need some help finding little part for my M5.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i e-mailed Sherry Krauter about this, but i never heard back from her. I have also e-mailed Leica service, however am not sure they will have this part or not. Does anybody know where i can find this little white insert on the lever here? Any other sources for Leica parts i should try?

i know it's just cosmetic...but it always bothers me to see it missing! :)

any help would be appreciated!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by iedei

Hello iedei,

Nice camera.

Since many pastics have a reasonably short life & it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between samples when looking for replacements:

If you can't find a suitable replacement why not carve yourself a replacement from a nice piece of a durable wood such as teak?

Don't forget: This is not a complex carving.

Historical note: During their heyday: Alpa 35mm offered woods such a rosewood, etc as well as various colors & types of leathers as coverings on their camera bodies.

A reasonable proportion of Alpa 35mm's regular production was a somewhat more informal & more extensive version of today's Leica Ala Carte. Including various platings on bodies, 1/2 frame models, etc.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello iedei,

Nice camera.

Since many pastics have a reasonably short life & it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between samples when looking for replacements:

If you can't find a suitable replacement why not carve yourself a replacement from a nice piece of a durable wood such as teak?

Don't forget: This is not a complex carving.

Historical note: During their heyday: Alpa 35mm offered woods such a rosewood, etc as well as various colors & types of leathers as coverings on their camera bodies.

A reasonable proportion of Alpa 35mm's regular production was a somewhat more informal & more extensive version of today's Leica Ala Carte. Including various platings on bodies, 1/2 frame models, etc.

Best Regards,

Michael

hi Michael! Yeah i've thought about making a filler to put into the hole.....but i guess i'll see if i can get lucky finding the piece. I'm thinking it probably won't be easy...but worth a shot! If not, then either i'll make something or just leave it as is i suppose.

Alpa offered some interesting stuff back in the day! they also had some fascinating style put to their gear.

Sherry`s email does not always work. Use the phone.

I have a relative that lives across town, comcast mail never makes it, AOL always.

If all else fails, then the part is two layers of plastic, one slightly smaller. Easy enough to make. Glue in.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks everyone. I got an e-mail back from Leica NJ Service today....they have the part and are going to mail it to me with no charge. Such fantastic service and help! These are the little things that always remind me that we are still dealing with a quality company.

Good to hear of the postive outcome, iedei...

Of course there was always the other option of purchasing a 'parts' camera :D

i would love to get a 2nd one! one in silver, perhaps!!

aaaaand as good as new! got the part in the mail today. Thank you to Dave from Leica NJ. Fantastic service as always. LOVE my M5!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!