Vertical alignment MM

photoarne

There is no information yet on the implemantation on the M, but the adjustment is behind the red dot.

"Just got the Monochrom, great files and camera, but the RF has a vertical alignment problem."

Not sure what the issue his. However, this thread may help:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/122176-m9-coincidence-infinity.html

However, if I were you, I'd send it back to the mothership for proper adjustment.

Thank you, Ecar. The problem is not focusing precision, which is rather good, but when in focus the two images don't coincide, one is above (higher) than the other. So it is purely a vertical problem I think.

I seem to remember the procedure for adjustment is slightly different for the MM (but I might be wrong).

Thank you, Ecar. The problem is not focusing precision, which is rather good, but when in focus the two images don't coincide, one is above (higher) than the other. So it is purely a vertical problem I think.

I seem to remember the procedure for adjustment is slightly different for the MM (but I might be wrong).

Does this links help (retrieved from my "might be useful, never know" bookmark list)?

Leica FAQ — Rangefinder adjustment

I don't think the procedure for the MM is any different, as the body is essentially the same as that of the M9.

However, kindly note that (a) I have never encountered this issue myself, (B) I do not own an MM and © in any event, I would let do this by someone more capable than me...

I left my MP with my dealer for exactly the same adjustment nearly two weeks ago. I am still waiting for the repair tracker reference from Solms, so if you can have a local expert fix it for you, you might save yourself a lot of time without a camera.

I am sincerely hoping that it's not sitting on a shelf waiting for a load of M(240)s to be fixed first...

1 remove cover screw

2. Put a mini (mini!!!) drop of acetone on the locking glue to soften

3. Insert special tool (ebay and adjust

4. replace cover screw

Thank you Jaapv, this should be doable. Btw. what's the designation of the special tool (for ebay search)?

Many thanks to others who have tried to help me out.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump, but did you ever get it fixed photoarne?

I'm about to buy this tool myself because I don't want to send it in every time the vertical alignment gets inadvertently knocked out of place, which I reckon will be often during my M9-P's lifetime.

Thanks.

I don't know what you are planning to do with your camera, but you will need to drop your camera bag from a couple of feet to risk knocking the alignment off. In forty years of use of M cameras I only managed to do it once. You should buy a hammer instead if you want to drive nails.

Thank you Jaapv, this should be doable. Btw. what's the designation of the special tool (for ebay search)?

Many thanks to others who have tried to help me out.

I have the Ebay sourced tool and have done it ..... it's very easy.

If you have an eyepiece magnifier it helps ..... that way you can be 100% sure you are spot on.

• Like 1

Sorry for the bump, but did you ever get it fixed photoarne?

I'm about to buy this tool myself because I don't want to send it in every time the vertical alignment gets inadvertently knocked out of place, which I reckon will be often during my M9-P's lifetime.

Thanks.

Getting the tool from Hong Kong (I believe) to Norway took a few weeks, and during this time the vertical alignment gradually changed for the better and is now virtually perfect! Kind of settling-in I suppose, but rather unexpected. So I've got the tool (thanks Jaapv!) ready if needed.

As for knocking out of place, that has only happened to me once, when I dropped my M4 to the pavement. The M4 was current then, so it has been a while :)

. . . the vertical alignment gradually changed for the better and is now virtually perfect! . . .

The angle at which one looks through the eyepiece can change the apparent vertical alignment. Have you ruled that out?

Edited by brusby

It is probably just the change of weather where Arne lives. Leica's big secret is that they've taken part of the the rangefinder mechanism from one of these :D:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 5 years later...

Hello everyone, I followed this trhead and I followed the procedure described for vertical alignment of the rangefinder.
I removed the red Leica dot, I dropped a drop of acetone on the adjustment mechanism of the vertical alignment and after a while I inserted the special tool into the hole trying to pivot and move the mechanism.

I have not seen any drops of glue on the mechanism or anything that looks like glue.

However, I noticed that the instrument was not gripped at any point and therefore, rotating the instrument, the vertical alignment mechanism did not seem to move in any direction.

After some time applying more force I noticed a great vertical misalignment. Trying to recover, I could not move the patch anymore.

I ask you if it ever happened to you or if I did something wrong.

thank you