Leica Tri Elmar 28-35-50 and 6 bit coding

mvravr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought a used E55 (not 49) Tri Elmar which is not 6 bit coded. Have never owned anything but fixed lenses so far. If I have it 6 bit coded by Leica, will the camera recognize what focal length I am utilizing (not the viewfinder but the electronics)?

The answer is yes once the lens is coded.

However, even after the lens is coded, the match between the lens & body can be imperfect. See my thread here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/278248-auto-lens-detection-glitch-w-28-a.html

I just bought a used E55 (not 49) Tri Elmar which is not 6 bit coded. Have never owned anything but fixed lenses so far. If I have it 6 bit coded by Leica, will the camera recognize what focal length I am utilizing (not the viewfinder but the electronics)?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My coded 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar works nearly perfectly on the M240. The only tiny glitch and it is the same on my M9, is that the framelines tab is slightly sticky going from 28 to 50 and you have to go beyond 50 and come back again, for the frame lines to appear properly. It was set up on my M8, where the framelines change works perfectly.

Wilson

My coded 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar works nearly perfectly on the M240. The only tiny glitch and it is the same on my M9, is that the framelines tab is slightly sticky going from 28 to 50 and you have to go beyond 50 and come back again, for the frame lines to appear properly. It was set up on my M8, where the framelines change works perfectly.

Wilson

This problem can be fixed. It probably need to replace the spring. You can send it to any Leica repairer. I had mine (sold) fixed and coded for about $130.

This problem can be fixed. It probably need to replace the spring. You can send it to any Leica repairer. I had mine (sold) fixed and coded for about $130.

In that the rest of it works just fine, I can live with this minor irritation. The spring was replaced when it went back to Solms for another problem but it made no difference to the frame change issue. At one point it was spending more time at Solms that it was with me, for focusing problems and wrong EXIF lengths showing up, so now that the rest is correct, I don't want to mess with it.

Given the difficulties that Leica have had with this lens, I am not totally surprised that they have never reissued it, even though I think it would be a good seller. With the improved high ISO of the M240, it is going to be even more useful as a travel lens. The downside is that the increased pixels are going to show the optical weaknesses of the 28mm length even more.

Mine must have been one of the last made, as it was a 30% M8 discount lens and was one of the very few made as a coded lens, rather than coded later.

Wilson

• 2 months later...

I have version one (E55) I bought 1999 and it has served me well on M6TTL and M7. Now when I have finally switched to M8 this lens needs some black dots. Has anyone have his/her MATE 6-dit coded recently at Leica and is it worth of the cost? (How much?) Are there any real benefits other than have the focal length in exit data?

I prefer permanent coding and have done it on my 24, 35, 75 and 90 lenses by replacing the bayonet ring with those available on ebay. It is easy to do and I haven't noticed any negative issues but on MATE this DIY fix is probably out of the question because of the frame select cam/lever.

I have version one (E55) I bought 1999 and it has served me well on M6TTL and M7. Now when I have finally switched to M8 this lens needs some black dots. Has anyone have his/her MATE 6-dit coded recently at Leica and is it worth of the cost? (How much?) Are there any real benefits other than have the focal length in exit data?

I prefer permanent coding and have done it on my 24, 35, 75 and 90 lenses by replacing the bayonet ring with those available on ebay. It is easy to do and I haven't noticed any negative issues but on MATE this DIY fix is probably out of the question because of the frame select cam/lever.

I think you would see noticeable improvements at both 35 and especially 28mm by coding. Your lens, given its age, might well benefit from a service at Solms, which could be combined with having the coding done. There a lot of sliding sleeves and cams inside this lens and they all need to be properly lubricated.

Wilson

• Like 1

I think you would see noticeable improvements at both 35 and especially 28mm by coding. Your lens, given its age, might well benefit from a service at Solms, which could be combined with having the coding done. There a lot of sliding sleeves and cams inside this lens and they all need to be properly lubricated.

Wilson

The lens has been once at Solms on its early age, about four year old. I noticed some softness in the pictures, scanned and emailed the sample and they asked to send the lens in. They said that some lubricant might have evaporated sticking on lens element surface when used in warm climate (Australia, Indonesia).

It came back in pristine condition at no cost and it still works well and turns smoothly but of course new CLA wouldn't do any harm.

Lake Pielinen beach in Finland at yesterday 0:57.

M8, MATE 28 (or 35), f4, 1/8s, handheld, ISO 160, without coding.

Regards,

Jouni

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by airscrew

• 2 months later...

I have a MATE 28-35-50 E55 with 6 bit code. Everything worked fine on my M9. My M240 will not read the code for the camera to recognize the focal length and camera will not function properly with camera set to auto and auto ISO. If I use manual settings the focal length I set shows properly, but only for the focal length set. Wondering if anyone has any insight here. I also noticed that when I first snap the lens on the camera, it seems to read properly, but when I touch the shutter button, the camera stops reading the code

Three thoughts:

1) Clean the LED sensor area with some lens cleaner - there may be some dirt/mount grease on it preventing the camera reading the code.

2) With the lens unmounted, can you check that the framelines tab is moving as you change focal length.

3) Mount a lens which brings up the 28/90 framelines a few times in case there is a bit of fluff in the framelines sensor area of the mount on the body.

The MATE is working perfectly on my M240. If you press info and move the focal length ring, you can see the focal length change on the info. I assume you already have lens detection set to automatic and have not selected a different profile which has manual lens detection selected. I know occasionally I have thought on all my digital M's, why it is doing that? Only to find it is me that had changed to a different profile. Finally is the lens lock tab clicking into place properly?

Wilson

Wilson. Tried your suggestions, but no luck so far. I have 10 coded Leica lenses. Eight primes plus MATE and WATE. All eight primes register correctly. The WATE brings up only 4/16mm, no matter what focal length lens is set at. The MATE always shows as uncoded. The MATE also shows correct frame lines for all three focal lengths.

So the six code patches on your lens are misplaced. The M9 is slightly less sensitive to minor misplacement than the M, so the accuracy of the coding may be good enough for the M9 but not for the M. If the coding of your Tri-Elmar was done by Leica Camera, they should fix it under warranty.