for the average quality iPhone pic)

M240 and 50mm Summarit

2x Pocketwizard Flex TT5 transceiver (set to "dumb" trigger mode)

2x Canon Speedlight, set in manual mode

1x Pocketwizard Mini TT1 transmitter (set to "dumb" trigger mode)

1x Minolta Lightmeter (to set speed lights appropriately - you can use the Shoot, Chimp, Adjust method too)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

....... For hobbyist like myself, it serves as a very cost-effective entry for off camera flash photography.

YongNuo wireless flash triggers are easily available via the internet......

I have no need of TTL flash control and sometimes use cheap Chinese-made radio triggers bought from Ebay for fixed studio lighting at events and ocf for environmental portraits. The last set I bought cost £16 for the 4-channel transmitter and two receivers. I have no idea what the manufacturer's name is but there are numerous different types on Ebay, all seem to be variations of the same thing.

They work ok most of the time but can be spiked by mobile phone, hearing loop, pa system etc radio wave interference that causes erratic flash triggering. For the home user, that isn't likely to be much of an issue and they have the major benefit of being dirt cheap.

I also use an Elinchrom Skyport with my M9 (and DMRs) and my Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid portable strobes. Initially I couldn't get the M9 to work with it. But after some repeated attempts, I found that the Skyport trigger wasn't quite pushed in all the way onto the hotshot. No problems now - works perfectly

I also use an Elinchrom Skyport with my M9 (and DMRs) and my Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid portable strobes. Initially I couldn't get the M9 to work with it. But after some repeated attempts, I found that the Skyport trigger wasn't quite pushed in all the way onto the hotshot. No problems now - works perfectly

that quadra kit is a little gem of a light system.

tonnes of grunt, (compared to a speed light "strobist" setup) but still really portable

it has been on my radar for a long time, one day i will grab one