From M240 back to the essential (M8)

Guest rivercityrocker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So you're not going to disclose? My use of the M8.2 leads to a very different conclusion. YMMV.

Jeff

I figured from your comment you obviously knew I didn't use an M8.2. Yes, I used an M8.

I am the king of GAS attack.. 13 Leica M9 i have owned in 2 years, 6 Leica M8, 4 Leica M7, 5 Leica M6, a lot of M2.. This week I purchased a Monochrom and.. Sold in two days.

After speak with my woman, decided to sell everything (if anyone wants the 50 asph...) And keep my M6 and a 35 Cron and 50 summarit 1.5n that's all. In september with the money, we will be travelling around Asia or Caribe, have to decide :)

Seriously, keep one camera, one or two lenses and enjoy photograph not gear. We are concern just for the ISO, Viewfinders, speed... The real and only point is PHOTOGRAPHY, leave behind the GAS and buy some books, a good scanner or a good digital one. Enjoy.

• Like 8

After speak with my woman, decided to sell everything (if anyone wants the 50 asph...) And keep my M6 and a 35 Cron and 50 summarit 1.5n that's all.

I hope that my case did not trigger your decision:eek:

In the near future we might have a thread about "minimalisation of Leica M Gear":o

Enjoy your holiday in September!

Good luck, and keep to your promises

John

I figured from your comment you obviously knew I didn't use an M8.2. Yes, I used an M8.

But you still didn't say if your M8 has upgraded (2m) frame lines. That was the whole point of my comment, which was not meant to be caustic in any way (even though your responses appear to be so).

I just would be surprised, based on your comment of the 40 versus 35 lens, if you had the upgraded lines. If not, you might consider an upgrade to your M8 (if still available), if framing accuracy at moderate distances is important to you.

I've used many Ms over several decades, and the 2m lines are the best I've used, based on my needs and preferences. I'm glad the new M has them. YMMV.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

For 40mm lenses, the 35mm framelines of film Ms, M8 and R-D1 are significantly more accurate at long to medium distance than those of M8u and M8.2 to the point that i don't use my Leica and Rokkor 40 anymore on the latter. My favorite lens on the R-D1 remains the Summicron-C 40/2 though but it won't find any use on the M240, most probably, for the same reason.

For 40mm lenses, the 35mm framelines of film Ms, M8 and R-D1 are significantly more accurate at long to medium distance than those of M8u and M8.2 to the point that i don't use my Leica and Rokkor 40 anymore on the latter.

That makes sense. But I was responding to a comment that the 35 lines were 'way' more accurate for a 40 lens than a 35 lens, and for this to be true, one likely isn't using an M8u or M8.2, which is ideally suited for a 35 lens IMO.

Your comment suggests that the poster is indeed using a stock M8.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Sorry for the possible OT-ness but our discussion about 40mm lenses might interest both M8 and M240 users IMO since the viewfinder of the latter as well as that of M8u and M8.2 bodies is set to be accurate at 2 meters instead of 1m for the M8.

To answer Bruniroquai's question, the 0.85x viewfinder of M6 and later film Ms should be set to be accurate at 1m or 0.7m if memory serves so their 35mm framelines should suit well at long to medium distance at least.

Same for the M8, but not for M8u, M8.2 and M240 i'm afraid so 40mm lenses like Summicron-C 40/2, Nokton 40/1.4, M-Rokkor 40/2 or Sonnar 40/2.8 could well be the OP's "one lens" if he intends to acquire an M8 body and doesn't upgrade to M8u or M8.2.

Very sympathic approach and decision, John!

I often leave my M9 at home, esp. when strolling towards crowdy spaces - just because I'm afraid someone might snatch it. And I HATE that since I consider it silly. :eek:

But it's a fact - since I currently simply can't afford an insurance that covers such high value of gear. So I only take her out to (hopefully) safe places.

I never feel this angst when taking my OM-D - though it's no cheap camera either. But I value her for having a more 'reasonable' price tag that makes me feel free to take it anywhere...

And it gives a charming, often excellent image quality.

Edited by Indina
  • Like 1

Guest rivercityrocker
But you still didn't say if your M8 has upgraded (2m) frame lines. That was the whole point of my comment, which was not meant to be caustic in any way (even though your responses appear to be so).

I just would be surprised, based on your comment of the 40 versus 35 lens, if you had the upgraded lines. If not, you might consider an upgrade to your M8 (if still available), if framing accuracy at moderate distances is important to you.

I've used many Ms over several decades, and the 2m lines are the best I've used, based on my needs and preferences. I'm glad the new M has them. YMMV.

Jeff

No, I have not upgraded my M8. I have no intention to (if it's even an option). The upgrade price is definitely not worth it, in my opinion.

A camera club to which I used to belong had its share of members with GAS. Many of these thought my ancient Leicas were way too expensive and a waste of money. As we all know the way to spend lots of money on photo gear is to go chasing the latest stuff on the market and then replace it (at a loss) as soon as the next "up-grade" appears. The saddest part of this is that the only people who profit from this are the governments with their sales taxes.

Very sympathic approach and decision, John!

I often leave my M9 at home, esp. when strolling towards crowdy spaces - just because I'm afraid someone might snatch it. And I HATE that since I consider it silly. :eek:

But it's a fact - since I currently simply can't afford an insurance that covers such high value of gear. So I only take her out to (hopefully) safe places.

I never feel this angst when taking my OM-D - though it's no cheap camera either. But I value her for having a more 'reasonable' price tag that makes me feel free to take it anywhere...

And it gives a charming, often excellent image quality.

sell the omd and buy insurance for the M9. and then take it everywhere you go.

• Like 2

sell the omd and buy insurance for the M9. and then take it everywhere you go.

Selling the OM-D?

No way! :)

Shooting in the zoo or wildlife (tele) or under dark circumstances / at night (live time feature, live bulb, image stabilisator) or Macro... or using the glorious FT 7-14mm is something I'd definitely miss. M9 is useless for these.

Edited by Indina
  • Like 1

Well, it's all about money, isn't it? I have always felt that no one really NEEDS a Leica, there is lots of other photographic equipment on the market which is able to take excellent pictures. On the other hand, there is something special about using Leicas, they certainly are very fine pieces of machinery, and their optics are second to none. So assuming one WANTS a Leica, it all boils down to whether you can afford it without sacrificing other (potentially more important) things in life.

As long as I (and I hasten to add, my wife, too :)) do not feel like sacrificing more important things, I am not going to sell any of my Leica gear any time soon. But I would if I had to.

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your (recognizable) story!

I bought myself a M9 + Elmarit 2.8/21 Asph + Summilux 1.4/35 Asph + Summilux 1.4/50 Asph + Summarit 2.5/9 + an old Metz Mecablitz 32CT7

The M9 + 50 + is the combo i use most (98%) of the time. Thought about selling the 21+90 but as long as i don't need the cash i keep them. The only thing i would like to acquire is a film M, but just one body is also a pleasant situation, never have to choose.....:D