Remote cable release for M240 - has Leica modified their standard one?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got my drawer open with cable releases and of the 15, only one goes in more than a full turn, which is necessary to have a reliable attachment. It is a Petri cable release with a short tapered part. Can't measure difference in pitch. There may be some difference in tapering angle, looks like 15 degrees. Prontor, Nikon, Linhof and ones without a name all fail.

It would be nice to have a list of ones that do fit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Is there a consensus on this now that a few more users have the M240 in their hands?

Does the official Leica cable release from the M9 work in the M240?

Leica seem to have changed the thread quietly without changing the part number. A number of us have superficially identical looking Leica cables, some of which fit and some don't (mine doesn't). I think it is as arbitrary as trying a cable to see how far it screws in and is it secure. You don't know how old the stock is, that a Leica dealer might sell you. I don't imagine there is a huge turnover in their sportingly priced cable releases.

Not very helpful I know but the point is, don't buy before you try.

Wilson

PS If you have a look further up this thread, you will see a pic I posted showing how different the threads are.

• Like 1

Ok, comparing the Leica release cable on the M9 and M240. On the M9 it takes up 1.5 turns of the thread and 'sits in' nicely. On the M it takes about half a turn and although 'in' doesn't feel seated 'into' the release button at all. I get the feeling a slight knock will strip the thread right out. Not the case on the M9.

What a strange/stupid move?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is exactly parallel to my experience. The slightest knock and it will come out of the M240. Shutter release threads should be as standard as the SD card. I have over 100 year old cameras which use this thread, why on earth change it.

Wilson

• Like 1

Two reasons, neither acceptable to me.

1) Money.

2) Shite design / QC

I think it's reason #2. I seem to vaguely remember an article on the Internet (forum post? blog entry? review article?) I've read several months ago where someone brought this changed threads issue to the attention of Leica product manager Stefan Daniel, and he was very surprised to hear about it. Obviously it was not changed on purpose but is just an issue of poor quality.

I just tried it on my own copy (delivered in early May), and indeed the cable release threads are as you described—the cable release gets stuck after about half a turn, and while it does work this way, it does not feel alright. I am surprised the issue still isn't resolved yet ... but I guess it will, sooner or later.

• Like 2

I think it's reason #2. I seem to vaguely remember an article on the Internet (forum post? blog entry? review article?) I've read several months ago where someone brought this changed threads issue to the attention of Leica product manager Stefan Daniel, and he was very surprised to hear about it. Obviously it was not changed on purpose but is just an issue of poor quality.

I just tried it on my own copy (delivered in early May), and indeed the cable release threads are as you described—the cable release gets stuck after about half a turn, and while it does work this way, it does not feel alright. I am surprised the issue still isn't resolved yet ... but I guess it will, sooner or later.

With the obligatory 4 week trip to and from Solms, I wonder if the "lug" cameras had their release buttons changed while at Solms? Nightmare for those users if there is a recall again for this issue. And it is an issue.

And it is an issue.

Unlike the strap lug mess, the cable release issue is not really severe and definitely no reason to send the camera to Solms for an immediate fix. After all, the cable release does work even though it attaches sloppily, and the camera, the cable release, the photographer, and the photographs are not at risk in any way.

So lets wait until the issue is officially solved, then have it fixed on your own copy when you're sending it in for some other fix or CLA job at some point. Most likely, any local repair shop will be able to fix it as soon as properly machined replacement release buttons are available ... no need to send it back all the way to Solms from overseas.

• Like 1

With the obligatory 4 week trip to and from Solms, I wonder if the "lug" cameras had their release buttons changed while at Solms? Nightmare for those users if there is a recall again for this issue. And it is an issue.

No they did not and the later cameras (my lug repair went totally wrong and the M240 had to be replaced) are exactly the same. Maybe we should send a copy of the drawings below to Leica.

Wilson

PS In Metric it is a tapered M3 thread

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 3

Unlike the strap lug mess, the cable release issue is not really severe and definitely no reason to send the camera to Solms for an immediate fix. After all, the cable release does work even though it attaches sloppily, and the camera, the cable release, the photographer, and the photographs are not at risk in any way.

So lets wait until the issue is officially solved, then have it fixed on your own copy when you're sending it in for some other fix or CLA job at some point. Most likely, any local repair shop will be able to fix it as soon as properly machined replacement release buttons are available ... no need to send it back all the way to Solms from overseas.

Yes, very true, it doesn't effect critical function but it sure is damn sloppy on a €6000 camera body! And it effects my value judgement each time I tentatively half wind the cable release in.

I take it from all of the above discussion that although the release cables don't fit quite as they used to, they still work? The reason I ask is that my cable wont even release the shutter when connected to the M240. Am I doing something daft? I cant think what the reason could be for a cable release not working other than there being a fault in the camera release button. The cables I am using are budget ones that used to work fine on the M8 and M9. Any ideas???

I take it from all of the above discussion that although the release cables don't fit quite as they used to, they still work? The reason I ask is that my cable wont even release the shutter when connected to the M240. Am I doing something daft? I cant think what the reason could be for a cable release not working other than there being a fault in the camera release button. The cables I am using are budget ones that used to work fine on the M8 and M9. Any ideas???

Mine does not. It comes undone if you press the release too firmly - useless.

Wilson

I am looking for a recall program from Leica on the cable release. Cheaper than sending the camera back. Mine is about 15 years old but is the current code and has its original box etc. It does not screw properly into the M240. I've got plenty of other "standard" cables for use with all the other cameras.

Edited by Peter Branch
Changed a word

Has anyone tried turning your cable end in 400 grit wet-dry sandpaper. Just a little, try the fit, repeat...

Pico,

If you look at my image of a normal Leica cable release and the modified thread on my softie made for an M240, I think the difference is too much for 400 paper. It's a case of "round peg - square 'ole."

Wilson

• Like 2

Same problems for me. The Leica cable release is the mirror image of the Hama one. On a recent trip I actually broke 2 cable release ends inside the shutter button and needed my Leatherman tool to remove the broken end from the inside of the shutter button. Highly frustrating. Will be in Solms next week and this is one item for discussion.

I have had good luck with a Japanese cable release which I can no longer find available and since traveling right now do not have the name of manufacturer handy. It has a red covering instead of black.

• Like 1

Same problems for me. The Leica cable release is the mirror image of the Hama one. On a recent trip I actually broke 2 cable release ends inside the shutter button and needed my Leatherman tool to remove the broken end from the inside of the shutter button. Highly frustrating. Will be in Solms next week and this is one item for discussion.

I have had good luck with a Japanese cable release which I can no longer find available and since traveling right now do not have the name of manufacturer handy. It has a red covering instead of black.

Algrove,

May I ask you to post the results of your discussions with Leica? I suspect the usual bland assurances and platitudes, when you ask them about something that they have got wrong.

When I went there in 2007, when their service department was at its worst. Their reaction was "what us make mistakes, send things back totally unrepaired or made worse? You must have the wrong people." It was like talking to a wall made out of marshmallow. You wanted to scream at them "for god's sake wake up and smell the coffee - you will go out of business if you keep this up."

Wilson

• Like 1