Anyone use a Leica 1.25 or 1.4 Magnifier with a 50mm?

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got a 1.25x magnifier I don't use (because I have trouble seeing the 35mm frames with glasses on) that I'd love to offer to you - but it's with the rest of my stuff in another city, waiting for me to find a house to rent!

Good luck :)

I use a 1.4x magnifier on my M8 and M9, mostly with 75, 90 or 135mm lenses. However, when I switch to a 50mm lens I often continue working with the magnifier in place quite satisfactorily. But setting out with a 50mm fitted, I would not attach the magnifier by choice.

• 10 months later...
New user here so forgive the basic question. I just added a -1 diopter to my M. If I added the 1.25 magnifier for my 75, will I have to get rid of the diopter?

You can use them together via the thread, but also note that the magnifier will do just that, i.e., magnify, so if the diopter doesn't provide good correction, then the magnifier will exacerbate problems.

Some people prefer not to use a magnifier as it may reduce contrast, but that's another issue that requires experimentation.

Note, too, that there are some non-Leica magnifiers that also include diopter correction (and one that corrects for astigmatism). A search will bring up discussion. And you may want to read the FAQ for discussion on this and many other topics.

Jeff

• Like 1

Also note that, as the diopters go by halfvalues and eyes are usually a bit in between on the value most comfortable for the user, that one will often need a different dioptre for the magnifier.I find the that amagnifier does not add much and is often less accurate than a well-corrected direct view. Many lounge in cupboard drawers.

A bit of a waste of (a lot of) money in many cases.

I have a Leica magnifier that I sometimes used with the 75mm Summilux and 50mm lens, however despite my uncorrectable vision, I did not find it useful. In fact, it is a hindrance because one must align his eye just perfectly.

YMMV

Jaap: "Also note that, as the diopters go by halfvalues and eyes are usually a bit in between on the value most comfortable for the user, "

Good point! My mate has her late father's old Leica. I don't know the model. A III-something, I think. It has a built-in variable diopter that works very well for me. None of the fixed diopters work at all.

Edited by pico

I would like to try a magnifier on my Monochrom while using my 50 Summilux. Is there one that would change the .72 to life size? So that I would be able to focus both eyes open?

Thanks!

1.38889.x0.72=1 you need a 1.4x magnifier.

• Like 1

You can use them together via the thread, but also note that the magnifier will do just that, i.e., magnify, so if the diopter doesn't provide good correction, then the magnifier will exacerbate problems.

Some people prefer not to use a magnifier as it may reduce contrast, but that's another issue that requires experimentation.

Note, too, that there are some non-Leica magnifiers that also include diopter correction (and one that corrects for astigmatism). A search will bring up discussion. And you may want to read the FAQ for discussion on this and many other topics.

Jeff

Magnifiers need some additional + correction unless your eyes can accommodate to short and far. I find my reading /computer glasses, which have less - correction than regular bifocals, work perfectly.

If I wear the regular glasses, + .5 seems to work ok. Without it, pretty fuzzy.

My focus is much improved with 50 1.4 75 2.0 and 90 4.0 macro. 75 is the transition from 1.25 to 1.4. With 50 and 1.4 magnifier, the lines are really pushed to the edges.

With 1.4 mag, the frame lines remind me of the M3 size.

Edited by tobey bilek

• 7 years later...
On 5/25/2013 at 1:20 PM, pfhrased said:

I've got a 1.25x magnifier I don't use (because I have trouble seeing the 35mm frames with glasses on) that I'd love to offer to you - but it's with the rest of my stuff in another city, waiting for me to find a house to rent!

Good luck

Hi,

Do you still have the Leica 1.25x magnifier? I'm in Wellington and would be keen to acquire if it's still available.

PM me on IG @bokehstreet

Alan

• 5 weeks later...