Need Suggestion/Canon or Leica R for Alaska ?

dsapkota

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Take whatever you like shooting. Don't listen to other people. Many on these forums are 'armchair photographers.'

Back in '08 I took an old Leicaflex SL system up to Churchill Canada to shoot the polar bears for two weeks. Sure, I was out of place among all the digital cameras, but funny, a bunch of old time photographers nodded their heads in appreciation. And I had a blast shooting that old camera. That's when I fell in love with the SL and shoot it almost exclusively now.

Who needs a stinking rangefinder with their overpriced lenses? I still have a few, but I hardly use them.

The point is, take the camera system you like using, because you'll enjoy the experience better.

• Like 1

Take whatever you like shooting. Don't listen to other people. Many on these forums are 'armchair photographers.'

Who needs a stinking rangefinder with their overpriced lenses? I still have a few, but I hardly use them.

The point is, take the camera system you like using, because you'll enjoy the experience better.

You better starting running Steve, the M Brigade will be after you.

And funny you've mentioned about the armchair, I always tend to fondle my M when I am in a relexed mood, I don't take it much nowdays, just cannot find much use for it........Lol.

Agree with you on the SL, magnificent camera, I've retired mine as I need a diopter and mostly the lenses

I use are Rom,

However I must admit I now prefer the R8/9 which are also superb.

Ken.

• Like 1

Regardless of what you take don't get your heart set on seeing polar bears -- the time and location certainly make it possible, but not very common.

Regarding Leica lenses on Canon cameras, there is one caveat: Canon does not automaticallly stopdown lenses not designed for it. If you are shooting at anything smaller than full aperture you will need to meter stopped down, focus wide open, and then manually stop down to shoot. If you're shooitng wide open (and Leica glass is rather good at that), this is not an issue.

• Like 1

... Regarding Leica lenses on Canon cameras, there is one caveat: Canon does not automaticallly stopdown lenses not designed for it. If you are shooting at anything smaller than full aperture you will need to meter stopped down, focus wide open, and then manually stop down to shoot. If you're shooitng wide open (and Leica glass is rather good at that), this is not an issue.

Actually with LiveView metering stopped down isn't so much of a problem (up to a point) because LCD screen luminosity compensates for the reduced light through the smaller aperture. Noise will be introduced on the LCD screen (not the sensor) but I rarely notice it down to about f/8 in an evenly lit scene. f/11 and f/16 are visibly noisy but I've still managed to nail focus with magnified view.

Pete.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i like looking at my photos taken with leica lenses knowing that they are what i like and when taking a nice shot they make me happy ,,which outfit makes you more proud of your pics , i use canon body with an adapter for R as an amateur ive taken some decent shots of wildlife ,mostly birds 400mm2.8 also ,i would not want to take the shot of a lifetime without gear that i really like ,,i would not want to make a hole in one without my forged hogans ,i dont want to catch a trophy trout without my custom bamboo rod, if just the end result is what your interested in then go with gives you this the easiest....paul

• Like 1

Many thanks you all.

I am thinking to bring my Canon gear (1DX, 800/5.6 IS, one of the 28-300mm IS/70-200 2.8 IS/300/4 IS or 400/5.6, and 17-40/4 L) and some smaller (28/2.8 ROM, 35-70/4 ROM, 80-200/4 ROM etc) Leica lenses with EOS adaptor.

Are you taking a camel as well to carry it?

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Are you taking a camel as well to carry it?

(1DX, 800/5.6 IS, one of the 28-300mm IS/70-200 2.8 IS/300/4 IS or 400/5.6, and 17-40/4 L) and some smaller (28/2.8 ROM, 35-70/4 ROM, 80-200/4 ROM etc) Leica lenses with EOS adaptor.

= 1Dx, 28-300mm, 17-40/4 L, Leica 28/2.8, 35-70/4, 80-200/4, EOS adapter

I don't think I need a camel to carry:D, I think you overlooked 'one of the'

I visited Alaska In July 1997 . I shot Kodachrome 25 and one 200 , mostly on my R6 as I dropped my SL2 and the meter stopped working .I do not think digital photography had been invented then , could be wrong.

I can't remember exactly which lenses I had , certainly the Elmarit 90 , Elmarit 35 , Elmarit 19 and a Telyt 350 . I mainly used the 35 and 90.

I did a land tour by coach and train before getting on a cruise ship .

The light was lovely there very clear and sharp , and I do not think it got dark at night .

As mentioned earlier use the equipment you like the most .

• Like 1

... The light was lovely there very clear and sharp , and I do not think it got dark at night .

The light is beautiful in Alaska! When the sun is up it's never directly overhead with very little air pollution (except for Fairbanks in the winter). In August and September it will get dark at night.

• Like 1

Like most users suggested in this forum ask yourself how important is to getting the pictures (in contrast to the process of picture taking). If you're not one of those experience photographers with IS built into your arm AND if you don't shoot tripod over 95% of the time then please do yourself a favor by scrapping off the ideal of using Leica artillery, APO or not.

Unless you forecast that your interesting subjects are going to appear in the open field during mid-day, chill and let you setup your tripod or window-pod and have perfect weather all the time.

Just my 2-cent: the APO tele is lovely, especially for stationary or slow moving object and I LOVE it for more of picture taking experience. If I want to "get the picture", especially getting BIF photos of rare birds that come across my trip then there's no fr**king way I'm going to do it with anything larger than a bare 280/4, not even mention of adding 2x (which I'm gonna scrap it soon from my toolbox). Your experience may be different, so take it as a grain of salt but think wisely.

Final advise - bring light, you'll have more immense and enjoyable experience!!

Edited by Mantice
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just a small update especially for them who have not done this test.

I bought 2X Modul to make my system 800/5.6 and put the Leitax Canon mount on it and used it with my Canon 1DX and 5D III two weeks ago.

My conclusion about Color Saturation, Contrast, Sharpness, Depth of Filed =

The color saturation we see using DMR+R9/R8 with Leica R lens is mostly by DMR and a bit by R Lens.

While using R lenses on Canon with canon mount (Leitax), I found the sharpness, contrast and depth of field almost same/equal as while using DMR+R9/R8 with R lenses but not the color saturation.

So, if you really want to have great color saturation, you should stick with DMR.

However, using R lenses on Canon body render better result in terms of sharpness and depth of field than what Canon body+Canon lenses do.

I am sorry I tried but could not succeed to upload pictures here the way this site suggests, am not good in technical stuff. Here are sample pictures I have made -

Leica R9+DMR+800/5.6 =

Canon 5D III+Leica 800/5.6 with Leitax Canon Mount =

Canon 5D III+Leica 35-70/4 ROM with Leitax Canon Mount =

By the way, I am still in The Netherlands, 9 more days to fly to Alaska with my Leica 800/5.6 (modified to use with Sony A99, an experiment, never have used Sony, my Sony A99 body is waiting for my in my Alaska address), Canon 1DX and 5D III bodies with Leica 28/2.8 ROM with Canon Leitax Mount, 35-70/4 ROM with Canon Leitax Mount, 80-200/4 ROM with Canon Leitax Mount am not sure but am thinking to bring 280/4 ROM as well with me.

And Canon 600/4 IS II lens waiting for me in my Alaska address, my friend will accompany me enabling me to handle these two big tele lenses. Will be an experiment to see the result from Canon body+Canon Lenses, Canon body+Leica R lenses, Sony body+Leica R lens.

Friends, pray for me to capture great moment of Fall Color with Great Scenes, Bear catching Salmon and other wildlife in the great Alaska.

Edited by dsapkota