Has anyone recently had the MP viewfinder upgrade carried out?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the MP finder upgrade performed on my M6 Millenium by Youxin Ye (can't remember how much it was) but he uses the same condenser lens part as the Leica tech do and its much much cheaper through him. I think i didn't make much difference but i think i was expecting too much after owning a M3 and M2 who's viewfinders are fantastic. It did improve the flare however it still DOES flare quite a bit.

• Like 1

Try Solms...

I sent there my M4-P for a total CLA and the viewfinder upgrade in 2008. The work was carried out flawlessly and the camera has been performing like new ever since... Not to mention that the upgrade is, in my modest opinion, really worth the effort.

If memory serves me right, I believe I was charged something around 800 Euro... Obviously, 5 years later, it will be more; but I think it is still worth it!

I have further info, having spoken with Leica CS and Wil van Manen here in NL.

Leica will replace the "mirror" inside, which is what is sometimes referred to as condenser lens, to one which is anti-flare treated. It is not, according to the Leica rep I spoke with, polarised. In addition, as Andy noted, the front window (or "screen" as the Leica rep called it, but that may be a Deutschification) will be replaced to one which is anti-glare treated.

What van Manen will do is to place a "polarising filter" in front of the "sub assembly" (no idea what that is). This reduces flare by 90% but dims the framelines 10%.

Leica's upgrade will reduce flare similarly but will apparently not dim the framelines.

Leica charges 350€ plus VAT and has approx. a 3-week turnaround time. van Manen charges 125€ plus VAT and will take 3-4 weeks.

philip

I had the Leica upgrade done on my M6j and can attest it is very effectiveas this model was before much prone to flare.

It was many years ago and the price did not shoot up as much as i would have imagined.

I always thought this "viewfinder flare" was much ado about nothing. My M6 TTL seemed fine. Then I got an M3, which is becoming my main camera because I'm a 50 shooter. Now when I go back to my M6, it's like, "You got to be kidding me." I can't believe the flaring/low contrast viewing experience.

Looking into the upgrade.

• Like 1