Sign in to follow this  
Obskura

Leica Hood Experts? Ollux/ 12522 (H)???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I just recently picked up a lot of Leicas from a nice lady in the mid west, and was extremely happy to find an early 12522 hood for the first version 35mm summilux steel rim. The inscription on it is 12522 H 1:1.4/35. I've only seen the variations inscribed OLLUX and 12522 part numbers, but never one with an H at the end. It looks like the OLLUX and regular 12522s with the oval sides and flat top and bottom. The hood part is a slightly lighter gray color than the black mounting rim.

Any one have any info on this? I can;t seem to find any anywhere.

Thanks so much!

Welcome to the forum! It's worth posting this question in the Leica Collectors & Historica section, where the real experts are more likely to see it.

Nothing strange : there has been a period (1960 around) in which the Leitz product codes were made by 5 digits PLUS one letter (you can see them in several Leitz catalogs of the era) : it was the coding system which superseded the old famous five letters code (which initiated with very "speaking" codes like LEICA and ELMAR...

).

Later on, they probably found that the letter was superfluous (*) and kept only the 5 digits (for photo... for microscropes they used 6 digits) and this can be also verified in their catalogs. Items' engravings followed this decision, see hereunder a quick example, two hoods of different age :

(*) It would be interesting to know WHY they did added the letter... apparently, there have never been codes with same number and different letter... neither, I think, letter had been introduced to use it as a "version" identifier... they seem to be assigned "randomly".... I wonder if it could be something like a "control character" designed to avoid errors in the orders' management in sight of the communication systems used at those times (telex etc...)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Thank you, I'll try there, but it looks like luigi bertolotti has given some very good info... but I'm thirsty for more! Thanks to both of you!

Hi all, I was told to direct my question to this sub. I recently came across a 122522 H hood for the first version 35mm summilux. Can anyone enlighten me to the use of the extra letter at the end of the product number? I know they did it on other hoods, but I've never seen examples on this particular hood. Also any word on an increase or decrease of value this might make to the hood?

Thanks in advance!

Just a matter of time to find the right examples...

... and I do NOT exclude that some minor variants do exist (the arrows ?)... in its golden years, Leitz pursued a continuos improvement, even even slight, on their products, and given that the Summilux 35 (and, consequently, its hood) has always been a "small batches" item, and a "prestige" one, too, they made many modifications... the lens in itself had, roughly, more than 10 variants/versions during its long life... And, as you probably know, there is also a completely different hood (12504), divisible in two parts to accomodate series VII filters... and it in turn has variants... (my one is engraved "1:1,4/35", others are engraved also "1:2/35")

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is mine - identical to one posted by Luigi.

You can count yourself luckly having found one - eBay prices are in the region $1000 - 1500.

Just a matter of time to find the right examples...

... and I do NOT exclude that some minor variants do exist (the arrows ?)... in its golden years, Leitz pursued a continuos improvement, even even slight, on their products, and given that the Summilux 35 (and, consequently, its hood) has always been a "small batches" item, and a "prestige" one, too, they made many modifications... the lens in itself had, roughly, more than 10 variants/versions during its long life... And, as you probably know, there is also a completely different hood (12504), divisible in two parts to accomodate series VII filters... and it in turn has variants... (my one is engraved "1:1,4/35", others are engraved also "1:2/35")

Yes, well I feel a chronic case coming on! Can I ask where you got the second picture? I couldn't find one anywhere. I guess it might be time to pick up some kind of reference book...

Thanks for all you're help guys, I'm excited to have this piece. If only I could track down the lens this guy attached to.......

Yes, well I feel a chronic case coming on! Can I ask where you got the second picture? I couldn't find one anywhere. I guess it might be time to pick up some kind of reference book...

Thanks for all you're help guys, I'm excited to have this piece. If only I could track down the lens this guy attached to.......

The only sure answer is "in my PC"...

) can come from the most different sources which, usually, I don't keep record of... can be taken from ebay sales, auctions' catalog, scanning of old ads and or books... some are also from OUR Wiki section.

If you haven't yet any reference book... start from the top : James Lager.