m8 raws with Mac C1 Pro. Safari vs. others

misha

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys. i am experiensing something i cant quite explain.

workflow: dng only to c1 pro, a bit of white balance correction, may be contrast, sharpness. really nothing crazy. then convert to high jpegs. upload online. so far so good.

when viewing images in Safari, everthing looks identical to C1, but IE, Mozilla (Frefox and Camino) on different computers render completely different, extremely desaturated results. at the same time, b/w images are fine. i've also checked images taken with another camera and those match. this only started with tweaking m8 dng files in c1..

to summarize, C1 viewed in Safari - no problems. color completely off everywhere (IE, Mozilla) else.

big spacibo (thanks) in advance

misha

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

Here is a test look at this image in Safari than open the same page in Firefox. The one in Safari is the correct look. Make sure there srgb also

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Misha--you are converting to sRGB before uploading, right?

hm. i guess not. i thought this was an in-camera setting, not something i needed to do separately, but i guess not with raws. where in c1 is this tab?

not sure I see a difference. same in firefox and safari to me.

Michael,

You can convert to sRGB in Photoshop. Choose Edit > Convert to Profile and select sRGB in the Destination Space.

You can also convert to sRGB directly from C1 when you process.

First, be sure to have your color management settings correct - Choose Workflow > Show Color Management Settings > then in the Web Destination drop-down box select sRGB.

When you process the file, select the Process Tab - in the drop-down box under Color Management Workflow: select convert to Web Destination. Under File Format: select one of the JPEG options.

I am on Windows PC so MAC may be different.

Hope this helps.

I'm almost certain you exported to AdobeRGB colorspace with your JPEG, and PC programs can't handle it.

Beginners should set all color management settings to sRGB, everywhere. They may not get the best color but at least they will get decent color, both on web and from minilab printers. Pro photographers who work with magazines would do well to follow the same advice - anything more sophisticated and a single untrained operator downstream can wreck your images,

I wont discourage people who explain "why you should have done xxx" but in practice when several machines with non-experts are involved and everything is not set to sRGB, an accident is almost guaranteed to happen.

btw here is an interesting browser test

Is It Version 4 Ready?

Edmund

quick update:

so i thought i found my mistake. now in C1, buttom center it reads

Leica M8 generic -- sRGB profile...yet, images still look fine in safari, but very different, desaturated in mozilla and others.. any ideas?

p.s. i dont have photoshop yet, as just recently converted to mac and still looking for friends with software and such.

thanks

m

I'm surprised that no one has continued this thread as it seems to be an extremely important issue and one relevant to posting images on this forum.

Here is an unresolved question: Is it a best practice to embed the sRGB profile (even though most Windows browsers and a couple on the Mac don't read the profiles) or is it a best practice to prepare the image to be viewed without a profile (leave the ICC profile box unchecked in the Photoshop "Save For Web" preview)?

In my limited experience, when the image has an embedded sRGB profile, it looks perfect in Safari, exactly as it does in Photoshop (but not the Photoshop "Save For Web" preview), but the same image with the embedded profile looks whacked in Firefox. In contrast, when the image does not have any embedded sRGB profile, it looks consistent among Safari, Firefox, and the Photoshop "Save For Web" preview. Compared to the profiled image, the unprofiled image always needs an increase in saturation and contrast.

Can anyone respond definitively on this matter?

Guy,

Don't you feel it is a serious concern that your images view so differently in color-managed browsers versus non-color-managed browsers? You seem to have the attitude that it isn't your problem if someone is using a non-color-managed browser to view your images. Strictly-speaking, that is true; it isn't your problem; Firefox should be color-managed. But since so many use Firefox and other non-color-managed browsers (I'm guessing IE), wouldn't it make sense to optimize the images for their viewing if that is possible?

Timothy

Okay, I've taken Guy's image and removed it's embedded sRGB profile (in the Photoshop "Save For Web" preview by unchecking "ICC Profile").

The result is consistent between Safari and Firefox. This is what the image looked like previously in Firefox because Firefox never read the sRGB profile. This means that the result is consistent, but most likely consistently ugly.

Go ahead, compare this image between Safari and Firefox.