Need Suggestion/Canon or Leica R for Alaska ?

dsapkota

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear ALL,

I am posting this thread here seeking your suggestion.

I am going to Alaska for a month from August-Sept. I do have both Canon (800/5.6 IS, and other Canon lenses, Canon latest Body)

and also Leica DMR+R9 and Leica Modul system 400/2.8, may get 1.4X or 2X Modul making my system 800/5.6 and do have other R lenses too.

I am in dilema whether to bring the Leica or Canon system with me thinking that Leica would be better in terms of sharpness and color saturation but Canon is AF, faster motor, IS. Also the charge on Battery for DMR does not last long.

Would be great to hear your experience and thought.

Thanking you all and looking forward to hearing from you.

IMHO If I was going I would take the Canon and some R lenses, (very happy with mine) I would also take a few rolls of fuji provia film for my R9.

Have great trip.

I am going to Japan shortly with this combo.

Ken.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

IMHO If I was going I would take the Canon and some R lenses, (very happy with mine) I would also take a few rolls of fuji provia film for my R9.

Have great trip.

I am going to Japan shortly with this combo.

Ken.

Thank you Ken for your reply. How would you use the R Lenses in Canon? With the adapter? That is an alterante but using R lenses in the DMR+R9 would render better sharpness and color saturation, I guess.

How about taking your Canon kit for digital and your R9 with a couple smaller lenses and shoot film with it. This will give you the best of both worlds and you will not have to worry about batteries with you DMR.

I still use my DMR but the poor battery performance compared to my new Nikon has me using the Nikon more frequently these days. My heart still lies with my Leica though.

• Like 1

How about taking your Canon kit for digital and your R9 with a couple smaller lenses and shoot film with it. This will give you the best of both worlds and you will not have to worry about batteries with you DMR.

I still use my DMR but the poor battery performance compared to my new Nikon has me using the Nikon more frequently these days. My heart still lies with my Leica though.

That is one of the options Dave, thank you for your suggestion.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Ken for your reply. How would you use the R Lenses in Canon? With the adapter? That is an alterante but using R lenses in the DMR+R9 would render better sharpness and color saturation, I guess.

I have three EOS to R adapters, two from Novoflex and one top quality Japanese brand that I bought S/H.

Been using this combination over a year now, had no issues with the Canon DSLR.

Compared to Leica, Canon gear is just about obtainable anywhere and it's better value for your money.

As for better sharpness and Colour saturation, Digital imaging is all about post processing.

I loved the DMR concept but never owned one the new Canon gear will be just as good, it's all in the Lenses.

It's your choice, for my Digital imaging, I have selected my needs and unfortunately it's not with Leica.

Good Luck.

Ken.

What hope has Leica got agains't this.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

As for better sharpness and Colour saturation, Digital imaging is all about post processing.

NO IT'S NOT.

I loved the DMR concept but never owned one

I can see why you reached that conclusion. The DMR's CFA is optimized for color quality at low ISO, sacrificing high-ISO performance. The CFA of most other cameras is optimized for low noise at high ISO, sacrificing color discrimination and gradation at low ISO.

What hope has Leica got agains't this.

APO and the R9's viewfinder.

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 5

Many thanks you all.

I am thinking to bring my Canon gear (1DX, 800/5.6 IS, one of the 28-300mm IS/70-200 2.8 IS/300/4 IS or 400/5.6, and 17-40/4 L) and some smaller (28/2.8 ROM, 35-70/4 ROM, 80-200/4 ROM etc) Leica lenses with EOS adaptor.

Where in Alaska? What subjects are you looking for? What logisitical support will you have?

My station will be Anchorage, staying in my friend's house. My interest is on both Wildlife and Landscapes. I will be going to different places like Denali and am thinking to do Polar Bear and other tour too, any experience with it -

Arctic Air Expeditions - Travel to the Top of the World

or any suggestion ?

Edited by dsapkota

NO IT'S NOT.

I can see why you reached that conclusion. The DMR's CFA is optimized for color quality at low ISO, sacrificing high-ISO performance. The CFA of most other cameras is optimized for low noise at high ISO, sacrificing color discrimination and gradation at low ISO.

APO and the R9's viewfinder.

What planet have you been on lately Doug, Try the Canon 1DX, I played with one last week, nearly bought one, and still might, after playing with it for two hours I didn't want to hand it back.

My 28-90mm and the 21-35mm wouldn't work on it otherwise I would have taken it home.

You're welcome to check out Camera Lane here in Melbourne and speak to the owner and he will

verify my conclusion on the Canon 1DX.

It puts my SL, R7, R8, and the R9 viewfinder to shame, Its an awasome Camera, and it's AF is deadly.

It's shear class, what a machine, why don't you borrow one for your wildlife shots, you will be most

IMPRESSED.

Cheers.

• Like 2

You suggest taking this outfit for an excursion to Alaska?

No I am not suggesting to take this outfit to Alaska, but it's a huge selection to pick from.

Some of you people should travel more, and check out what People are using.

On my last trip to Thailand, I came across a German tour group, not one had a Leica.

I wonder why most had Canons on Nikons, perhaps they left their leicas back in their hotel.

Probably they felt it might have been to hot for their leicas.........Lol.

YES I STILL LOVE MY LEICAS, BUT I KNOW WHATS REALITY.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Many thanks you all.

I am thinking to bring my Canon gear (1DX, 800/5.6 IS, one of the 28-300mm IS/70-200 2.8 IS/300/4 IS or 400/5.6, and 17-40/4 L) and some smaller (28/2.8 ROM, 35-70/4 ROM, 80-200/4 ROM etc) Leica lenses with EOS adaptor.

WOW, YOU HAVE A CANON 1DX, your'e very lucky, you have the best gear.

Leave your Leica home.

Once again good luck.

Ken.

• Like 1

What planet have you been on lately Doug

Earth. Have you used a DMR?

Some of you people should travel more, and check out what People are using.

Unless I'm insecure about my own choices or want to borrow lenses from them, why would a straw poll of tourists' cameras mean anything to me?

My station will be Anchorage, staying in my friend's house. My interest is on both Wildlife and Landscapes. I will be going to different places like Denali and am thinking to do Polar Bear and other tour too, any experience with it -

Arctic Air Expeditions - Travel to the Top of the World

or any suggestion ?

If you have access to electric power away from Anchorage DMR batteries shouldn't be a problem. I spent 6 summers in Denali and terrain & vegetation varies all over the map: dense brush, spruce forest, gravel river bars, spongy dwarf birch covered with moss (an AWESOME place to put a sleeping bag!) rocky cliffs, tussock grass, and lichen-covered rock. Unless you plan to hike far off the road a tripod won't be a problem but for many of my favorite hikes the weight and bulk (getting snagged on brush) will be a major nuisance.

The Canon or Leica choice depends on your preferences. For those who want to be sure they get the picture, the automation and convenience features of the Canon are hard to argue with. I prefer pictures that make my heart sing even if the hit rate is lower, so the DMR & APO glass would be my choice. I would not plan on using R lenses on the Canon unless you've had some experience using them with the Canon's viewfinder.

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 1

Earth. Have you used a DMR?

Unless I'm insecure about my own choices, why would a straw poll of tourists' cameras mean anything to me, unless I wanted to borrow lenses from them?

First question, Yes I have played with one, then it started to play up, kept turning off.

Changed batteries but made no differance to it simply wasn't happy with it,

I actually bought the R9 for that reason to mount it to the DMR as I already had the R8, then changed my mind and bought the 21-35 and the 28-90 instead.

Second question, we where actually on this boat trip around the islands, I was using my M7 and the

35mmf2 asph they started talking to me and my wife about Australia.

Oh you have a leica yea, and the conversation went on, they where lovely people.

Cheers.

• Like 1

First question, Yes I have played with one, then it started to play up, kept turning off.

Changed batteries but made no differance to it simply wasn't happy with it,

I actually bought the R9 for that reason to mount it to the DMR as I already had the R8, then changed my mind and bought the 21-35 and the 28-90 instead.

Second question, we where actually on this boat trip around the islands, I was using my M7 and the

35mmf2 asph they started talking to me and my wife about Australia.

Oh you have a leica yea, and the conversation went on, they where lovely people.

Cheers.

I'm afraid I don't understand how this post responds to my questions.

• Like 1