D-Lux 3 LCD problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got my wife a D-Lux 3 last week in NY. It took great pictures for almost a week. Today the LCD stopped showing the image through the lens. The LCD shows the camera settings along the top and bottom with an otherwise black LCD screen. It will playback images in the SD card but will not allow any new pictures to be taken. I've tried taking out the battery, recycling the power and trying every picture taking mode. Still no image of what's getting through the lens on the LCD. Changing camera menu options doesn't work. And yes - I have removed the lens cap :-)

Is this a defective camera? Needless to say, I told my wife if she got a Leica, it would be better than her Canon digital P&S cameras that seem to break down on her after about a year. At least, this one came with a two year warranty.

Any thoughts?

Richard Clompus

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Sorry to hear of your problem Richard.

Looks like a defective sensor - camera will have to be sent for repairs.

But since its only a week old, first ask your dealer if he will exchange it for you.. he well may, esp if you ask nicely but firmly.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

We have this problem, too...

With a reset to factory settings we could "persuade" the camera to work for a while. But only a few hours...

Now nothing helped anymore. Our D-Lux will be brought to repair, soon...

I think it would be the best if you would do the same.

I already seen someone here in the forums, who brought his camera back, became a new one and is happy now :)

I hope that we (and you) will have the same luck :)

I just got mine a few days and it has the same problem too - is this systemic? Should I talk to Leica or the dealer? It's a shame as wife and I are going on a cruise next week and was hoping to use it. What do you people think is the fastest way to replace it?

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought my D-LUX 3 in March this year and it has produced excellent images, until today when I tried to use it and I had the same problem the screen shows all icons, but no image, although it will play back from the memory card.

I've emailed customer support for help, but I think it's going to have to go back under warranty.

Seems we all have a lot of company!

Ray

Hello guys I'm new at the forums.

I have to join the club of the Leica D-Lux 3 LCD problem, it just happened to me a few days ago. Same symptoms, icons and info on the screen but no image on the LCD when taking pictures. If you take the pic you just see a black screen when the preview shows up, so basically it's not taking anything.

Did you guys already contacted Leica? I got my camera on April so I guess it doesn't have a warranty from the dealer anymore. I live in Mexico and as far as I can see on the website I have to send it back to Leica in the US.

Anyways, I will continue to share my experiences about this problem and I will continue to post the whole follow up, this could be helpful for future customers.

Well I just talked to the Leica people today and they basically knew about the problem, in seconds they just said.. "send it back for repair".. oh well...

This is the easy part for me, the ugly part comes when they ship it back to Mexico and I have to deal with the freaking customs..... crap

Well I just talked to the Leica people today and they basically knew about the problem, in seconds they just said.. "send it back for repair".. oh well...

This is the easy part for me, the ugly part comes when they ship it back to Mexico and I have to deal with the freaking customs..... crap

Hello, I am in mexico too, and have a D lux 3 with no problems, encantado de contactar e intercambiar experiencias y fotos...saludos...Bob..:)

• 3 months later...

Well. I really think I have to write a follow up about this and I have to say this is not going to be pretty.

It's been 3 months, and 13 days since my Leica D Lux 3 stopped working. I sent it back to New Jersey for service after talking on the phone with the technical support staff at Leica Camera USA.

I'm just wondering one thing...is it so difficult to replace the camera if this kind of problem is happening often? That was my first question when I waited patiently for a month without any kind of response from the Leica people.

Being a Canon and Sony customer (with DSLR's and with old point and shoot digital cameras) I have to say that by far, Leica has the slowest, most disappointing customer service in my 15 years of experience with digital cameras. Not only they didn't solve my problem fast, they just didn't replaced the camera as they told me in the first place, instead, the camera was sent to "repair" and it's on the way back to Mexico, yes, 3 months and 13 days later. 3 months for this? gosh, I want 1/4 of my money back simply because I didn't had the camera to use it.

Now the camera is on UPS and I guess I will get it back on monday, the thing is, I just don't know if the camera is going to work well from this point or not, but being a new customer of Leica cameras I am really disappointed about all this experience.

Is this problem with the D Lux 3 something common? I've seen some post about it and it seems like Leica is not doing anything to clarify this.

I gues I will stick to my 30D with Canon when I want good pictures and buy a new Sony digicam that at least "is gonna" work for the whole year.

• 1 year later...

Hello Leica Users,

I have the same problem unfortunately. Black LCD and black pictures. The economy power options are turned off. I guess I need send in my Leica as well.

It really seems this problem pops-up quite often. Leica please investigate this problem.

Thank you,

Jurgen

• 6 months later...

I received the D-lux 3 as a present 1.5 yrs ago and had the same LCD problem after about 2 months of use.

The dealer sent it away for repair and it came back after another 2 months but has been as good as gold since then. Whatever fix Leica does, it seems to work.

I just wish they'd be up front about this and be more pro-active in their customer service.

There's obviously a bug with this camera -they should admit it and offer fixes. The longterm benefit in loyal customers is worth much more than the cost of repairs.

Leica- come on. Tell us what we already know!

SR

• 3 years later...
Well. I really think I have to write a follow up about this and I have to say this is not going to be pretty.

It's been 3 months, and 13 days since my Leica D Lux 3 stopped working. I sent it back to New Jersey for service after talking on the phone with the technical support staff at Leica Camera USA.

I'm just wondering one thing...is it so difficult to replace the camera if this kind of problem is happening often? That was my first question when I waited patiently for a month without any kind of response from the Leica people.

Being a Canon and Sony customer (with DSLR's and with old point and shoot digital cameras) I have to say that by far, Leica has the slowest, most disappointing customer service in my 15 years of experience with digital cameras. Not only they didn't solve my problem fast, they just didn't replaced the camera as they told me in the first place, instead, the camera was sent to "repair" and it's on the way back to Mexico, yes, 3 months and 13 days later. 3 months for this? gosh, I want 1/4 of my money back simply because I didn't had the camera to use it.

Now the camera is on UPS and I guess I will get it back on monday, the thing is, I just don't know if the camera is going to work well from this point or not, but being a new customer of Leica cameras I am really disappointed about all this experience.

Is this problem with the D Lux 3 something common? I've seen some post about it and it seems like Leica is not doing anything to clarify this.

I gues I will stick to my 30D with Canon when I want good pictures and buy a new Sony digicam that at least "is gonna" work for the whole year.

I have the same problem. I got the Leica D-Lux 3 for Christmas and the screen is black ! Unfortunately, the person who bought it for me bought it last year in NY and never filled out the warranty form. If I send it back to Leica in New Jersey, do you think I will get it fixed even though it's not under warranty, considering it seems to be a know problem to the camera ? I am considering taking to the "Centro" to see if it can be fixed...

• 2 weeks later...