50mm Summicron lens hood

Guest Mr. B

Guest Mr. B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know of an alternative to the pull out lens hood on the current 50mm Summicron? All my other lenses have more traditional lens hoods. I find the pull out lens hood on the 50mm Summicron to be very inadequate. The older versions did come with a more traditional lens hood. Leica must have been cutting production cost, but they sure didn't cut the price of the lens. When I purchased my Summicron new it was (only) $995 new this was in 2002. I love the lens but over the years I have often wondered if there was any alternative to the tiny pull out hood.

Thank you

Mr. B

You really think Leica were cutting corners to make it cheaper? But 'cutting corners' is a clue that leads to the answer. The pull out lens hood is the best way to avoid cutting a large corner out of the image frame. A clip on hood would by necessity be bigger and crop more of the image :)

But it depends where priorities lie, if flare is spoiling your pictures you can get a screw on lens hood from Ebay that will be larger. A $10 metal hood is all you need and won't break the bank if it doesn't work out for you.

Steve

Well the clip on hood for my 1st rigid type Summicron with the cutouts (12575?) obscures much less than a the older flared hood. And on my Summilux which is the last pre aspheric type, the pull out hood is also not much use, so I put a heavystar vented hood on it, looks better, probably works better and obscures less of the viewfinder than the pull-out hood.

I'm sure heavystar has E39 vented hoods, I would try that.

Gerry