Need Suggestion/Canon or Leica R for Alaska ?

dsapkota

canon would be an ideal choice in this segment, as its the best one in this segment

Canon's color resolution in the red part of the spectrum is poor and this time of year the tundra is ablaze with reds oranges and yellows.

See Digital Medium Format / 35mm equiv difference - FM Forums specifically theSuede's post at Aug 16, 2013 at 03:22 AM

• Like 1

Canon's color resolution in the red part of the spectrum is poor and this time of year the tundra is ablaze with reds oranges and yellows.

See Digital Medium Format / 35mm equiv difference - FM Forums specifically theSuede's post at Aug 16, 2013 at 03:22 AM

Thanks for your comments. What I realise already is - if you want nice color saturation, DMR is the only option with Leica R lenses, I mean R lenses with Canon/Nikon/Sony can NOT give nice color saturation.

But pity, the DMR is slow, noise with high ISO, so many problems.

• 1 month later...

DS. Very,very impressive shots. Hope you are pleased as well you should be.

And now that you have processed the images, what did you learn about

-- Shooting in Alaska

-- The light and best time of day

-- Lenses that worked best and why

-- Anything else for those of us planning an Alaska trip

Ed

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

DS. Very,very impressive shots. Hope you are pleased as well you should be.

-- Shooting in Alaska

-- The light and best time of day

-- Lenses that worked best and why

-- Anything else for those of us planning an Alaska trip

Ed

Alaska is so big and varied that it could take several books to answer these questions. From a wildlife photographer's perspective who spent six summers in Denali National Park, when the sun is above the horizon it's never high in the sky so the light can be sweet most of the day.

In the interior where I was the sky was cloudy as often as not, varying greatly from one year to the next. I lived in a tent framed with 2x4s with a sheet-metal roof so I could hear every raindrop no matter how small. (This tent also had a hole in the fabric that let the sun in at 4 AM, waking me up to go running before breakfast and work; but I digress.) One August morning after a whole summer of very rainy weather I woke on my day off to total silence. Not one raindrop was hitting the roof, and it was my day off! I looked out the window to see a blanket of snow. OTOH daytime temperatures were occasionally in the low 90s F.

Some of the wildlife is big and potentially dangerous so you want to keep your distance and some of the less-dangerous animals will have you reaching for your extension tubes

photographs of birds by Douglas Herr

400mm f/6.8 Telyt, minimum focus 11'. I had to back up to take this photo.

or jumping out of the way so they don't run over your toes. One of my most memorable wildlife experiences was my search for the Collared Pika. Pikas are relatives of rabbits and hares who live in rocky talus slopes high in the mountains at the edges of meadows. With patience they may be spotted bouncing over around or under the loose rocks carrying a load of grasses to store for winter food

photographs of mammals by Douglas Herr

this Pika is in the Sierra Nevada mountains and the photo was made with off-topic equipment

Using my best blending-into-the-enviornment technique I climbed to a likely talus slope, sat, and waited. After a few minutes I heard a soft scuffling under the rocks, a Pika emerged, clambered onto the rock next to me, sniffed my pants, and sat down to enjoy the afternoon. 300mm lens, minimum focus 13'. Oh well.

Advice for those planning an Alaska trip? Sell everything you own before you go because you won't want to leave Alaska.

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 4

... After a few minutes I heard a soft scuffling under the rocks, a Pika emerged, clambered onto the rock next to me, sniffed my pants, and sat down to enjoy the afternoon. 300mm lens, minimum focus 13'. Oh well. ....

Doug,

That's priceless.:D

Pete.

• Like 1

efreed2754;2509954]DS. Very,very impressive shots. Hope you are pleased as well you should be.

- Thank you very much. Yes, I am very much happy to be at Alaska, fully satisfied, was worthy to visit.

-- Shooting in Alaska - Honestly, very easy to capture shots of animals - Bear, Moose, Carebu, Mountain Goats etc by the Bus Tour itself. Plenty of opportunities to shoot Great landscapes

-- The light and best time of day - I was there from 26th Aug till 9th Sept - partly sunshine, partly raining but overall it was great - I was there at Denali, Brooks Lake from 09:00 till 18:00 hours. I suggest you to be there in the spot from morning till late afternoon - the whole day

-- Lenses that worked best and why - For Landscapes I used Leica R lenses (28/2.8 latest, 35-70/4 latest, 80-200/4 latest, 280/4 latest with Leitax Canon Mount with my Canon 1DX, 5D III bodies most of the time and also with R mount with DMR+R9 in the last day. I also used Carl Zeiss 24-70/2.8 for Sony with Sony A99 with Singh Ray Circular Polarizer with Color Intensifier filter. For Animals, I used Canon 600mm IS II lens. Did have Leica 800mm modified to use with Sony but did not use it as I was afraid to miss the moment and also was not sure if the Lens was modified correctly.

-- Anything else for those of us planning an Alaska trip -

Do not bring so many lenses and bodies, worthy to visit Denali and having Bus Tour. Do visit Brooks Lake/Fall - plenty of opportunities to shoot bears

Edited by dsapkota
  • Like 2